PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little confused about installing FPP on devices...

Stormyblade
08-28-2017, 02:46 PM
I got my P10 kit and I had already bought myself a Raspberry Pi 3, and when I go to the Falcon Christmas site there are instructions for installing FPP onto both the BBB and the Pi -- my question is do I have to download and install the FPP software/image onto both devices to get everything to work?

My plan is to use the Pi as the "master" PC out in the yard and the BBB (along with the P10 matrix panels and scroller board that were included in the kit) would be connected to the Pi by...it's either going to be USB or a network cable, right? Am I missing something basic in the setup for having a Pi running FPP and connecting up a P10 matrix panel using the BBB? And if the Pi has FPP software already loaded, I don't need the image loaded onto the BBB, correct?

MartinMueller2003
08-28-2017, 04:44 PM
The short answer is: It depends. I am going to make a few assumptions:

You are going to use Ethernet (wire or WiFi does not really matter) between the devices driving your show.
You want to keep the load on your network as low as possible.

Here is what I would do:
Install the FPP software on both the PI and the BBB.
Make the PI the FPP master
Make the BBB an FPP slave

When the show master is running the schedule, it will transmit short sync packets to the FPP slaves to keep them in sync. The FPP slaves will have their own copy of the FSEQ files from which they will draw sequence information. This results in very low bandwidth usage for your show.

Stormyblade
08-28-2017, 08:14 PM
The short answer is: It depends. I am going to make a few assumptions:

You are going to use Ethernet (wire or WiFi does not really matter) between the devices driving your show.
You want to keep the load on your network as low as possible.

Here is what I would do:
Install the FPP software on both the PI and the BBB.
Make the PI the FPP master
Make the BBB an FPP slave

When the show master is running the schedule, it will transmit short sync packets to the FPP slaves to keep them in sync. The FPP slaves will have their own copy of the FSEQ files from which they will draw sequence information. This results in very low bandwidth usage for your show.

Awesome, thanks!!

I guess I have another question: are people installing the FPP image/software on the BBB SD card or on the eMMC? According to the FPP install instructions, installing the FPP image/software directly onto the eMMC on the BBB frees up the USB slot for other use - is there a need for this?

MartinMueller2003
08-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Do not have a BBB so I can only guess. On the FPP PI you have the option of saving the media and fseq files on a USB stick or on the SD card that holds the OS. Which to use is entirely a person preference. I prefer fewer components that can break.

JeffL98
08-28-2017, 10:29 PM
My flash drives don't last near as long when I use them for the media drive. Maybe I'm just getting cheap ones. If you need to use the BBB USB for something else, then put everything on the flash drive. It's great for a while (much faster copying media) then pffft - you're formatting a new one. LOL!

Might try a "High Endurance" SD card that should last longer for this, but I haven't tried them except for in my dashcam - it's only a few months old so I can't speak to longevity yet. They'll be a little more expensive.

mrGrumpy
08-28-2017, 10:51 PM
Awesome, thanks!!

I guess I have another question: are people installing the FPP image/software on the BBB SD card or on the eMMC? According to the FPP install instructions, installing the FPP image/software directly onto the eMMC on the BBB frees up the USB slot for other use - is there a need for this?

Been a while since I worked n my BBB (sealed in P10 box) but as I recall, you need the USB port for a WiFi dongle.....or get a small USB Hub. One more thing on WiFi get a 1 foot or longer USB extension. Most have a problem mounting the dongle directly in the BBB . . . The HDMI chip plays havoc on the wifi dongle.

Stormyblade
08-29-2017, 12:21 AM
Been a while since I worked n my BBB (sealed in P10 box) but as I recall, you need the USB port for a WiFi dongle.....or get a small USB Hub. One more thing on WiFi get a 1 foot or longer USB extension. Most have a problem mounting the dongle directly in the BBB . . . The HDMI chip plays havoc on the wifi dongle.

So you don't use the Ethernet port to connect the BBB to a port switch to get it's commands/data from, say, the Raspberry Pi or PC that drives the show? And I take it that you copied the FPP image onto the eMMC on the BBB?

Ruppro
08-29-2017, 12:30 AM
As the BBB will be an FPP slave and only receiving the Sync data, that is assuming you are running FPP on a Pi as the master, it can run on Wifi just fine. One less cable to run! But if you can run an ethernet cable, that's fine too.

mrGrumpy
08-29-2017, 12:36 AM
So you don't use the Ethernet port to connect the BBB to a port switch to get it's commands/data from, say, the Raspberry Pi or PC that drives the show? And I take it that you copied the FPP image onto the eMMC on the BBB?

I use FPP Remote, so it just needs sync commands so WiFi save cable, and for me, it's portable. Loading file works wifi too. Ethernet connected works just fine. Yes, is did load FPP to emmc