PDA

View Full Version : Lost non-electrical computer guy, no blinky flashy

flash383
11-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I'll start by apologizing for this being very elementary. I'm sure this is in here somewhere but I have little concept of a voltmeter and I taught myself how to solder for this project so please bear with me as I assure you I'm lost and losing my mind. I've been working on this for the last few weeks in my spare time and it's getting way too close.

I've gone through the grinch and tested resistance on points throughout and all looks good. I've made 3 different parallel cables both with and without adapters, I've cut a 6 foot cable and soldered and connected a cat5 cable.

I can run a vixen test which does on/off every second, and I can see that on pin 8, and get resistance on the others. I'm assuming that the parallel port is ok.

The power continues to the ssr and the led is lit. I've made a new poawer cord for the ssr and reattached the just to be sure. I know that I'm getting 120 to the ssr from the wall but nothing ever gets to the cords off of the ssr to the lights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bmcgeeny
11-20-2008, 01:07 AM
I'll start by apologizing for this being very elementary. I'm sure this is in here somewhere but I have little concept of a voltmeter and I taught myself how to solder for this project so please bear with me as I assure you I'm lost and losing my mind. I've been working on this for the last few weeks in my spare time and it's getting way too close.

I've gone through the grinch and tested resistance on points throughout and all looks good. I've made 3 different parallel cables both with and without adapters, I've cut a 6 foot cable and soldered and connected a cat5 cable.

I can run a vixen test which does on/off every second, and I can see that on pin 8, and get resistance on the others. I'm assuming that the parallel port is ok.

The power continues to the ssr and the led is lit. I've made a new poawer cord for the ssr and reattached the just to be sure. I know that I'm getting 120 to the ssr from the wall but nothing ever gets to the cords off of the ssr to the lights.

Did you set your parallel to EPP. I know that is the number one offender if the board is good.

RavingLunatic
11-20-2008, 08:12 AM
The wiki is our friend:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_GRINCH_Controller

and the Beginner's Setup Guide is our teacher:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beginner%E2%80%99s_Setup_Guide_%E2 %80%93_The_Grinch

and the Troubleshooting Guide is our doctor:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Guide_%E2%80%93_Th e_Grinch

bmcgeeny
11-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Did you set your parallel to EPP. I know that is the number one offender if the board is good.

flash383
11-29-2008, 09:59 PM
After hours and hours of going round and round, I finally have blinky flashy. Everything was set right and even though I made all new cables, changed machines, used different versions of vixen and from what I could tell all of my voltages were correct, I still couldn't find anything wrong. I finally started from the beginning and hit all of my solder spots on the grinch again and it all miraculously works now.

Can't say for sure what happened but thanks for the help. I guess October wasn't early enough to start. I'm behind and just in time for rain tomorrow but I'll be able to get something up and hopefully next year will go smoother.

Plus I just realized this was the wrong forum. Sorry bout that, just figured I'd follow up.