PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Tear and a Big Thank You !

sjwilson122
11-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to everyone here. We have just begun setting up for Christmas and my son had built a three channel color organ from a kit to use inside the house. He was really disheartened when he discovered that do to the scr design it would not properly light up the led light strings (only half the string would light). Since we decided to go computer controle for outside this year I have been building Grinches, ren-c's, SSr, etc.. I had some extra parts so using one of my two spare Allegro chips, a small breadboard and other parts my son and I made a "mini Grinch" controller. He kept asking if it would work and was making sequences when we were not working on his "mini Grinch".
We got it done tonight and I have to be honest, its ugly. No fancy connectors or neat and clean circuit boards. Just point to point wiring and what looks like wire everywhere. The first run it did not work and the disappointment on my sons face was almost to much for me. After checking all the vixen settings I remembered to check the comm port settings and changed it to EPP. The next test the lights started flashing as soon as my son hit play! His eyes got as big as dinner plates, he started screaming "it works" and screaming for everyone to come look. He gave me the biggest hug and smile (and double knuckle touch) as he said thank you.
To see the joy and excitment on his face and in his eyes brought a tear to mine. This is Christmas, bringing joy and happiness to those we love. I could not have made that "mini Grinch" without the knowledge and sharring from everyone here. To everyone here I say "THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!, THANK YOU! and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

P.S. We are now official members of the Blinky Flashy family!:D

tonypgst
11-18-2008, 12:26 AM
That is a touching story. Thanks for sharing.

wbuehler
11-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Nice work

:D

ErnieHorning
11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
That’s really cool! The first time is the greatest memory; though it’s still pretty cool when we old guys see something work the first time too.

Because of this moment, you may have started the little guy on a life long hobby. Some day he may create something that nobody’s thought of and we can learn from him!

Virtus
11-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Scott,

Two things stand out to me in your story and neither is Christmas light related. First, teaching your son that not everything is easy and that it is okay to fail along the way to a success. The second is that you took time away from your hobby to work on your real project...teaching your boy how to tackle a challenge amd complete an effort...how to be a man.

I hope both your projects turn out well.

Wombat
11-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Well Done to both of you for persevering and accomplishing the goal I hope you get many more happy moments from the hobby as I do every year

Keep up the good work

Wombat

Wayne J
11-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Just reading this brought a tear to my eye. It is really a great thing when a family can have moments as these.

draksig
11-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Nice story, thanks for sharing it. How about posting a pic of the Mini-grinch? Sounds like a nice mini-project for projects that don't need a full size grinch.