PDA

View Full Version : A second ruined microSD card

covewi
05-10-2017, 09:45 PM
I formatted a 16 GB microSD cards to install FPP. (following these instructions - http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html) The format were successful. The FPP software was copied onto the card without any issues but the FPP software install on the Pi3 was not successful.

I went to reformat the microSD card so I could reinstall the FPP files - but bad things happened.

i am running on a MAC and computer said the card could not be read. I tried to format the card using Disk Utilities with no luck and the card is only being read as 30 MB.

I tried to reformat the card on a windows computer and it said the card could not be formatted. The entire process was repeated with another card and the same thing happened.
These are both brand new 16GB SanDisk cards - the real thing.

Whats going on and can someone please help.

Covewi

MikeKrebs
05-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Sorry for your bad luck. No experience with bad sd cards but condolences. Is this a sdmicro in a carrier or using the microsd straight?

Nathan815
05-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Have you tried using the SD Card Formatter utility (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html) from the SD Association as recommended on the installation page (http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/FPP:_Install) of the FPP wiki? Sometimes the built in disk management tools don't work well for formatting SD cards for use on Pi's.

covewi
05-10-2017, 11:30 PM
MicroSD card is in a reader.
Yes - used the official formatting tool. I worked fine the first time I did it but then (I think) because a partition is Linux the formatter won't do its thing.

Suggestions welcome.

Nathan815
05-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Interesting. You could try cleaning it with the Windows diskpart command line utility:

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-format-sd-dead-cards

mrGrumpy
05-11-2017, 12:07 AM
MicroSD card is in a reader.
Yes - used the official formatting tool. I worked fine the first time I did it but then (I think) because a partition is Linux the formatter won't do its thing.

Suggestions welcome.

I've windows formatted a corrupted FPP microSD several timed. That should not be your issue. Are you using a microSD reader or a microSD in a SD adapter then in a reader.

If microSD reader try another....maybe a friends.
If SD adapter, check the format protection switch.

mikeh65
05-11-2017, 10:59 AM
I would suggest changing out what you are using to put the MicroSD card in. Sometimes the converters go bad. I have also run into issues with older converters that can't read the bigger cards. Then see if you can format the card.

Utimgr
05-11-2017, 11:10 AM
I'd second the opinion on trying another reader device, I've had some that seem to misbehave. For uSD I use the carriers, that convert to the standard SD size, and then plug that into the media slot (or the reader adapter). I guess I ought to get to know some of the folks on that side of the house for when these issues come up, least could ask if they had seen it before.

DrNeutron
05-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Interesting. You could try cleaning it with the Windows diskpart command line utility:

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-format-sd-dead-cards

Yep, Diskpart should fix the issue....I would open the command prompt as Administrator.
Here's a quick youtube video showing how as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE01b3BmSlE

covewi
05-11-2017, 08:03 PM
I followed the video below with a sd card that is know to work. However when running the "list disk" command only the HD shows up NOT the sd card - ???

Nathan815
05-11-2017, 10:03 PM
I followed the video below with a sd card that is know to work. However when running the "list disk" command only the HD shows up NOT the sd card - ???

So the SD card is showing up in Windows Explorer but not diskpart?

covewi
05-11-2017, 11:10 PM
I tired a Windows Vista PC and can get the SD card to show up. But it only show its 32 MB when actually its a 16 GM card.
Ran disk part and list disk. I can now get the SD card reader to show up and disk #3 shows up as 32 MB.
Tried to clean that partition with no luck.

All the above works on 2 GB SD card - so could the card by bad? Both bad?

Thanks

MikeKrebs
05-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Do you have a computer guy "friend"? Let him or her have a play with one of them. My work mate and I do this frequently for people. Something like this, it would only be a few minutes and we'd either have corrected it or declared it a loss (not worth the time as if it happened once....).

mrGrumpy
05-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Do you have a computer guy "friend"? Let him or her have a play with one of them. My work mate and I do this frequently for people. Something like this, it would only be a few minutes and we'd either have corrected it or declared it a loss (not worth the time as if it happened once....).

Agree here, and I and others have mentioned before.....try on a friends machine.

So, if SDFormatter (with the resize option turned on) doesn't work, you have a bad reader, bad cable, a corrupt copy of SDFormatter, or your OP system is corrupted. Not likely a damaged SD from the FPP miss load.

gust334
05-12-2017, 06:04 PM
I formatted a 16 GB microSD cards to install FPP. (following these instructions - http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html) The format were successful. The FPP software was copied onto the card without any issues but the FPP software install on the Pi3 was not successful.

I went to reformat the microSD card so I could reinstall the FPP files - but bad things happened.

i am running on a MAC and computer said the card could not be read. I tried to format the card using Disk Utilities with no luck and the card is only being read as 30 MB.

