PDA

View Full Version : Which Beagle puppy to bring home?

Wolfie
03-26-2017, 01:58 PM
I was gathering an order at MCM and thought I knew which beagle to bring home :(

They have 3 possibles:

Beaglebone Black $48.00
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/BEAGLEBOARD-BBONE-BLACK-4G-/83-16241

BeagleBone Black Wireless with WiFi and Bluetooth $68.75
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/BEAGLEBOARD-BBBWL-SC-562-/83-17778

BeagleBone Black Industrial $64.00
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/ELEMENT14-BBONE-BLACK-IND-4G-/83-17007

BeagleBone Black Starter Kit $114.99
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/BEAGLEBOARD-83-16417RK-/83-16417RK

I have a DIYLEDExpress Octo board and plan to drive P10 panels.

With the Octo, not likely I can use the box from the kit. Since I have to power the P10 panels, not sure if I can/will use the 5v PSU. The hub, card, and wifi are about the only usable parts in the box. And here is the odd thing. The BBB board in the poto of the kit is different than the board shown on the BBB page.

Would appreciate recommendations from those in the know.

jnealand
03-26-2017, 02:56 PM
I do not believe anyone has ever gotten the BB with wifi working.
The industrial model is great in very cold temps according to Dan Kulp and is all he uses
I have never found starter kits to be a great deal.

so that leaves the regular old BBB or maybe a BBG. I have used both with no problems.

Wolfie
03-26-2017, 02:58 PM
"Very cold" is subjective. To a Floridian, 60f is cold. To me up here in Wisconsin, its not cold unless the temp starts with a minus sign.

dkulp
03-26-2017, 03:12 PM
In Wisconsin, the Industrial is BY FAR your best option. Make sure you pair it with an SD card rated for USE at low temperatures (most just list storage at low temperature, we need use at low temps). The non-industrial is likely to lock up in cold environments. You can limit it a bit by not using the on-board eMMC flash (only use the low temp SD card) and use a good USB wifi adapter and NOT the built in ethernet. The eMMC and the ethernet are the two parts on the standard BBB that are known to flake out at low temperatures.

Wolfie
03-27-2017, 10:57 AM
I threw in the BBI (Industrial Black) with the order of 3 Pi3's and one of the new 8mp cameras.

I really appreciate the feedback. I have never owned a BB so wasn't sure which model to go with. I really wan't thinking that the kit was the best option. Initially its not likely that it will be outside, most likely sitting in my warm bay window. But I wanted to make the best choice in the event plans change and it does actually go outside. They are almost double the price of a Pi but if it increases its potential use scenarios, then its probably worth the extra cost.

Wolfie
03-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Well, UPS tracking says they should be here...TOMORROW! Woa thats fast.

Gilrock
03-29-2017, 09:30 AM
"Very cold" is subjective. To a Floridian, 60f is cold. To me up here in Wisconsin, its not cold unless the temp starts with a minus sign.

Yeah but we aren't talking about people...lol. Electronics don't adapt to their climates. I had issues with one at only 30F.

Wolfie
03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Yeah but we aren't talking about people...lol. Electronics don't adapt to their climates. I had issues with one at only 30F.

No, that wasn't the point. If I told you that I have problems with xLights running when its really cold. What does that actually mean? The human concept of "very cold" to you out in Tuscon is a completely different meaning than someone in the Northern Territories of Canada isn't it? When I lived in Florida, your 30f would have been in my dictionary as very cold. Now, hell, I don't even put socks on to snow blow unless its 10f or less. And long pants aren't really needed until its below zero.

So I was hoping that he would qualify the statement with an actual temperature of what he considers "very cold" that way I could relate it to my environment here in Wisconsin so I would know if my version of very cold matched his version of very cold. Anyway, I ordered the industrial one. Hopefully that will suffice. I am not likely to put it outside. But I don't know yet.

And while on the subject of cold. Dan mentioned cold rated SD cards. I don't recall seeing one listed as such. And AFAIK, I didn't experience any issues with the Pi with a standard uSD card running outdoors last year. I have also flown my drone many times in sub-zero temps with no ill effects. Though, I suspect the internal electronics were considerably warmer due to the internal heaters the bird has as well as the heat dissipation by the battery and motor controllers. The uSD slot, however, is in the camera module which is slung under the drone body and not heated other than by normal use.

Most of mine are stock SandDsk Extreme cards as they have been reliable for me over the years in other applications.

So, what problems are seen by uSD problems in cold weather and what cards are people using that are rated for extreme conditions?

Gilrock
03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Sorry I don't have time to read one of your sermons...lol.

Wolfie
03-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Thats fine. You can safely move along then.

dkulp
03-29-2017, 10:05 PM
And while on the subject of cold. Dan mentioned cold rated SD cards. I don't recall seeing one listed as such. And AFAIK, I didn't experience any issues with the Pi with a standard uSD card running outdoors last year. I have also flown my drone many times in sub-zero temps with no ill effects. Though, I suspect the internal electronics were considerably warmer due to the internal heaters the bird has as well as the heat dissipation by the battery and motor controllers. The uSD slot, however, is in the camera module which is slung under the drone body and not heated other than by normal use.

Most of mine are stock SandDsk Extreme cards as they have been reliable for me over the years in other applications.

SanDisk are good ones. I've switched to them. They are rated down to -14 degrees F. See https://www.sandisk.com/about/proof

I had some cheaper brand that I later found out was only rated down to 0 degrees C. Not too useful in New England.

Wolfie
03-29-2017, 10:51 PM
Thanks Dan. Thats the scoop I needed. Glad the cards I been using are fine. They aren't cheap but they have always provided good service so I can't complain there.

Phrog30
03-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Wolfie if you want to get technical, there really isn't such thing as cold. It's a lack of heat. I agree with Gil, people can be subjective, things can't.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wolfie
03-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Wolfie if you want to get technical, there really isn't such thing as cold. It's a lack of heat. I agree with Gil, people can be subjective, things can't.

That was MY point. Which is why I wanted to know actual temps and not human references which differ from state to state.

Gilrock
03-30-2017, 10:44 AM
I gave the temperature where my board had problems. Just buy the industrial version like you were told and we can quit wasting internet bandwidth.

Wolfie
03-30-2017, 11:29 AM
I gave the temperature where my board had problems. Just buy the industrial version like you were told and we can quit wasting internet bandwidth.

I did, had you actually utilized some of your wasted bandwidth and read the earlier posts, you would see that I took their advice and ordered the BBBI two days before you chimed in here for the first time and it was delivered only an hour after you posted. Its sitting in a box at home waiting to get its octo attached and tested.

And, congratulations. You were the first to actually specify a non-subjective temperature.

Gilrock
03-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah I read that. I just wanted to see if you ever stop talking.

Wolfie
03-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Yeah I read that. I just wanted to see if you ever stop talking.

No.