PDA

View Full Version : Can i even use FPP player with SSD and regular not RGB christmas lights?

Pcguy17
11-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Okay so i just got my memory card today and my flash drive for my new raspberry pi that should be here tomorrow. but ive decided to not try and learn all about RGB lights this year and leave it for next year this year all i want to do is build scqences and add my music and have a light show i planed to use the Falcon player to stick the Vixen 3 sqences into it for it to play but is that even going to work? or do i need something besides the falcon to do it?
ive seen in the utube videos something called python mentioned. i really like the way Falcon seems to work and how you can set days and times of the shows and all but i just realized. it seems its just for RGB lights or am i wrong?

From how i understand, the FPP makes the Raspberry pi have the ability to do a show just from it, but it will take the files from Vixen, xlights, maybe other builders and play them correct?

Also once i put the Mem card into the Rasp pi and load it. after the season is over would i be able to use another mem card with something else on it and boot it with that and use it? until next year then put the FPP card back and use it? or is it just going be able to run the one thing when i load it?

Sorry i am totally new to the raspberry pi and all this stuff

Ruppro
11-01-2017, 09:22 PM
You are going to need some sort of controller for the lights, whether it is simple on/off relays controlled by the GPIO pins on the Pi, up to a Renard/LOR type Controller that communicates via USB to serial from the Pi

Pcguy17
11-01-2017, 09:23 PM
that's what the solid state relays are for.. that is on/off . they are controlled by the gipins
just wanted to know can and will the Falcon controller control the relay board or will it only control the pi cap with rgbs

thanks

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

MartinMueller2003
11-01-2017, 09:52 PM
The PI + FPP software = a powerful scheduling and playback tool that "KNOWS ALMOST NOTHING ABOUT RGB SMART PIXELS". The PI+FPP is the equivalent of a PC or laptop driving the show. You will always need to add something more that can control the lights themselves.

A Renard controller comes in a version that controls AC lights using AC SSRs and connects to the PI via a USB-to-RS485 Serial adapter
A Renard controller comes in a version that controls DC lights using DC SSRs and connects to the PI via a USB-to-RS485 Serial adapter
A PI Hat combines RGB Pixel outputs, Real time clock and RS485 Serial outputs in a simple to use (attach) format.
The FPP software can send E1.31 data to a variety of controllers via the Ethernet or WiFI interfaces.
E1.31 based controllers can drive AC SSRs, DC SSRs and/or smart pixels

The point is, no mater whether you are using a PI or a PC, you will need to get something that controls the lights and that something is typically called a "controller". Which controller you purchase depends on the type of lights you are controlling and how fine grained you want that control. Cheap SSRs and Relays do on/off. Better SSRs do dimming (I would not even consider a non dimming solution in my show). The finest level of control is Smart Pixels (also the most complex to manage).

Martin

Bwinter
11-01-2017, 09:57 PM
The Wiki has great info for beginners.

Pcguy17
11-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Okay, so I guess yes it will work. everyone on utube who is using a rasp pi. and a ssr is hooking wall outlets strict to the ssr and plugging lights into and making the pi switch on and off. but most I don't think are using the fpp there using other code. ild just wanted know if I could use the fpp thsnks

MartinMueller2003
11-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Yes the FPP has the ability to turn external relays on and off using the GPIO pins.

Pcguy17
11-01-2017, 10:17 PM
Yes the FPP has the ability to turn external relays on and off using the GPIO pins.
Alright, thanks. I should just pm you when I have a question, you must been doing this stuff for long while.

MartinMueller2003
11-02-2017, 07:07 AM
Yes you can PM me, but open forum makes the information available to more people.

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 09:39 AM
I just did this exact thing. 4 weeks ago I ordered one of the SainSmart 5v SSR's from Amazon because I wanted to do LightShowpi and work on adding pixels next year. Before my SSR even arrived I had
moved on from lightshowpi to FPP and Vixen. Before I had the SSR wired I had ordered an F4V3, PSU, and one string of test pixels haha. But yes, you can definitely use Vixen, FPP, and just the SSR and make a sweet show using A/C led light strings.

