PDA

View Full Version : 3D Bethlehem Star

Elmo2resc
10-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Here are a couple picture of my 3D Bethlehem Star. I basically looked at Wayne's Star then just made it 3D. It is about 4' tall without counting the base. I have coved it in rope light. It took some time to rewire the rope light so it wouldn't have a bunch of double backs on the rods. It is 3 channels and will be placed on my roof. Still to come is some views of it animated. I don't have anything programmed yet. This was one of those things I just decided to fit in on a weekend. I don't have any diagrams because I just built it. I was having difficulty trying to figure out how it would go together exactly, so I just thought I would figure it out as the night went on.
Jerome

dnesci
10-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Very nice. Oh to have talent and creativity.

greenmeanie
10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Have to see this one lit up? Will it look to busy to see the outlines?

Photovor
10-23-2008, 01:07 PM
That's an awesome looking lightning rod! :-). Seriously though, great job. I wish I had a welder to do stuff like this.

gmbartlett
10-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow, that is great! It is very similar to what I've been envisioning as a topping for my mega tree. It didn't get done this year but next year for sure. Any tips/hints/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

kmc123
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Looks FANTASTIC!!!

Matt_Edwards
10-31-2008, 01:42 AM
You sure have raised the bar with this star. Can't wait to see the lighted version.

Wayne J
11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Pretty creative!
I would think 6 channels, would be an idea. 3 for the 'star' then the other 3 for a dimmed outline or colored auroa so to speak.
Nice job!

Elmo2resc
12-06-2008, 02:00 AM
I hadn't really thought of doing more channels on the star. That is a great idea wayne. For next year though, LOL. I will get some video out soon of it. It looks pretty good up on the roof from all angles. When I first lit it up in my living room I thought it looked to busy. Up on the roof it looks completely different. I have just been so busy trying to get the show up I haven;t had time to post. Due to a wind storm last week and using upper fence post for my mega tree (wasn't a good idea for the tree I built), I was busy rebuliding it all week. Looks like tommorrow will be the day.
Jerome

BigWood
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
The star looks exactly what I had envisioned for the star I want on top of my megatree. Have you got any pictures of it mounted and lit up on the tree?
Looking forward to see the video!

Great job,
Anthony

Jeff Millard
12-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Man! That thing is beeeutiful! I need more pictures so I blatently copy it!:p
Very nice job Jerome!
Jeff

Elmo2resc
12-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Ok, Here is a video of the star on the roof. Sorry about the poor quality of the video.

Jerome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ97pRxFQpM

toodle_pipsky
12-30-2008, 03:06 AM
Pfft poor quality video - that's a darn nice star! Looks awesome.

rstehle
12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Wow, that looks great! Nice Job!!

wbuehler
12-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Nice looking star

Bill

vairmoose
12-31-2008, 08:02 AM
WOW!!! That star raises the bar. Even with less than absolutely wonderful film, that star really shines through.

Larry

Macrosill
01-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok, Here is a video of the star on the roof. Sorry about the poor quality of the video.

Jerome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ97pRxFQpM
That video quality was horribly. I wonder why Youtube even allowed such poor quality. :D

To put it simply, that is an amazing star. Great work!

jrock64
01-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Oh crap.
That thing looks just too good.
Now I have something else I have to build for next year.

I think we need a detailed how to with a few sketches.
Really hard to pick up the complete design from just the photos.

Elmo2resc
01-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I will see what I can do. I should be able to fit it in now that I am done getting ready for X-mas 2008 and only have to get ready for X-mas 2009. I should have plenty of time..:D

I will try to get something up in the near future..

Elmo2resc
01-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Ok, here is a basic how to on how I built my 3D Bethlehem Star.

Materials:
steel rod
1 upper fence post
rope light
paint

First build the 6x6x6 Cube, 12 triangles, 20 triangles and 12 spikes.

I draw all the parts onto the back side of wrapping paper to scale so I can tack them at the proper angles.

Next weld 2 of the 12 triangles to each side of the cube as shown in picture. Then weld 2 of the 20 triangles to the top part of the star as shown.

