PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Do?

covewi
11-23-2017, 09:27 AM
How do you handle turning your Rasp Pi on and off for your show?
Do you have the PS on a timer?
Do you manually have to go into the FPP and do a "shutdown"?

If a schedule is completed can the PS be shut down (like with a timer) without corrupting the FPP software and then have the timer turn the PS back on the next day?

Thanks

DrNeutron
11-23-2017, 09:42 AM
I leave mine on....
It goes on Oct 1st and gets shut down Jan 2nd.
No issues thus far, this is my 3rd year with the pi.
Same with all my controllers in the yard.

ezellner
11-23-2017, 10:06 AM
I leave mine for the entire season. We have had power outages occur but everything powers back up properly when power is restored. Haven't had any issues so far.

MartinMueller2003
11-23-2017, 10:11 AM
i leave mine on. you do need to shut down the pi prior to removing power. when i was shutting down every day, i ran a cron job at 10 pm too shut down the pi and then turned off the power at 10:30.

schuricg
11-23-2017, 10:13 AM
I am putting mine on a zwave controlled outlet. Adding one for the pi and radio transmitter and several fir the controllers and my router. I find my router powers up too slow after a power failure and the Pi running FPP does not pick up the current time and locks up and never checks if the internet is on again to get the current time. This caused my show to fail last year. Figured most of my house is on my Smartthings hub might as well add Christmas as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stallionent
11-23-2017, 10:44 AM
My PI has been on since 2015, never turn it off, no problems.

covewi
11-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Awesome to know everyones ideas. Are the PS's that sturdy to run continually for years?

MartinMueller2003
11-23-2017, 12:15 PM
as long as they are not over heating they can run a loong time

stallionent
11-23-2017, 01:44 PM
I use a wall wart for 5v power

mrGrumpy
11-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Not a wall wart fan, but I do run a dedicated PS 4A 5V for my Show Pi....running SHOW Pi constant since 2015 season. I do have something every holiday, so it is used all year long. I find comfort doing reboot every once in a while, may bi-monthly....just to clear anything that has stuck in memory and shouldn't have.

But my tune-to sign gets shut down every morning and every night....without a shutdown. Over 1000 power off without a single shutdown and no issues lately. I do shutdown when only when the show is over FPP is idle, and I turned off all logging that I can. However, last year I was having GF issues and it shutdown several times during the show. No corrupted SD then either. This is typical of all 3 P10's - mostly Zero's

But, even with that said, I keep a couple spare, fully loaded SDs, just in case something gets corrupted on a bad shutdown. It generally damages the boot track so no reboot is possible.

dcamron
11-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Bad things happen if you don't shut FPP properly. If you use a timer then make sure you do a shutdown first.

Ruppro
11-23-2017, 09:35 PM
You would think that they would put a "Shutdown" option in the scheduler so you could simply add it as a scheduled event, either are the "Last" item in your show's playlist, played only once or in a separate playlist

CaptainMurdoch
11-23-2017, 11:53 PM
You would think that they would put a "Shutdown" option in the scheduler so you could simply add it as a scheduled event, either are the "Last" item in your show's playlist, played only once or in a separate playlist

It is something I considered adding to the new playlist code I am working on but since the new playlist will let you run scripts directly and we have a shutdown script that can be installed easily, there isn't much need to add it to the playlist code directly.

mrGrumpy
11-24-2017, 12:12 AM
It is something I considered adding to the new playlist code I am working on but since the new playlist will let you run scripts directly and we have a shutdown script that can be installed easily, there isn't much need to add it to the playlist code directly.

For those of us who donít do scripts on the norm, would it be a lot of effort to add a playlist button to shutdown after last song.

CaptainMurdoch
11-26-2017, 08:57 PM
For those of us who donít do scripts on the norm, would it be a lot of effort to add a playlist button to shutdown after last song.

There is already a script in the script repository to shutdown, you just need to install it and associate it with an event and run the event from your playlist or another scheduled playlist that runs after your main playlist ends.

That being said, I am gong to be working on the new playlist code during December in hopes of running it on my display before the lights turn off for the season in January so if I get that done, it should include support to run the shutdown script directly without creating an event.

IrishAle
11-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Mine has been up for over a year (except for power outages)... honestly, it's out of sight, out of mind crammed into the back of my entertainment center (where my main switch is). I've had no issues (Pi2).