In Vixen display setup, on the left side of the screen under "elements" you'll create a "single item" for each of your relay channels. You can name the element "Red LED string" or "Channel 1", whatever makes sense to you. Once you have all your channels represented as an element like that, click on each one and at the bottom select "color handling" in the drop down and press the "Configure" cog. Choose "they are a single color" (you can set what color they are by clicking the pallet box, it doesn't matter if the color matches your string, its just a visual for you) and click ok.

On the right side of the display setup screen under "controllers" you'll setup a "streaming ACN (E1.31). just name it "controller" and give it an output for each of your relay channels, i.e. "8" or "16". Next, click on your first element on the left, then click on your controller on the right, then click "patch elements" in the center. this will "map" your selected element to "channel 1" on your controller. Continue doing this for all your elements and click "ok" in the bottom right. Your display setup is done.

On FPP you'll configure your channels in the "Input/Output Setup" tab under "Channel Outputs". Here there are 4 tabs (E1.31, Pixelnet, LED Panels, and Other) you want "Other". Click "Add" and make a "GPIO" output for each of your relay channels. Use the dropdown to map each channel to the correct GPIO pin.

When using Vixen to sequence, you want to use the "Set Level" effect for your entire show. Use that effect to turn your channel on and off when you want by dragging it onto the timeline. My SSR doesn't have dimming, its on or off, so every effect is merely "Set Level". Make a test sequence and turn all your channels on or off or whatever and save it. Then export your sequence to a fseq file. This is the file you'll upload to FPP. You can find other walkthroughs and help as far as using vixen and fpp, or just ask if you have questions.

Hopefully this helps as I just went through learning this a few weeks ago too. Good luck!3794737948379493795037951

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 09:40 AM
more pics379523795337954

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 09:52 AM
wow....thank you so much Jediosu.. Hopefully I can go in and edit to set the channel anytime cause I've already made like 3 sqeneces with vixen just wasn't sure how to set up the channels. I didn't have my raspberry yet so I figured I would figure it out later.

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 10:00 AM
You can do the "patch elements" part at any time before exporting. I screwed up making the elements several times and remade my entire first sequence about 3 times before I figured it all out haha. One trick I found if you screwed up is to make a new element correctly in the display setup, then in the sequence editor click on the "messed up" element and copy its entire sequence row and paste it into the "new" element row and save your sequence. It will copy all your settings from the old element to the new one. Then you can go back to the display setup and delete your old element.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:03 AM
ok I hadn't done anything down in the color handling part mine looks just like the pic you have its blue. your saying I should click one of my elements and then click that snd change the color???
Also I went to the controllers and clicked on the streaming acn I hit the + button to add one. I named it controller and told it 8 cause for now I ordered a 8 channel ssr.
you said I have to link the elements to a output from the right. I see in center of the screen it shows simple patching or graphical view witch one do I need?
thanks

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Oh, I understand the color handling now, I thought it was already picked that it's a single color.. when I click it and hit ok now it turns green next to my elements on the left.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:12 AM
this is what my screen looks like. can't figure out how to link each element on left to the outputs on righthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/8c5b90daa2b528fc939e3b1dcd5a6672.jpg

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:17 AM
sorry, I had to scroll down to see the "Patch elements " button.. ok so after I do all 8 of them they will all be patched together and when I set up the Falcon player how you showed it should all work.. how do you know what channels are what like I've heard people say channel 1 on the pi is channel 12 on the ssr.. is there a standard to that...
I did just wake up and had to read your post a few times. I will look at the Falcon part more when I get it onto the raspberry pi
thanks again your info is the best I've read.

