PDA

View Full Version : Pi3 running FPP with Falcon F4V3 - tunnelling thru the F4V3 to the Pi3?

Utimgr
11-20-2017, 11:41 AM
I plan on using the Pi3 running FPP (its working fine) and connecting to the F4V3. I've connected the network to the F4V3 and I can log into its admin webpage, either port seems to work fine. The box I am going to install this will be outside and I have ethernet available there (when I built my house, I ran CAT5 there thinking, maybe I will need it one day). As others have lamented, the wifi on the Pi3 is not that great, its constantly dropping on me. The single ethernet port on the Pi3 needs to be connected to the F4V3, in order for it to be a show computer.

So I want to be able to update the sequencing on the Pi3 as desired/required. So the choices I see in front of me are

1. Add a second port on the Pi3 using a USB ethernet adapter.
2. Put the Pi3 inside the house where I can get access to it, running the CAT5 out to the F4V3 board
3. Tunnel thru the F4V3 to the Pi3. Does the F4V3 support this?

Option 3, makes me wonder if the traffic from the Pi3 to the controller will cause issues on the network for the amount of traffic it will run. Most say don't put them on the same network.

pburton
11-20-2017, 07:35 PM
The F4v3 is just a tiny, two port Ethernet switch. Plug your home network into one port and the pi3 into the other. Both devices will be on your home network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Utimgr
11-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Thats what I thought...just hadn't gotten there yet, mounting everything in a box at the moment. Does the show controller (Pi) put alot of traffic on the network? Worse case is I would add a WAP to the control box and access it that way, keeping it on a private network, so to speak.

pburton
11-21-2017, 10:38 PM
I went down this path this year. Here is what I learned. If you add an isolated network for the lights and you are running FPP on a Pi, then you will have issues with the clock on the Pi. The Pi needs NTP, or I have heard others adding a real time clock to the Pi.

I wanted to access the Pi and controller interfaces from my laptop in the house, but I had no cables between inside and outside. I had a dual radio access point hanging around. I set one antenna to act as the wifi for the lights network (so my laptop can access the FPP) and the second antenna acts as a wifi client on my home network (so the Pi can reach the Internet NTP servers). The benefit for me was that I did not need to run any cables from inside my house to outside. I used a Pi 2b, so I didn't have wifi on my Pi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Utimgr
11-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Good thought...so you have 2.4Ghz and a 5GHz link active, I hadn't thought about that. I have a spare dual band WAP, that I was planning on using for this so it may solve the problem. And your right about the Pi wanting to sync with the time stamp. The only way around that is to resync it if it ever loses power. Might be nice if there was a way within FPP to get a "cmd" window to provide access to the root area.

Appreciate your insight on this!

CaptainMurdoch
11-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Might be nice if there was a way within FPP to get a "cmd" window to provide access to the root area.

FPP has a built in ssh client that is accessible under the help menu if you need to get to the command prompt for some reason. The normal 'pi' user is disabled but you can login as the 'fpp' user.