PDA

View Full Version : How to get the P10 Matrix running for the first time?

covewi
06-27-2017, 06:57 PM
I have the Rasp Pi up and running.
Hooked up 1 P10 panel
Set the Universe to 1
PS to the P10 and Ron's board
Rons Pi Matrix board attached to the Pi
Do I have to enable anything on the GPIO inputs?
Am I missing something?

How to do get test patterns to run in FPP?
How can I tell if everything is set to work?

lightsonmontague
06-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Just enable a display test. The panel should light up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ukewarrior
06-27-2017, 08:05 PM
pictures of your hookup are always helpful.

I have the Rasp Pi up and running.
Hooked up 1 P10 panel
Set the Universe to 1
PS to the P10 and Ron's board
Rons Pi Matrix board attached to the Pi
Do I have to enable anything on the GPIO inputs?
Am I missing something?

How to do get test patterns to run in FPP?
How can I tell if everything is set to work?

covewi
06-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Not good on my part - Ron's Pi Matrix board was touching the top of the Raspberry - I wonder if that caused a problem.

I straightened the video output board and restarted. It lives!
Now I feel better hooking it up the the 30 panel build

Thanks

covewi
07-09-2017, 04:16 PM
I finished the P10 frame build and wanted to try the 5X6 matrix - hooked everything up and - nothing.
So I hooked up the Raspberry Pi to a single P10 panel - which has always worked - nothing - can't access the FPP software on the laptop.

Hooked the Pi up to a monitor and get this message -

Did a clean re-install of FFP and everything looked fine - hooked it up to the Pi and nothing.
Back to the monitor - I keep getting the same message as above.

Suggestions - help?

Thanks
Covewi

lightsonmontague
07-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Looks like a hard power down caused a dirty bit to be set. Do a full format erase of the sd and USB then reinstall.

mrGrumpy
07-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Looks like a hard power down caused a dirty bit to be set. Do a full format erase of the sd and USB then reinstall.

covewi, I agree with lightsonmontague, but I would take it a step further, just to cover everything formatting can correct.

Use SDFormatter V4.0 or better - Free. If you don't have it, get it.

Agree to full erase, but may even think Full Overwrite - little longer.
And also use option to set size. This will give you an as shipped format-Not as FPP set.

covewi
07-10-2017, 01:32 PM
"Looks like a hard power down caused a dirty bit to be set"

What do you mean by a "hard" power down?

What would be the correct way to power down the Pi so this does not happen again?

Thanks.

mrGrumpy
07-10-2017, 06:32 PM
"Looks like a hard power down caused a dirty bit to be set"

What do you mean by a "hard" power down?

What would be the correct way to power down the Pi so this does not happen again?

Thanks.

See attached for shutdown.

Also, use a quality SD Card. I only use SanDisk Class 10 and have no issues. I did on a lesser quality, but no longer with SanDisk.

covewi
07-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Thanks - SanDisk is running now - I was just unplugging the power to the Pi and bet that caused the problems. We will see later tonight.

mrGrumpy
07-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Thanks - SanDisk is running now - I was just unplugging the power to the Pi and bet that caused the problems. We will see later tonight.

I've had ground fault shutdowns while running the show, so hard power off is not the only thing.....it's that plus something else....I think it is loss of power while writing to the SD
With that said, I turned off the logging to lessen the write time.

The best thing to do is to make a couple spare FPP SD's - if you do damage one, just plug in another SD and you are running.
Spares are easier to make now rather than when running a show during the season.

lightsonmontague
07-10-2017, 09:22 PM
With 1.9 you can set the sd card to read only. This will also ensure it doesn't happen again

covewi
07-10-2017, 10:25 PM
I updated to 1.9 yesterday and FPP instructed a restart was needed - did so and it crashed. Will try again tomorrow - the long process of an overwrite on a 64G flash drive takes a while.

mrGrumpy
07-10-2017, 11:08 PM
I updated to 1.9 yesterday and FPP instructed a restart was needed - did so and it crashed. Will try again tomorrow - the long process of an overwrite on a 64G flash drive takes a while.

