PDA

View Full Version : ren-t, ren-c, and my lonely 595's

robbleece
11-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've also been running (3) modified 595x64's for a couple years now, but I'm really looking forward to dimming this year. My modified boards are the same with the addition of optical isolaters. Couple of questions that I can't seem to figure out on my own.

1. I'm currently feeding power from a hdd connector directly to the 595's through the input port and chaining them up to the other controllers. Should I (i) build a ren-t and inject the power to the ren-c.? (ii) change the power input from the input port directly to the 595's power pins? or (iii) some other way?

2. When I am daisy chaining the 2 non-dimming 595's and the ren-c 595, what order should they be connected? or does it even matter?

If I'm missing any details, or if you have any other tips, please post up.

Thanks again! This forum has been so comprehensive.

daviddth
11-06-2008, 07:04 AM
the 2 non-dimming 595's will run on the parallel port, but the ren-C connects the 595 via serial, thus it will be on a com port and the other 2 still on a parallel port

You can provide power directly to the ren C (Not sure about the Ren-T as I built my own ZC setup rather than use a ren-t - 1 centre tapped transforemer, a few diodes and resistors - about $15 in parts max)

Dave

cobraman44
11-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Check out this thread.
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2690&highlight=ren-c+setup

robbleece
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
the 2 non-dimming 595's will run on the parallel port, but the ren-C connects the 595 via serial, thus it will be on a com port and the other 2 still on a parallel port

That makes sense to me now. I guess I should quit trying to re-engineer this in my head, and just start building it. :)

Thanks for the help guys!