PDA

View Full Version : 3M window film works great for covering P10 panels

brichi
01-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Hey guys, I haven't seen this discussed yet and thought I would share

while covering my house windows in this clear film I thought hey, this may work great for waterproofing the P10 matrix. I grabbed a sheet and tried it and it looks and works awesome, here are some pics, hope this helps in anyones future projects.

If anyone has tried this please let me know how its holding up

3m window kit - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VSD9DG/ref=asc_df_B000VSD9DG5328541/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B000VSD9DG&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093463189&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1897253410238457060&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004479&hvtargid=pla-350596514065

pics of my small 4 panel covered as a test

https://www.dropbox.com/s/574055blnigyh0m/IMG_0551.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0vbjsi5tv93rav/IMG_0550.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aozxcjmei99374y/IMG_0549.JPG?dl=0

Rooster519
01-07-2018, 03:07 PM
That's pretty awesome. I'm curious about how that will hold up against some heavy winds, driving snow or sleet.

brichi
01-07-2018, 03:11 PM
its pretty solid, I have a hard time putting my finger through it as a test before I put it on. it comes with really good clear double stick tape which I have wrapped around the entire outer boarder so its on there really good, then you take a hair dryer to it to get out the wrinkles and kind of seal it better all around. Im really happy with it so far

Once I come up with a final build I may wrap the entire unit in it, front and back and then take a hose to it all around to see how it holds up.

My game plan is to keep the power supplies on the outside of it so not real heat gets in

joeytx
01-09-2018, 08:11 AM
This product is either a polyethylene shrink film or polypropylene, they use both. We manufacture shrink films, same as what you use for packaging games, toys, software, etc.. The PE shrink films have a high oxygen/water transfer while the PP is very low. The films are manufactured in gauges from 30 (.003) to over 400. The films increase in thickness as the return to their original state; when he is applied. All in all the PE shrinks films are toughest and provide a better environmental package.

brichi
01-09-2018, 08:34 AM
This product is either a polyethylene shrink film or polypropylene, they use both. We manufacture shrink films, same as what you use for packaging games, toys, software, etc.. The PE shrink films have a high oxygen/water transfer while the PP is very low. The films are manufactured in gauges from 30 (.003) to over 400. The films increase in thickness as the return to their original state; when he is applied. All in all the PE shrinks films are toughest and provide a better environmental package.

thanks for the info, I am not sure what the 3M is made of but it definitely stiffens up (giggity) once you hit it with a hair dryer

covewi
01-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Fantastic - having the PS outside will decrease the heat build up. However the green house effect from the plastic will definitely increase the temp inside the P10 enclosure - especially on a bright sunny day.

Temps inside my matrix reached 125 - 130 degrees. Another concern is if you live in a real cold area the heat from the PS can actually keep the operating temp for the electronics more stable.

brichi
01-09-2018, 09:30 AM
yeah, all trial and error for me, i am definitely keeping the power supply on the outside of my matrix, its ease to do in my situation because i am hanging them from a window and i can just feed the power and ethernet right though into my bedrooms

Cdanna77
03-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Just wondering if there was any follow up to how this has worked out. maybe with some pics. hehe

brichi
03-15-2018, 07:53 AM
This is working out great so far but I definitely need to redo it one more time before the season decorating starts and cover up the corners being when I have been moving it a lot running tests on the screen the sharp edges obviously cut through the film. Im think of doing plastic black stick on corners after I wrap it again, maybe ill do 2 wraps to make it stronger too. here is a pic I have when I wrapped like 4 panels as a test. there are some pics in the first post too if they still work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aozxcjmei99374y/IMG_0549.JPG?dl=0

Cdanna77
03-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Ah very nice. (sorry work pc blocks links so I didn't even see the first ones) yeah I think I'm going to give this a try. I like the idea of adding a second layer and I see your point(had to) about the sharp corners.. Thanks for the follow up.

brichi
03-15-2018, 08:19 AM
anytime! if you come up with different ideas let me know too, I have been testing now so its weather proof finally by November when I put them up, still kicking around ideas on how im hanging these and weather proofing

ukewarrior
03-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Please keep sharing your build and experiences especially the garden hose test !

dirknerkle
03-15-2018, 03:46 PM
There's probably a little room to play with on the corners and you might be able to round the corners just a tad to help prevent the corner from cutting through. Another idea is to put a bead of hot glue along the sharp edges and corners as a strain relief.

brichi
03-15-2018, 04:32 PM
I love the hot glue idea on the corners, I may try that before I wrap on the final screen. Still working out issues before I waterproof and store away and need to figure out how im hanging these beasts on my house