PDA

View Full Version : Setup Kick Off Weekend

tonypgst
11-02-2008, 07:18 PM
This weekend was perfect weather for starting to put out the lights. It took two days and a sore back and calves, but my roof line is up. I used 300 red, green, and blue C7 LEDs. All strings were modified with my own rectifiers and spliced to prevent doubling back of lights along the transitions at the eve edges. After using 900 all-in-one clips, I'm done. Here are some daytime shots. I'll grab some static night time shots later.

http://www.palombolights.com/GallerySandG.html

Next weekend I pour my footings for the mega tree and fireworks burst poles.

By the way, my neighbors are excited, but I'm getting strange looks from others in the neighborhood.

toodle_pipsky
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Awesome work - and a very nice house!

I kicked off my set up month by not having my Ren 16 work ;) what a huge surprise (I'm not ultra worried because I have a backup Grinch). I don't have too much to put out so next weekend is my first setup weekend in the yard.

tonypgst
11-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Awesome work - and a very nice house!

I kicked off my set up month by not having my Ren 16 work ;) what a huge surprise (I'm not ultra worried because I have a backup Grinch). I don't have too much to put out so next weekend is my first setup weekend in the yard.

Sorry about the Ren16. Had two myself that didn't cooperate first try, but have patience and you'll figure it out.

Forgot to add that I cut down a Magnolia tree Saturday to make room for the display. Was too close to the driveway anyway. Trimming the bushes and giving the grass a clip are also in order for next weekend.

toodle_pipsky
11-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Don't get rid of the magnolia tree! I love them things! Send it to me ;) hehehehehehe Congrats on being organised anyway - can't wait to see the display.

LightOut
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow, nice work on the roof lights. I love the way they are all nice and straight. Can't wait to see the videos.

tonypgst
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Updated the pictures on my web site to include night time pictures of the lights. It was a lot of work rebuilding the rectifiers for 36 strings of lights, but in the end, they look great. Hooked a section of each color up and started a sequence and they fade smoothly. Neighbors officially think I am nuts.

Mufassa
11-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice and straight lines.. I KNOW mine arent going to be that good.. But oh well.. I had to have some tree trimming done too. Funny how you can put this off for years and now it HAS to get done so you can see the lights!!

--Greg

kmc123
11-04-2008, 02:56 PM
WOW!!!
That was a serious trim!

Penfold
11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Looks like you shaved it bald. Poor little tree isn't going to have a way to keep itself warm for winter.

tonypgst
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Nice and straight lines.. I KNOW mine arent going to be that good.. But oh well.. I had to have some tree trimming done too. Funny how you can put this off for years and now it HAS to get done so you can see the lights!!

--Greg

Greg, that tree needs a Christmas Themed skirt to keep it warm this winter!

ppohlman
11-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Nice stump there Greg.

Mufassa
11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
well last weekend I wrapped its "trunks" in lights so they should keep it warm.. Plus it is Southern Calif. so it really doesnt get cold..

I had several tree guys come out and they said that is what needed to be done.. It had grown way out of control so next year we can lace it out and give it a better shape. I would love to cut it down and put a "typical" tree in but its a Jacaranda which is very pretty in bloom. There was also a huge "grove" of oleanders behind that tree that we took out.. Allows better view of the lights from that side of the street!

--Greg

MonteryJack
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Where else would you hear:

"I had to cut down the trees and shrubs to make it easier to see my Christmas lights.

Gotta Love it!

Wayne J
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I really like the night shots Tony.

tonypgst
11-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Not enough daylight now after the time change, so I decided to work some tonight while it is nice out. I poured the footing for the first of 3 poles in the front. This one is for my left side firework burst. I'll have a 6' diameter burst on fence post rail 16' up on each side of the house.

Pictures can be found here. http://www.palombolights.com/GallerySandG.html

rlilly
11-08-2008, 01:52 AM
I pour my footings for the mega tree and fireworks burst poles..

I hope you have a permit and a sealed installation drawing. Coming together well!

Macrosill
11-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Things look really good Tony.

tonypgst
11-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Watching Wayne on the web cam inspired me today. Here is one of two fireworks burst up on the left side of the house.

http://www.palombolights.com/images/Fireworks/LeftFWBurst.jpg

Wayne J
11-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Watching Wayne on the web cam inspired me today. Here is one of two fireworks burst up on the left side of the house.

http://www.palombolights.com/images/Fireworks/LeftFWBurst.jpg

Glad my webcam is doing some good for folks. :)

I really like the fireworks item, I am very anxious to see them in action. :cool:

tonypgst
11-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Today I setup the mega tree pole with star, strobes, and ornament balls. Tomorrow I will string the lights. I have also wrapped 12' of the pole in clear minis. There are 4 sections with 300 lights in each on the pole.