I tried to reformat the card on a windows computer and it said the card could not be formatted. The entire process was repeated with another card and the same thing happened.
These are both brand new 16GB SanDisk cards - the real thing.

Whats going on and can someone please help.

Covewi

This procedure might be different on more recent Mac OS X, but on version 10.4-10.9 or so... you probably changed the partition type without realizing it when you erased the flash drive with Disk Utility.

Using Disk Utility, select the flash drive and then select the "Partition" tab. It will change to showing "Current". Change the pop-up menu to "1 Partition", and then select "Options" under the partition area. There are three choices, GUID (Linux, bootable on Mac/intel), Apple (bootable on Mac/PPC), and Master Boot Record. I think you want Master Boot Record if you plan to use the SD card on a PC.

covewi
05-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Thank you everyone - I tried everything.
Ordered 2 new 8 GB SanDisk microSD cards from Amazon - will be delivered tomorrow.

I can't wait to see the Pi up and running.

Covewi

gust334
05-13-2017, 01:54 AM
On a Mac, run Disk Utility, select the SD drive/card, select the "Partition" tab. If you don't see a "Partition" tab, then you didn't select the SD drive, you've selected some subset of it (e.g. one of the partitions on it.)

Once you have "Partition", then change the "Current" pop-up to "1 Partition", then select "Options". You'll have three choices. Do not select Apple partition map, that is only for disks to boot older PowerPC Macs. The default is GUID, and the other choice is MBR. I don't know which of the two you need for the Pi, but I've found better results on Windows with MBR.

Once you're done with partitioning, then you can format the single volume as FAT and carry on.

jValue
05-13-2017, 08:12 PM
HI,
If you have an android phone that uses a microsd, i found it to be the fastest way to recover from a failed FPP format.

covewi
05-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Finally the SD card is formatted and the FPP is installed.
But now - how the heck do I connect to the Player with either my Mac or PC?
On Pi boot the following IP address shows up 192.168.1.75

I followed all the videos and install tutorials -
When going wireless and typing http://fpp/ I get a "resolution successful" from what appears to be my router. No FPP interface.

If I connect the Pi directly to the computer using a ethernet cable I can see the IP address of what must be the board - and by typing http://fpp/ - again nothing.

Any suggestions by either the Mac or Pc users?

Thanks

mrGrumpy
05-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Finally the SD card is formatted and the FPP is installed.
But now - how the heck do I connect to the Player with either my Mac or PC?

I followed all the videos and install tutorials -
When going wireless and typing http://fpp/ I get a "resolution successful" from what appears to be my router. No FPP interface.

If I connect the Pi directly to the computer using a ethernet cable I can see the IP address of what must be the board - and by typing http://fpp/ - again nothing.

Any suggestions by either the Mac or Pc users?

Thanks

Try just typing the IP address into the browser.
FYI: FPP does not like IE. Use FoxFire, EDGE, Chrome or Safari for example......

covewi
05-15-2017, 07:43 PM
mrGrumpy - via the wireless or ethernet connection?
Is the Pi 3 wifi automatically set up?

mrGrumpy
05-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Cable, yes...Wifi - No, you need to enter the SSID and Password on the network screen

If you install with sound connected (speakers) it will tell you the valid IP it is using.

covewi
05-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Thanks - why not use the wifi?
I was actually able to bring the FPP up using wifi.

Covewi

Ruppro
05-16-2017, 01:16 AM
Its not that you can't use Wifi, but it needs to be configured w/ your SSID and password (if you have one) to connect to your network.

Covewi

Emuney18
05-16-2017, 07:30 AM

Covewi

If I'm following you need to go to a browser on a computer and enter that IP address. Then you will have to change the wifi under network settings as someone said. For what it's worth, typing FPP has never worked for me on any computer or browser, probably my user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrGrumpy
05-16-2017, 10:39 AM
....................... For what it's worth, typing FPP has never worked for me on any computer or browser, probably my user error.

I need to add a forward slash for mine to work. Have you tried that?
FPP/

covewi
05-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Using the wireless connection, on my Mac, I just typed in the Pi's IP address and I was connected.
So does that mean I can now upload sequences and media or do I have to put the routers wireless info in Falcon Player first?

Thanks for all the help - I can't wait for the P10 panels to arrive.

MikeKrebs
05-16-2017, 11:59 PM
The short answer is you are good to go.

The longer answer is you might want to think about putting the pi and your show controllers in their own network space in which you would use the wireless to connect to the pi from your pc. But that can wait.

Start loading it up and have fun!

covewi
05-17-2017, 07:16 PM
MikeKrebs - 36577
To setup the wireless feature do I use the (wlan0) drop down, WPA SSID, and the WPA key?

I assume for the SSID its the name of my wireless connection? WireXXX
And the access key 52375XXX.

