PDA

View Full Version : Project: 1024 pixel matrix

CarterM
09-19-2017, 09:49 PM
I have to start with a little background - otherwise this project might not make any sense!

So a few years ago I started playing around with an Adrino. I got some stuff from Adafruit, and ended up buying an 8x8 LED matrix to play with. After I figured out what I was doing, I started putting video on it. But of course 8x8 isn't all that good, so I got a few more. Then I ran into limitations with the Adrino, and realized I'd never be able to do anything 'big' on the house using it. One thing leads to another and now I have a few Falcons and a few thousand pixels.

I attempted to hook up my matrix to the Falcon last year, but ran into a few issues. I also found that there were much cheaper matrix panels over in China, so I ended up ditching the Adafruit version for another set. I bought enough for a 1024 pixel matrix, but never got it working right.

Fast forward to a few months ago as I'm getting all my stuff ready for this year, and the project is sitting there, in pieces. Staring at me. Then it hit me that I'd bought a few of the ESPixelSticks from @sporadic ... and now it hits me that I can make this thing work AND have it portable!

So off I went to rebuild it using the ESPixelSticks. It's basically mounted to coro, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet. But it works!

Here's the front - it's 16 individual 8x8 LED 5050 matrix boards:

I used 2.5mm plastic standoffs, and hot glued the connectors (JST) on the back:

Here's the back, with a 26A 5v power supply. I'm not sure how much current it'll push at full bright/white - it's so intense it'll burn your eyes tho.

The ESPixelSticks will do video, but even at 1024 pixels the resolution isn't good enough. Simple pictures, animated GIFs (some) and text work very well. Each ESPixelStick is driving 8 of the boards, and I setup a simple model in Xlights to run it.

DaveMcK
09-20-2017, 06:43 AM
So what kind of matrix did you get from China to build this project?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CarterM
09-20-2017, 09:14 AM
I used ones like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-WS2812-LED-5050-RGB-8x8-64-LED-Matrix-for-Arduino/32698444154.html

At ~$7/ea, they're pretty cheap now.