PDA

View Full Version : First Year: PiCap + FPP + Sound?

splaxx
11-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Hey all,

First of all, I just want to thank everyone for all the help you have already provided me. I have been reading this forum for about a year, and this is the first year I am planning to do a display.

My setup looks like this:

(1x) RaspberryPi 2 + PiCap
(2x) 400w 5v Power Supplies
416 lights on channel 1, 480 on channel 2
1W FM Transmitter

I have everything working, except I don't know how to pipe sound into the FM transmitter. From what I understand the PiCap uses the channels needed for sound in order to control the timing of the lights. I have plenty of other Raspi's/arduinos/etc laying around. How do I solve this problem?

Thanks!

MartinMueller2003
11-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Have you tried plugging into the PI 3.5mm jack?

Utimgr
11-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Also make sure that the boot configuration directs the audio to the RCA jack, probably does by default. In one of my applications I drive it out the HDMI port.

Bwinter
11-28-2017, 04:21 PM
You won't be able to use the Pi's 3.5 mm phono jack with a PiHat/PiCap.

First solution:
You'll need to use a USB-3.5 mm phono jack plugged into the Pi

Second solution:
Use a spare Pi to drive the audio (Master) from the 3.5mm phono jack, and to also drive the Pi (Remote) that has the PiHat/PiCap.

splaxx
11-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Thank you Bwinter, how do I learn about setting up Remote/Master in FPP?

Bwinter
11-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Thank you Bwinter, how do I learn about setting up Remote/Master in FPP?

Install FPP on both Pi, and get them properly configured to your wireless router (I presume you already have this done for the one, but I'm not quite sure where you are in the entire process).

On the main FPP page, you have the option of setting each device: Stand-Alone, Master, Remote, etc. Set the one with audio to MASTER, and the one with the Hat/Cap to REMOTE. On the MASTER, you'll need to identify which REMOTE it needs to control--this is also done within some of the settings.

Start your playlist from the MASTER and the REMOTE should follow.

splaxx
11-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Perfect, thank you very much!

aknflyer
11-29-2017, 03:22 AM
check the boxes on the multisync page for the remotes you want to sync. I use the master only for syncing and running the FM transmitter.