PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Vixen Issue or FPP Issue ???? Or a Kev Issue???



kev
07-20-2017, 06:41 PM
I have exported a .fseq file from Vixen 3.3u2 build #305 to FPP 1.8 running on a Pi-3. I have uploaded the matching .mp3 file to the Pi-3. I am using a few ESPixelsticks connected via a wifi router. I am also using an Arduino MEGA connected to one of the USB ports on the Pi-3. I have selected Generic Serial on the FPP for the MEGA. Initial tests appear to show that I am getting the correct data on the MEGA, it is just delayed by 3-4 seconds. The ESPixelsticks seem to be syncronised correctly to the music. So putting in a delay on the FPP would throw the ESPixelsticks off.
Anyideas as to what I need to look at?
I am using VictorPV sketch on MEGA. When I connect the MEGA directly to my laptop the sequence plays perfectly.

I will be posting this question over on the Falcon site as well.

kev
07-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Here are some photos of my configuration setup. I can't figure out why there is a 3-4 second delay in the generic serial outputs. As I mentioned before, the ESPixelstick outputs are synchronised with the music. The generic serial output of the Pi-3 w/FPP is delayed.

When I play the sequence from my laptop, the generic serial is synchronised perfetly, as it did last year. I am hoping someone can give me suggestions where to look.

jchuchla
07-24-2017, 10:12 PM
Kev, everything looks right in those configs. Vixen doesn't do anything different for different controller types when it exports. It treats them all exactly the same. I wonder if there's something on the fpp side that's not working right with the generic serial output. I don't know anyone using generic serial on the pi.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kev
07-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Just like I thought, IT WAS A KEVIN ISSUE !!!!

I had some elements defined in Vixen Display and patched them to the Generic Controller to fill up all of the 48 defined controller channels. But in Vixen Preview I only had 15 of those elements linked to objects in the preview screen.

So I reduced the number of Generic Serial controller channels to 15 which matched the number of linked objects in the preview screen. I re-exported the .fseq file, re-configured the FPP Generic Serial output, modified the Arduino sketch, and now I am getting synchronised lights/music on both the Arduino controller connected by USB cable and the ESPixelsticks connected by wifi.

jchuchla
07-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Actually. Now that you say that, I think your original problem may have been the number of channels you defined for that controller in fpp. You had a start of 1126 and a count of 1173. Those aren't start and end, it's start and count. So the 1173 should have been 48. I bet it would have been fine at that number. You were originally trying to pump 1173 channels out over generic serial. That was likely causing your arduino to overflow and choke. And I'm also not sure where all the data for the output stream was coming from since it wasn't in the file to begin with. I don't know how fpp handles that situation.
But the lower number of actual channels used like you did in the end is probably even more efficient.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kev
07-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Good catch Jon. I just noticed that I did use channel count and not the end channel for the configuration that worked. I will reload the older sketch, setup Vixen as before, and setup the FPP outputs with channel count of 48 to test the older configuration.