Oh, maybe that's the issue....too big.
I like 16GB

mrGrumpy
07-10-2017, 11:09 PM
With 1.9 you can set the sd card to read only. This will also ensure it doesn't happen again

Hasn't there been some issues with that....like maybe locking up. I know there was something and I do not recall reading a fix

aknflyer
07-11-2017, 01:16 AM
Hasn't there been some issues with that....like maybe locking up. I know there was something and I do not recall reading a fix

Worked great for me. Probably 30 or 40 power offs during testing. No issues. I like it because dont always have the pc in the garage when testing props and power injection.

mrGrumpy
07-11-2017, 02:40 AM

Worked great for me. Probably 30 or 40 power offs during testing. No issues. I like it because dont always have the pc in the garage when testing props and power injection.

So tell us ow this is set......I'm not finding this except in beta

aknflyer
07-12-2017, 02:52 AM
So tell us ow this is set......I'm not finding this except in beta

It is beta. Here is a link to my issues and the fix. http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?46632-New-Setup-of-FPP-Works-1-or-2-times-then-fails-to-boot
Captain Murdock has some notes why it is still listed as beta testers only. It is located in the scripts repository on the FPP near the bottom. You click it and then have to run the script in another level up. I forget which one, as it was feb. After that good to go.
I havent crashed one since install.
Only drawback is cannot do an update without wiping it and starting over. And you can't use SD for media and sequence storage if you are mounting it read-only via the script.

mrGrumpy
07-12-2017, 11:46 AM
It is beta. Here is a link to my issues and the fix. http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?46632-New-Setup-of-FPP-Works-1-or-2-times-then-fails-to-boot
Captain Murdock has some notes why it is still listed as beta testers only. It is located in the scripts repository on the FPP near the bottom. You click it and then have to run the script in another level up. I forget which one, as it was feb. After that good to go.
I havent crashed one since install.
Only drawback is cannot do an update without wiping it and starting over. And you can't use SD for media and sequence storage if you are mounting it read-only via the script.

Thanks for sharing that with us....however, not for me, do not like the drawback locking out updates...as bad as a corrupting the SD, just you get to pick the time.

I haven't corrupted the SD for over a year now. This included running 2016 Christmas and experiencing many California El Nino rain GF's shutdowns. I run 3 Pi. A master and 2 remotes.

I feel if you use a quality (Like SanDisk) microSD of 8 - 32GB (I like 16GB) you reduce the chances of corrupting the write data. Then if you turn off as much logging as possible, you further reduce the chances. Any way you choose, having a running spare is a must, just in case something fails - a quick switch and your running again. I also have a spare, loaded USB drive for each Pi.

covewi
07-12-2017, 06:23 PM
McGrumpy - which "logging" do you suggest to prevent - all of them?

mrGrumpy
07-12-2017, 09:54 PM
I unclick everything = you need to unclick "most"

But I think you need to focus on a smaller MicroSD first....if you haven't yet.

covewi
07-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Thanks MrGrumpy

Amazon delivered a couple of 8 Gig SanDevice MicroSD cards that I bought on Amazon Prime Day. I formatted both and installed FPP without any hitches.
I shut down - through FPP - several times and had no problems restarting.

Would have any time to respond to my latest post?

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?47142-A-second-ruined-microSD-card

mrGrumpy
07-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks MrGrumpy

Amazon delivered a couple of 8 Gig SanDevice MicroSD cards that I bought on Amazon Prime Day. I formatted both and installed FPP without any hitches.
I shut down - through FPP - several times and had no problems restarting.

Would have any time to respond to my latest post?

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?47142-A-second-ruined-microSD-card

Why not try a "pull the plug" shutdown and see how the new cards hold the data. Best to risk now, and not while running show. I feel you will restart

aknflyer
07-13-2017, 01:14 AM
I do not have a problem with no updates for now with the read only script. As a newbie, doing lots of testing & building props. Updates are maybe once a year, I can deal with that for now. Later after everything is built, may reconsider.

mrGrumpy
07-13-2017, 02:22 AM
I do not have a problem with no updates for now with the read only script. As a newbie, doing lots of testing & building props. Updates are maybe once a year, I can deal with that for now. Later after everything is built, may reconsider.

Nothing wrong with your thoughts.......maybe that is why I lean the other direction. I have 7 Pi's. Once a year updates would mean 7 reloads.

aknflyer
07-14-2017, 01:03 AM
I see your point.