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 10:19 AM
yep, you got it. Once you do that it will also make that the only color you can choose for that element in the sequencer. But of course, even if your sequence shows it as "green" you can plug "red" lights into your outlet and they'll work. So for a multi color string just pick whatever color your want in the setup. In my setup chanels 1 thru 4 are single colors (all my red strings plug into outlet 1, blue into outlet 2, etc.) and channels 5 thru 8 are each a snowflake. So in my setup element 1 is red, 2 is blue... and snowflakes 1 thru 4 (channels 5 thru 8) are all white. This way I can make my show have only red lights lit up, then green, then mixed colors yada yada yada. So you can have channel one be the left side of your house and plug all your lights from that location together, or you can have channel 1 be red lights and all your red lights in your display get strung together on the same outlet. However you decide to set it up.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:23 AM
okay, after I got that all finished I opened one of my saved sequences and it's not working. my blocks aren't there. well some are but most are black now.. Guess I should had set all that up first? if I have to totally redo them no biggie. I know how now tlat first took me forever figure it out..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/1ffe44a5d1217916ea0b22d81a65bb72.jpg

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 10:24 AM
if you went down the list then mini and mega tree red is channel 1 and star right is channel 8. When you wire your GPIO pins to your relay that is when you decide that "GPIO 4" will have a wire connecting to "relay 1" on your SSR. You'll tell FPP how you phyically wired the SSR in the "Input/output setup" screen. if you have a pi 2 or 3 use this attached pic to determine what pins to use. my setup is shown in the picture I attached earlier.37955

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 10:26 AM
your blocks are there, but they are "empty" now because the color changed. just click on the element name in your sequence to highlight the whole row, ctrl + c and copy it, delete it out, and paste it onto itself. it will put all your blocks back with the correct color

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:33 AM
if you went down the list then mini and mega tree red is channel 1 and star right is channel 8. When you wire your GPIO pins to your relay that is when you decide that "GPIO 4" will have a wire connecting to "relay 1" on your SSR. You'll tell FPP how you phyically wired the SSR in the "Input/output setup" screen. if you have a pi 2 or 3 use this attached pic to determine what pins to use. my setup is shown in the picture I attached earlier.37955
Oh, alright yeah I went in order. from top to bottom, ok the reason my blocks went showing up was from me changing the colors on the color page. do those have to all be driffrent colors for the display to light up? green and red are only two that will show up on the build page.

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 10:36 AM
ha, we're replying to each other at the same time. my last post explains about the colors not showing up. copy the whole row for that element, delete it out, paste it back in. :)

MartinMueller2003
11-02-2017, 10:48 AM
You have experienced CLAP in its truest form. As soon as you start something and promise to yourself that you don't need all that other stuff, you find that you were deceiving yourself and you really did want that other stuff and now you know how to get it. Welcome to the lighting decorators addiction.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:53 AM
your blocks are there, but they are "empty" now because the color changed. just click on the element name in your sequence to highlight the whole row, ctrl + c and copy it, delete it out, and paste it onto itself. it will put all your blocks back with the correct color
oh, alright I will try that when I go bk in there. thanks for all the help

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 10:56 AM
yes, I'm starting to think "addiction" isn't a strong enough word haha

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 10:57 AM
You have experienced CLAP in its truest form. As soon as you start something and promise to yourself that you don't need all that other stuff, you find that you were deceiving yourself and you really did want that other stuff and now you know how to get it. Welcome to the lighting decorators addiction.
Ha ha.. well ive lived for 12ish years just using the Mr christmas box, but going out seeing everyone's real animated christmas shows is what I've really wanted. So hopefully this yr I can have a small one. I only have around 6,000 lights. it's a small yard compared to some peoples..only problem is its my parents house (dad had a massive stroke last yr so I moved bk home to help them out parents both in 70s) and they have a ton of bushes blocking some the house trying get mom.let me cut some lower.it doesn't look like it did in my one pic anymore. this pic from yesterday https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/fefabe4d5c334edcab9bc122cd62dd5a.jpg