I also finished wiring my sub panel today. Things are going well. I hope to run power and cat5 to all the controllers this Sunday for a mini test.

Here is a picture of the mega tree in progress. Last picture in the grouping. http://www.palombolights.com/how_to_projects_mega.html

tonypgst
11-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Made some more progress on the mega tree today. Posted a picture from tonight on the site.

http://www.palombolights.com/how_to_projects_mega.html

tonypgst
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm close. Still have 4 6' trees and 6 mini trees to setup and I'm done. I have about 100 channels hooked up and tested and will finish the rest this weekend. I fired up the show last night after dark to get a feel for how it looked. Even with missing elements, it looked great.

While eating supper, I get two rings of the door bell. Neighbors saw some activity and wanted me to turn on the lights. :) I gave two preview shows last night after supper. Looks like things are looking up for my first display. I was so motivated, I even sat down and sequenced another song for this year!

rlilly
11-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I gave two preview shows last night after supper. Looks like things are looking up for my first display. I was so motivated, I even sat down and sequenced another song for this year!

I'd been talking about my light project at work. I had a co-worker show up last night around 7:30. I gave him and his wife a preview as well! I got a standing ovation!! (Ok, they were already standing next to their car....but an ovation none the less....;))

tonypgst
11-17-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd been talking about my light project at work. I had a co-worker show up last night around 7:30. I gave him and his wife a preview as well! I got a standing ovation!! (Ok, they were already standing next to their car....but an ovation none the less....;))

Nice! Same here, everyone is talking it up so much, there was so much pressure to get this done in time and working. Last night made it all worth it.

wbuehler
11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Looks Good

Bill

Sloanhaus
11-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I am definately doing the fireworks next year, that is awesome, I am going to figure a way to do them up on my roof,,, If the insurance company doesnt complain, than I'm not doing a good enough job.

tonypgst
11-18-2008, 12:28 AM
The neighbors who have seen some of the display in action say they are the best part. In a few weeks, I hope to share my videos to show them off.

zoommedic
11-20-2008, 12:41 AM
tonypgst, you really motivate me to get my display going this year. Even though I was not able to get a controller, my static display will be decent. Gotta start somewhere. I just hope i can be as organized as you seem to be and have a great display.

tonypgst
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
The setup is finished, the songs sequenced, and preview showings for the neighbors are complete. I feel like a kid each time I run the program. Part of me still cannot believe this all came together from a chance happening upon DIY Christmas forum last December. I'm borrowing a HD camcorder next week with hopes to get some decent video to post on the web. I have off next week, so it is time to update the site with new pictures, night stills and video. All the time planning, building boards, customizing LED strings with new recitifers, etc. etc. has paid off. My oldest girl (5) loves it. I have 168 channels out this year, some spares included in that count, and I'm already thinking of what I can do with 304 next year. Thanks to everyone who has shared something here, given pointers, and just plain motivated others to get it done. I can't wait to show everyone what DIYC has allowed me to do for my friends and family.

rlilly
11-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Well said, Tony!

I predict you'll have a Christmas season like none other you've ever experienced!

I got the last piece up today, the Bethlehem Star. Tonight my wife and I were setting up to take some video when a neighbor and her children stopped and wanted to chat. (with program 1 running in the background...) They've been keeping track of my progress, and everytime the lights came on for a test, they seemed to drive by. They are almost excited as I am to have lights on so near. We chatted with them for quite awhile, so we started late on the video.

To get video worth submitting will be a learning curve. My wife was filming while I was trying to tune the radio, and every time the strobes came on, or the star came on, and etc. came on, she became quite animated. Tomorrow, I'm making a cable from radio to mike jack so we can try again without the commentary added. (and need to pick up a tripod.)

That said, my wife and I viewed that footage as crude as it was and enjoyed it throughly!

Today I had very similar feelings to those you've expressed so well!

Wayne J
11-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Great Job!! Enjoy it!!!!

tonypgst
11-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Tonight I captured a quick clip of one Fireworks Burst in action. The video quality is not what I would like, so I'm holding off on posting any other action. I have to plan with my neighbors to take video from their front yard to capture the entire field of view for the show and I'm also lining up to borrow a HD camera for a bit.

See the video here: http://www.palombolights.com/videos.html

ron d
11-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Very cool! Wont see many of them until next year.

rlilly
11-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Tony, that's great! Love it!

lightman
11-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Very very cool! Terrific job!

Regards,
Brian

tonypgst
11-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks all. I'm beginning to post videos and sequences for this year's display here http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5204