PDA

View Full Version : How to sync video (projector) on PI (falcon slave)

martijnkooi
10-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Hi there,

I'm planning a halloween lightship this year and want to use a projector.
It's pretty straight forward to play a video on the 2nd FPP.
I can create an event in Falcon to start playing a video when the sequence starts.
Can anyone help me (how to) to get the video synced properly?

many thanks,
Martijn

Dutchsanta
10-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Going to follow on your topic...I have the same question...
Did you mean a slave pi when your talking about 2nd pi?? or just a second stand alone playing pi for the projector??

My projection, driven by a slavepi, is a few seconds behind the sequence...I think it is because sound and sequence are coming from Masterpi, and video from slavepi.
Thats why the master and slave will synq every second I believe to have read somewhere...

Still my movie is multiple seconds behind the sound/sequence but not every sequence the same seconds...
So video will need to take a longer route ?? masterpi synq with slavepi,cables, hdmi-converter, projector, beam, surfase.. while seq and sound comes directly from masterpi.

Just me thinking out loud....

jwamsley07
10-06-2017, 04:10 PM
I've been through the same problems. Last year I fought with the video being 1.9 seconds behind on the remote pi. I ended up modifying the sequence on the master and adding 1.9 seconds to the beginning. I thought it might be because I was using older PIs so this year I purchased all new Raspberry PI's and the video on the remotes is still 1/2 second behind. I just shaved 1/2 second off of the beginning of each video on my remote PIs and all is good.

martijnkooi
10-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Exactly what I ment.
I run my sequence and audio on the FPP master and it triggers a DMX channel 1 (10) and channel 2 (150). This will start my video by an event on the FPP slave.
https://falcon-player.gitbooks.io/falcon-player-manual/content/chapter_nine_miscellaneous_items/playing_video.html

Use events to fire off the videos on the remote Pi.
Create an empty event on the master and put it in the playlist. When the event fires on the master, it will also fire on the remote.
On the remote, setup the same event ID to run a script to start the video using the PlayVideo.sh script in the repository as an example.
The video plays on the remote but will not try each second to sync with the audio on the master.

I will try to get this working as well..

Tip: If you have a sequence that does not have a matching video, you can create a blank video in any video editor and add the audio track to it. These videos are then just a background to the sequence.
In the playlist, have an entry that is an event that runs the video in an event script. Then the next entry is the sequence. The video and sequence will run in parallel, but won’t be automatically synchronized.

martijnkooi
10-06-2017, 04:13 PM
I've been through the same problems. Last year I fought with the video being 1.9 seconds behind on the remote pi. I ended up modifying the sequence on the master and adding 1.9 seconds to the beginning. I thought it might be because I was using older PIs so this year I purchased all new Raspberry PI's and the video on the remotes is still 1/2 second behind. I just shaved 1/2 second off of the beginning of each video on my remote PIs and all is good.

That's not solving the problem, but a very good idea! :razz:

Dutchsanta
10-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Thats what I did too in my "let it go" sequence. I just edit the movieclip and played around where to start.....took me a couple of times to get it right ...making sequence, uploading to both pi, testing, removing, adjusting..etc.
Just till I was ok with it...

Will do that with all movies later this year...tweaking ...

Keith R
10-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Something you might try as I had this issue last year and could not solve it. Run the Master using the mp4 instead of the mp3. It synced up perfectly after that. The only issue that I had was that I like to adjust the volume on the mp3's so that all of my songs are the same, and I couldn't do that with the mp4. Also I found that the B+ and Pi2 did the best job in syncing the video.
You might ask this question in the Falcon forum and see if they have come up with a fix for this. Good Luck!