MartinMueller2003
11-02-2017, 11:03 AM
That is a nice palette. A bit bigger than my front yard but I do not have the trees blocking the sight lines. I have a bit of a side yard into which I stuff a mega tree (only 14'). Hard to tell in the picture but most of the yard on the right side belongs to the neighbor. I get permission from them to have the mega tree in their yard

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 12:17 PM
That is a nice palette. A bit bigger than my front yard but I do not have the trees blocking the sight lines. I have a bit of a side yard into which I stuff a mega tree (only 14'). Hard to tell in the picture but most of the yard on the right side belongs to the neighbor. I get permission from them to have the mega tree in their yard

Oh wow Your right on the street... they live off the 2 main roads. they meet right up from there house. imagine a triangle there in the center of it.. so there road they live on is just a gravel road with 4 houses on it.

Anyways I just got my raspberry pi and went to install the Falconplayer and it got to 23 % and the screen went blank and then it poped back up like it did when i first plugged it in and it went to a Noob v1.9- Built March 18 2016 screen where i can select the falcon player by check mark it and it let me exit or install

Why did it do that?

now when i go to install this the Ethernet cord doesn't have to be plugged in now does it? or does it

I have the mem card and flash drive in. First time i thought it was cause the flash card wasn't plugged in but it is now. does that matter?

Thanks

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 12:33 PM
it just keeps rebooting and going to this screen. I download and put on my mem card 1.8 should I try a driffrent version? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/b8affc6cc07d01b3c1f4c4d1d28455bc.jpg

ezellner
11-02-2017, 12:39 PM
it just keeps rebooting and going to this screen. I download and put on my mem card 1.8 should I try a driffrent version? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/b8affc6cc07d01b3c1f4c4d1d28455bc.jpg

I think you may have missed a step or two. You need to properly format the SD card, then you need to load the FPP software onto the SD card, then plug the SD card and your memory stick into your RPi and turn it on. It will then install both NOOBS software and then install FPP automatically. Have a speaker connected so you can get the IP address from the RPi when it starts up.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 12:55 PM
I think you may have missed a step or two. You need to properly format the SD card, then you need to load the FPP software onto the SD card, then plug the SD card and your memory stick into your RPi and turn it on. It will then install both NOOBS software and then install FPP automatically. Have a speaker connected so you can get the IP address from the RPi when it starts up.
I did format it but only with windows formatter that other one people suggested wouldn't work on my pc. is it necessary to format using the other program?
thanks

ezellner
11-02-2017, 01:01 PM
I did format it but only with windows formatter that other one people suggested wouldn't work on my pc. is it necessary to format using the other program?
thanks

How big is your SD card? I would use the other formatter otherwise you risk having the wrong format structure on your card.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 01:06 PM
How big is your SD card? I would use the other formatter otherwise you risk having the wrong format structure on your card.
32gb the mem card and flash card both 32 that's what they suggested wherever the thread is about the raspberry pi.

Jediosu
11-02-2017, 01:13 PM
I'm running on a 8GB SD card and 2GB usb drive haha, but works just fine. I used the sd card formatter from:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

if you're familiar with diskpart you might try deleting any and all partitions on your sd card and creating a new primary partition then formatting it as fat 32 to remove any weird partitions your card may have come with.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 02:08 PM
I'm running on a 8GB SD card and 2GB usb drive haha, but works just fine. I used the sd card formatter from:

if you're familiar with diskpart you might try deleting any and all partitions on your sd card and creating a new primary partition then formatting it as fat 32 to remove any weird partitions your card may have come with.
Thanks thats the one i tried. ive got to get a newer PC something with at least win 7 on it my old dell desktop with xp doesnt want to run anything.. thankfully i can use my fathers pc to do this stuff im trying to download and use that formatter with his pc but this mem card was/is brand new

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 03:00 PM

Formatted using the program you said above... installed the files onto the card and tried again this time it only got to 13% before rebooted...
Why.... why me. everytime i do something should be simple it turns into not simple for me.

ezellner
11-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Formatted using the program you said above... installed the files onto the card and tried again this time it only got to 13% before rebooted...
Why.... why me. everytime i do something should be simple it turns into not simple for me.

