PDA

View Full Version : REN 16/24 or Olsen first ?

TERBObob
10-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok ... hopefully , I don't make this sound more confusing that it is - LOL.

I am gonna use :

1) one Olsen 595
2) one REN C
3) four REN 16's
4) one REN 24

Now , here is my question(s)

When connecting the REN's together , I was told it does not matter which goes first in line .
But , now , with the REN C using serial to the PC , and then going to the OLSEN , and my PC has only one serial , can I connect them all in series and if yes , which goes first , second , etc , etc . ?
Or , would I need TWO serial ports ? - one serial for the REN C / OLSEN and the other serial for the REN 16's and 24 ?

And lastly , would one of those serial PCI slot add ons for extra serial ports work ok ? ( if I need to add another serial )

sandy
10-31-2008, 04:54 PM
The 595 is a parallel port device.
So it goes on it's own circuit from the printer port.

The order doesn't matter for the serial Rens
except the power for the Ren16's has to be hooked up before them.
But can go in front of the Ren24 as they will pass the power through.

TERBObob
10-31-2008, 06:24 PM
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ren-C

according to the above , the REN C controls the Olsen , which is given info via the serial , not the original parallel as was , for the Olsen .

So ... I am still lost though .
If the REN C uses a serial connection from the PC and it sends that signal to the OLSEN 595 , how or where , do I connect my REN 16's and 24's ? Inline with the OLSEN/Ren C or on a seperate serial port on the PC ?

alwysrit2
11-01-2008, 06:04 PM
You can run them in series. The only thing you need to worry about is getting ZC to each of the controllers. Each Ren 16 generates its own (Pretty sure the Ren24 does at well). The Ren-C needs a ZC to be sent in, usually from a Ren-T, but can be sent in on the RJ45 connection from a Ren 16. I am pretty sure xmus or WJohn has posted how update the Ren16 board to send the ZC out.
Of course, you can also use a seperate serial port..

daviddth
11-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry Sandy, but the ren-c was the gieaway that it's all Serial. The Ren-C allows dimming and serial connection on the grinch or 595 boards.

Bob, while running the 595/ren-c on one serial and the rest on the other would be ideal, as alwysrit2 mentioned, there have been some people post mods to allow the use of a ZC signal into the ren 16/24 or copy that out of the 16 or 24 for use in downstream controllers.

I'm not at home, and am on limited access here (Mobile phone connection) so I cant do searches, but I'm sure they are on the board somewhere.

rstehle
11-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Bob, if you PM Frank K, I'm sure he can explain to you how you can pass ZC from a Ren 24. I don't think there is an easy way to do it from a Ren 16.

RavingLunatic
11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
The one critical bit of info missing from your question is: What are you planning on using for the ZC for the Ren-C/Olsen combo?

If you are using a Ren-T or other stand alone ZC generator, then it really doesn't matter the order as long as you have figured out the individual power requirements for each board.

If you are planning of trying to send the ZC from either the Ren16 or Ren24, then there are board mods that need to be made (unless you have a Ren24 V3.3). It will also require either a Ren-C board mod or wiring mod going into it.