PDA

View Full Version : Any 74HC595 substitute? HELPPP!!!

matias.ing
10-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm interested in setting up a christmas lights show. I've decided to make the Olsen 595. I went to an electronics shop, asked for the 74HC595 and they said that they don't have it. Does anybody know any substitute for the 74HC595 that could replace it in the controller board and that still works with the Olsen 595 plug-in of Vixen??

Please I need help.

An if posible I would thank a substitute for the 74HC40103, as I want to make the dimmed version but I couldn't find that IC in my country.

I'm from Uruguay, so I apologize for the English mistakes, as I speak Spanish. XD

Thanks

Matias

ErnieHorning
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
74HC595 is the generic part number. We usually get parts from Mouser.com and they do ship to South America.

Here is the link for the though hole version of the part: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=yRUxxYa83cilDlxqXNhtEg%3d%3d

Here’s the Latin contact page if it would be easier for you to communicate in Spanish: http://www.mouser.com/contact-latin/

They also have the 74HC103 but I would recommend that you just build the 595 part of it this year since there is very little time left and look into building a version of the Renard controller for next year. A Renard controller is as easy to build as a 595 one except it will have dimming. If you make SSR’s with the same parts as those for dimming, you can use them with the 595 controller and a Renard controller.

matias.ing
10-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Ok thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm trying to get in touch with mouser electronics.

It's so easy to make a renard board?? Here we have 240 V and 50 Hz at home, so there should be made a lot of changes, and As i'm new this i would like to have any schematic or PCB of a Board working with vixen in that conditions.

Thanks.

daviddth
10-27-2008, 05:42 AM
It's so easy to make a renard board?? Here we have 240 V and 50 Hz at home, so there should be made a lot of changes, and As i'm new this i would like to have any schematic or PCB of a Board working with vixen in that conditions.

The Ren 64 works fine with 240V 50Hz (same as here in Australia). The SSR's are the items which do the actual switching so they have to be rated for the voltage and load you intend switching, but 1A at 240V is easy to do without headsinks as we usually use 6A 600V triacs or higher in the SSR's

The ZC signal used for dimming on the Renard 64 is now created on the board using a small 240V to about 9V AC transformer. The ren 16 can also be adapted for 240V operation, but I have yet to build one of them yet

Dave

ErnieHorning
10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Renard works with 50 or 60 Hz; it’s automatic in the software. Do you really use 240 volt Christmas lights? A lot of countries don’t allow this because of the danger in running 240 volts around the yard and house. I know that several people in those situations use transformers to step the voltage down to 24 volts. Some convert this to DC and use FET transistors to control the lights.

At 24 volts, you probably will just blow a fuse and you can see what you did wrong. 240 volt mistakes tend to violently remove the parts from the board.

daviddth
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Ernie
Silhouettes in windows, Rope Lights, Floodlights etc all use 240V here in Australia (And other countries), so yes we do use it in the yard, but with a lot of care (And waterproofing!)

24V is the more common light string with removeable bulbs like the US 110V 50 to 110 cct strings, and these use a small plugpack (AKA Wall Wart) to step down to a voltage thats a lot better in the yard.

matias.ing
10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes we use that voltage...It so dangerous that whe have to waterproof everything!!!! And the worst part is that christmas here is in summer season...so it's rains a lot....and everything is always wet because of the humidity.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I'm looking for Renard info. Does anybody have any PCB of the Renard 8, 16 or 24??

Thanks...

Matias

daviddth
10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
John (wjohn) should have the ren 16 and 64's in stock, so send him a PM or drop into the chat most evenings (Australian time) and he should be able to help.

ErnieHorning
10-27-2008, 01:32 PM
PM wjohn (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/member.php?u=11). He graciously had large quantities of double sided circuit boards made for most of our designs. This helps keep the cost down, improve the look of your controllers and immensely increase the reliability of your project. This is one of the huge advantages of being able to communicate world wide today.

I believe currently there are 8, 16, 24 & 64 channel Renard designs. Some have the TRIAC’s mounted locally and some are on a separate board that can be located far away from the controller and connected with CAT5 network cable. There are advantages to each design depending on your application.

The part list for each of the controller is located in the Renard Main Page (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard_Main_Page) Section of the Christmas Wiki (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page). I believe that all of the parts can be ordered through mouser, but you can use parts that you may already have or can obtain locally.