Are you following the instructions here? http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html
Note especially the part about setting Format Size Adjustment to On. Also make sure the USB drive is formatted as FAT32.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 03:09 PM
I don't see any options using the formatter https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/5ddceff330bceff7357bcbfd85ee2112.jpg

ezellner
11-02-2017, 03:20 PM
I don't see any options using the formatter https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/5ddceff330bceff7357bcbfd85ee2112.jpg

Looks like they may have changed it. Can you check properties of the SD card and see what format type it is? If it's FAT32 you're OK. If not, try this formatter. http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Says its fat32 and i just watched a video about the formatter mine looks totally driffrent
weired thing is that it is named recover and it shows the mem card is alsomost full it shows it only has 90.9MB left and 1.18 GB is installed but its a 32 GB mem card. so does that mean it really didn't format correctly

ezellner
11-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Says its fat32 and i just watched a video about the formatter mine looks totally driffrent

It looks like you are formatted correctly. How about the USB stick?

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 05:01 PM
It looks like you are formatted correctly. How about the USB stick?

Welll i used just the windows format for it.. should i use the other for it also? Im runing out of ideas other then trying a driffrent version of the Player?

ezellner
11-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Welll i used just the windows format for it.. should i use the other for it also? Im runing out of ideas other then trying a driffrent version of the Player?
I think the windows format of the USB stick should be OK. The problem arises when you have large capacity SD card and USB drives (larger than 32 GB).
During the install process, the RPi does reboot itself which will take several minutes. Does yours reboot endlessly? Did you unzip all the files before loading onto the SD card? Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure no step was missed inadvertently. Also double check the properties of the USB stick and make sure it's FAT32.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 06:10 PM
I think the windows format of the USB stick should be OK. The problem arises when you have large capacity SD card and USB drives (larger than 32 GB).
During the install process, the RPi does reboot itself which will take several minutes. Does yours reboot endlessly? Did you unzip all the files before loading onto the SD card? Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure no step was missed inadvertently. Also double check the properties of the USB stick and make sure it's FAT32.

Okay, well I found the older 4.0 version of the format program so it actually ran on my old XP machine so i just reformatted the mem card using it..
I am not transferring the Falcon 1.8 files to the mem card.
the UBS drive is in the other PC doing the other format program but think i might just use the older 4.0 on here so they both be the exact same
when i downloaded the falcon player 1.8 I opened the folder it was in. then i created a new folder called FPP. I then extracted them all to inside of that new folder. I highlighted everything in that folder and copied it to the mem card.

I watched a few videos and seems that is how everyone else did it.

ezellner
11-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Okay, well I found the older 4.0 version of the format program so it actually ran on my old XP machine so i just reformatted the mem card using it..
I am not transferring the Falcon 1.8 files to the mem card.
the UBS drive is in the other PC doing the other format program but think i might just use the older 4.0 on here so they both be the exact same
when i downloaded the falcon player 1.8 I opened the folder it was in. then i created a new folder called FPP. I then extracted them all to inside of that new folder. I highlighted everything in that folder and copied it to the mem card.

I watched a few videos and seems that is how everyone else did it.

Sounds like a good plan. All of my initial issues stemmed from formating problems.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Well that didn't help either... I don't know what else to do.. it got to 13% first time rebooted bk to the screen then I told it to install and it went to 22 but that time it just went black never booted bk up. there isn't any other files the mem card needs are they to make this work?

MartinMueller2003
11-02-2017, 06:38 PM
I had nothing but issues with the latest release. I found that the FPP 1.5 release installs best for me and then I do updates to get it to 1.9.

Yes the flash stick need to be in the usb port when you first install the FPP software. You can configure it to not use it later.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 06:48 PM
I had nothing but issues with the latest release. I found that the FPP 1.5 release installs best for me and then I do updates to get it to 1.9.