Is that all I need to do?

Thanks

Emuney18
05-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Yes that is correct but you should really make it a static wireless ip so you can find it if you have to restart. Do you know what numbers your router assigns? I just set my router to be dhcp server for a subset of the ip addresses. In my example 192.168.1.1-149. 192.168.1.150-254 are reserved for my Xmas lights and other static IPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covewi
05-29-2017, 06:35 PM
Thanks for everyones online and offline help. A new issue has shown up. A board member was very helpful in running some diagnostics for me. But we're stuck.
I loaded a working mp3 (verified by a board member on his FPP). When I try to play the mp3 all I hear is a loud high pitched sound. I am running a new Pi3 with the latest software FPP.

Which drop down do I choose here?
Do I need to choose an Audio output?

mrGrumpy
05-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Thanks for everyones online and offline help. A new issue has shown up. A board member was very helpful in running some diagnostics for me. But we're stuck.
I loaded a working mp3 (verified by a board member on his FPP). When I try to play the mp3 all I hear is a loud high pitched sound. I am running a new Pi3 with the latest software FPP.

Which drop down do I choose here?
Do I need to choose an Audio output?
Under: Status/Control, Select FPP Settings
Then Select: Audio Output Device: bcm2835 ALSA (Pi Onboard Audio)
If you do not see this, your drivers didn't load . . others will need to help with that.

covewi
05-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks

I cannot choose an audio output device - do I need to reload or reinstall the Pi software?

mrGrumpy
05-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Thanks

I cannot choose an audio output device - do I need to reload or reinstall the Pi software?

Not sure where you are or what you have done, but that would be my next process......

covewi
06-04-2017, 01:33 PM
I re-installed the FFP software and did the latest upgrade - no issues - all looks good
Uploaded a known working songs and sequence, made a playlist, and setup a schedule.
On the main status page it does not appear that anything is running according to the schedule ( I don't see the elapsed or remaining time changing) and again the only audio output is a high pitched sequel.

There are no errors on the install - I am stumped.
I am not running the P10 manual - just the audio - should that work?

mrGrumpy
06-04-2017, 01:52 PM
I re-installed the FFP software and did the latest upgrade - no issues - all looks good
Uploaded a known working songs and sequence, made a playlist, and setup a schedule.
On the main status page it does not appear that anything is running according to the schedule ( I don't see the elapsed or remaining time changing) and again the only audio output is a high pitched sequel.

There are no errors on the install - I am stumped.
I am not running the P10 manual - just the audio - should that work?

First, I think it may be the period you have in the sequence name. Copying and rename your sequence (on the computer) as test.fseq. Then reloading to FPP.
Goto playlist and remove the existing 05.I Saw..... from the playlist. Add the new test.fseq to your playlist. Save and test again.

Advise results.

jnealand
06-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Since the new info has nothing to do with a 2nd ruined SD card I think you need to start a new thread with an approriate title. Continuing this thread just confuses folks and screws up searching.

covewi
07-12-2017, 09:08 PM
I am really lost when it comes to networking. I have finished my 5x6 P10 matrix and need to run a test pattern.

I cannot get my Macbook directly to the Pi using an ethernet cable nor do I know how to connect wirelessly to the Pi.
Can someone please walk me through on how to do both.

I have no problem connecting my MacBook using wifi to the Pi thats connected to the router.

Thank you

MikeKrebs
07-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Using wire is almost always easiest if you attach to a router/ switch/hub. Direct connections should work but have issues that are easy to avoid with the switch.

One wireless router involved or two?

Is the pi on the p10 matrix setup on the same network as pi #1? What did you set for ip address for wired and wireless?

Is the macbook wireless or wired to your network?

Ruppro
07-12-2017, 10:27 PM
You will want to connect it to the same network as the one you can connect to, but shutdown the working one 1st. By default they are both named "FPP". So you will connect the P10 Pi to the router and power it on, then you will be able to connect to it using the browser and http://ffp/, go to the Network Config and change the "HostName" to something else (P10) and set a static IP for this Pi (different than the other, but on the same subnet). Now you can have both Pis connected to the router and running at the same time accessing one w/ FPP/ and the other w/ P10/ (or whatever you named it)

covewi
07-13-2017, 10:50 AM
I have one Pi connected directly to the router and connect wirelessly with the MacBook to the FPP and one wireless router.
Tried this - from earlier in this thread - without any luck. Am I doing this correctly?
Do I need to do anything with the DNS?

"To setup the wireless feature do I use the (wlan0) drop down, WPA SSID, and the WPA key?
I assume for the SSID its the name of my wireless connection? WireXXX
And the access key 52375XXX"

jnealand
07-13-2017, 05:29 PM
You might get more help if you start a new thread with an appropriate title. Your questions now have nothing to do with a ruined microSD card.