Yes the flash stick need to be in the usb port when you first install the FPP software. You can configure it to not use it later.
Guess I will try that. I'm out of ideas. it's at 42% I've never seen it go that far. the red light was on before now it's not. on the rpi itself.. I changed chargers I was using does that make a huge driffrence
thanks everyone

well it loaded. it now says FPP login: what do I put there? I guess I should look for basic code for this thing. it work anything like do did? I used to be really good with dos..
I thought after it loaded it would just open the fpp. guess a command I have to enter. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/6af32b9a50f6191665ed20356020483c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/81a8dfc8bc9b4734f3532a8792f31a5d.jpg

MartinMueller2003
11-02-2017, 07:01 PM
The red light goes out when the input voltage drops below 4.8v. This can be caused by a weak power supply or by cheap cable between the power supply and the PI. If you have a PI Hat that can power the PI then you can set it up with beefy power. Low voltage can cause the SD cards to not work properly

MartinMueller2003
11-02-2017, 07:02 PM
So that bottom image with 1.5 looks like it worked. The complaints are because the Ethernet is not connected and Linux could not check for updates from the OS mirrors.

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 07:17 PM
So that bottom image with 1.5 looks like it worked. The complaints are because the Ethernet is not connected and Linux could not check for updates from the OS mirrors.
so is it safe to turn power off, plug in ethernet the power bk on? or is there a shut down command for it?

MartinMueller2003
11-02-2017, 07:28 PM
login to the pi (username = fpp password = falcon) type the following command:

sudo shutdown now

Then you can turn off the PI. FYI: You can plug the ethernet cable in at any time. You do not need to power it down unless you plan to move it.

Martin

Pcguy17
11-02-2017, 07:40 PM
login to the pi (username = fpp password = falcon) type the following command:

sudo shutdown now

Then you can turn off the PI. FYI: You can plug the ethernet cable in at any time. You do not need to power it down unless you plan to move it.

Martin
Awesome thanks.. I rebooted and got its ip numbwr I was able to go to it on my Web browser.

Jediosu
11-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Here is the picture I was trying to send you.

The outlet inside the box is a GFCI wired to a PC cord, the female plug is cut off and wired to the outlet. The male plug plugs into an outlet on my porch to provide the whole unit with AC power.
The outlets on the outside of the box are the relay controlled outlets. Each of my outlets has had the hot tab removed so I can control 4 receptacles as 8 separate outlets, but you can use 8 receptacles as well and not bother with the tab. Each relay controlled outlet has the common and ground daisy chained together and connected to the inside outlet. The inside outlet has a power feed to each half of the relay. Each other half of the relay has a power feed to each outlet. The raspberry pi plugs into the inside outlet to provide power to it and the SSR (which is powered by one of the 5v pi pins) I used a breadboard with a breakout because I had it lying around. (I will probably change this out next season to a direct wire from each pin.)

The enclosure itself is something a friend of mine had lying around, no idea on make/model.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 09:56 AM
oh nice looking set up. what is that big white board? I see people using them but never a name.. I know u can plug leds into it and they flash or light when the plug is live.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 10:06 AM
is the copper part the thing yall call hot tap? these have one one each side. how do u remove it? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171103/10a9f4c54eebcff69b3373f777a1d994.jpg

Jediosu
11-03-2017, 10:07 AM
The white board is called a "bread board". Its lets you layout and test circuits without having to solder your connections together. Rows on the board are electrically connected and you can plug wires or components into it to connect them together. To change your config you just pull the components out and don't have to solder or cut wires. In this setup its merely a "junction box" for connecting the GPIO pins to the SSR terminals. I did it this way so I could unplug the PI by disconnecting the ribbon cable and save time hooking it back up without needing to correctly connect each wire back to the correct pin. I just plug/unplug the ribbon cable if I need to disconnect the pi. Now that my setup is working I'll probably find a more permanent method for connecting the wires.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 10:10 AM
The white board is called a "bread board". Its lets you layout and test circuits without having to solder your connections together. Rows on the board are electrically connected and you can plug wires or components into it to connect them together. To change your config you just pull the components out and don't have to solder or cut wires. In this setup its merely a "junction box" for connecting the GPIO pins to the SSR terminals. I did it this way so I could unplug the PI by disconnecting the ribbon cable and save time hooking it back up without needing to correctly connect each wire back to the correct pin. I just plug/unplug the ribbon cable if I need to disconnect the pi. Now that my setup is working I'll probably find a more permanent method for connecting the wires.
oh thanks, now I know what to search for.. so that's like a regular computer ribbing cable. looks clean that way I can't wait to get my ssd

Jediosu
11-03-2017, 10:11 AM
you just need to break the tab connecting the two brass plates. I used pliers and wiggled it back and forth until they broke off.

Jediosu
11-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Also, the brass side it hot, you don't break the tab on the other side of the outlet, just the hot side.

ezellner
11-03-2017, 10:24 AM
is the copper part the thing yall call hot tap? these have one one each side. how do u remove it? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171103/10a9f4c54eebcff69b3373f777a1d994.jpg

Twist it off with a pair of pliers.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Also, the brass side it hot, you don't break the tab on the other side of the outlet, just the hot side.
they look the same on these. what side is hot? the side with ground or w.o ground just break off the one side glad u said that.

ezellner
11-03-2017, 10:29 AM
they look the same on these. what side is hot? the side with ground or w.o ground just break off the one side glad u said that.

Hot is the side adjacent to the shorter blade opening. The longer blade is neutral and usually on the side with the ground lug.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 10:30 AM
okay I looked again I do see the screws are driffrent one side silver one side is copper I barley can notice and only cause you said so

Jediosu
11-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Do you have 3 prong outlets? The "wide" blade is neutral, the "narrow" blade is hot, and the "round" pin is ground. Usually the hot side has brass screws and the neutral side has silver screws.

Also, I'm a computer geek, not an electrician :)

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Do you have 3 prong outlets? The "wide" blade is neutral, the "narrow" blade is hot, and the "round" pin is ground. Usually the hot side has brass screws and the neutral side has silver screws.

Also, I'm a computer geek, not an electrician :)
Yes. that what I have and yes same here much better with computers then electrical stuff.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 05:40 PM
yeah I just noticed the wide side has the neutral screw on the bottom. it's the left side

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Hot is the side adjacent to the shorter blade opening. The longer blade is neutral and usually on the side with the ground lug.
sorry, I missed your post but your right. thanks

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Ok so I watched another video on setting up the fpp program. I did everything they said other then I used wired not wireless... he said the raspberry pi has wifi built in but that's not true is it?

anyways I typed in same number I did to get to the fpp on my pc on my cell and it wouldn't so anything any clue why not??
I got my 3 sqeneces put onto the fpp and think I'm good to go. now just to wait for my SSR to get here. thinking about ordering a usb driven one. still trying figure out how to wire up my sockets. I cut away the hot tap on 2 of them so far need to do the other 2.. tried explaining what I was doing to my dad but he didn't get it.

Jediosu
11-03-2017, 11:08 PM
If your phone is on wifi, and it's the same network your pi is on, then yes you should be able to control it from your phone. You may have to use the IP address instead of typing "FPP" in your browser. The pi 3 does have wifi built in, the original and pi 2 require a USB wifi dongle.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 11:21 PM
oh... I got the B.. not sure it said 1 or 2 anywhere on it.

my phone is on wifi. typing fpp on browser didn't work i had type in the number. that's what I tried with my phone ..
someone said there is a app to control it but it requires a usb wifi doggle?

Jediosu
11-03-2017, 11:38 PM
If you bought it new within the last year you probably got a 3. I'm not sure if FPP will show you wifi settings without a nic present. You can always try entering your wifi settings and try it.

Pcguy17
11-03-2017, 11:56 PM
If you bought it new within the last year you probably got a 3. I'm not sure if FPP will show you wifi settings without a nic present. You can always try entering your wifi settings and try it.
Just got it yesterday, day before..ordered on amazon..

okay about my sockets the power
from the first socket comes from the top left screw then runs to the next ones left bottom silver screw, then from the 2nd outlet ones top screw to the 3rd bottom silver screw and so on correct?

then the power from the ssd goes to the right side (gold screws) for witchever socket I want to be on whatever relay right.
doing it with power going to the ssd first the ground screw on them isn't used is it? guess I need make a detailed diagram

MartinMueller2003
11-04-2017, 12:48 AM
How are you verifying that your phone is connected to your home wireless network?

One way to find out is to turn off mobile data and then try to use the browser on the phone to access this forum. If you cannot access the forum using the phone browser, then your phone is NOT connected to your home network. If your phone is not connected to your home network, then using the IP address will not do you any good.

Pcguy17
11-04-2017, 12:52 AM
How are you verifying that your phone is connected to your home wireless network?

One way to find out is to turn off mobile data and then try to use the browser on the phone to access this forum. If you cannot access the forum using the phone browser, then your phone is NOT connected to your home network. If your phone is not connected to your home network, then using the IP address will not do you any good.
Well, I wasn't connected to the same one as the pi was, we have like 4 routers In the house. I just had set up the wifi on my router in my room that's running my pc... I am always on wifi in the house cause cell service out here is very slim. barley get a signal in the house. didn't help after they had a metal roof put on.

MartinMueller2003
11-04-2017, 09:26 AM
If I read this correctly, you are saying that the PI is on a different network than the rest of your equipment. The next question is, can any device connected to the router to which your phone connects access anything on the network to which the PI is connected.

Most likely the reason your phone can't connect to the PI is because the phone can't get to the network the PI is on. For example, if those routers are connected to each other via the "uplink" port and NAT is turned on then a device from one network will not be able to talk to a device on another network without turning on port forwarding on the appropriate router interfaces. FYI: All of your devices would still be able to connect to outside resources, you just can't access device-to-device when the devices are on different routers.

A simple solution would be to have the phone connect to the same router that the PI is using. Then the address you have will be valid.

Jonmtme
11-05-2017, 07:58 AM
So I am trying to add 3 8 channel SSR's to my Pi 3 model b. Jediosu was very helpful in getting me to this point. The issue I am having is that I have maxed out the 17 gpio pins on the Pi and need just one more gpio pin. But which one? Also when I connect a jumper from one of them to the SSR it either stays on or never lights up when I run a test. Do I need to write code and manipulate those other GPIO pins? How do I get the 18 channel to work? Thanks. OMG this is so frustrating I plan on making a tutorial for totally clueless people like myself. :)

MartinMueller2003
11-05-2017, 10:49 AM
At this point you would be much better off getting a Ren 24 or Ren32. It will be more versatile and allows dimming.

Pcguy17
11-06-2017, 09:44 AM
So I am trying to add 3 8 channel SSR's to my Pi 3 model b. Jediosu was very helpful in getting me to this point. The issue I am having is that I have maxed out the 17 gpio pins on the Pi and need just one more gpio pin. But which one? Also when I connect a jumper from one of them to the SSR it either stays on or never lights up when I run a test. Do I need to write code and manipulate those other GPIO pins? How do I get the 18 channel to work? Thanks. OMG this is so frustrating I plan on making a tutorial for totally clueless people like myself. :)
I never seen your post till now. Glad I'm not the only one pulling his hair out trying to figure this stuff out. I am not sure on the gpio pins, im guessing you already have all of your ssr. I found out they make a usb one and wish I had just odered. it and not had to mess with the pins. but we learn as we go..would've to see pictures of how you have yours set up.