Now for the bottom of the star I drew out the post used on paper and adjusted the length of the bottom 20 Triangle so it would be at the proper angle.

Next weld the spikes straight off each corner of the cube.

Attach the lights and youre done.

I used rope light and dissected it so I didnt double back on any of the runs. This took a long time. If I were going to do this again I would attach minis with clips. That way when a section fails it will be easy to replace or repair.

I hope this helps some of you out that want to attempt it. If there are any more questions, feel free to ask.

wbuehler
01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Nice How To

Bill

SteveMaris
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Great "how to". I am in the process of making one right now. Buying the steel from a home depot or similar store is a waste of money. A 3 foot section was 3 dollars. I found this place that has good prices. I went to the store that was 15 miles from my house, but they also ship. I will post pics when i am done.
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

budude
01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Great "how to". I am in the process of making one right now. Buying the steel from a home depot or similar store is a waste of money. A 3 foot section was 3 dollars. I found this place that has good prices. I went to the store that was 15 miles from my house, but they also ship. I will post pics when i am done.
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Thanks for that link - never heard of these guys but found they have a place only a couple miles from my work - sweet!

Greg in Canby
01-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I often visit links posted here and am disappointed as they usually are not around Oregon.

One here in Portland, five minutes from my workplace!! WOOHOO . . . thank you for the link!!

Greg

SteveMaris
01-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Good deal!
Funny thing is I searched online ( for hours) for a retail metal shop and found no small order places. I open the yellow pages,(first time in years) and there it was.

Elmo2resc
02-06-2011, 02:34 AM
I order all my stuff from a local metal supply. It is the only way to go. You pay way to much at home depot. I stopped using steel, It was a pain to clean and paint. Steel always seems to rust. Now I am using Aluminum, it is a little bit more but worth it.

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I order all my stuff from a local metal supply. It is the only way to go. You pay way to much at home depot. I stopped using steel, It was a pain to clean and paint. Steel always seems to rust. Now I am using Aluminum, it is a little bit more but worth it.

not to mention lighter and well does not rust :)......the star was a lot dimmer than the normal beth star but thats because it had this cool feature you created depth (3d)it actually looked 3d when lit so wonderful job.......what method are you using to weld the aluminum together?

kychristmas
02-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I love aluminum, but the price is not the only consideration. Welding it requires a great more skill. For wireframes and most of the stuff we do, a Cheap flux-core welder works well enough. A friend tried to show me and I just don't have the patience. It also seems to require much better equipment.

How do you weld aluminum?

I hadn't really thought of doing more channels on the star. That is a great idea wayne. For next year though, LOL. I will get some video out soon of it. It looks pretty good up on the roof from all angles. When I first lit it up in my living room I thought it looked to busy. Up on the roof it looks completely different. I have just been so busy trying to get the show up I haven;t had time to post. Due to a wind storm last week and using upper fence post for my mega tree (wasn't a good idea for the tree I built), I was busy rebuliding it all week. Looks like tommorrow will be the day.
Jerome

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I love aluminum, but the price is not the only consideration. Welding it requires a great more skill. For wireframes and most of the stuff we do, a Cheap flux-core welder works well enough. A friend tried to show me and I just don't have the patience. It also seems to require much better equipment.

How do you weld aluminum?

lots of gas....lmao ! :)

Matt_Edwards
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I too believe Al TIG welding is hard. Never tried personally as I don't haven't got the right equipment. My brother in-law is OK at at though.

An easier way is Al brazing (http://durafix.com/). It is easy as, even I get good results. I used it to fabricate exhaust pipe for my model boats.

Mactayl
02-07-2011, 06:04 AM
I too believe Al TIG welding is hard. Never tried personally as I don't haven't got the right equipment. My brother in-law is OK at at though.

An easier way is Al brazing (http://durafix.com/). It is easy as, even I get good results. I used it to fabricate exhaust pipe for my model boats.

That DuraFix Al brazing stuff looks pretty simple to use, How strong would you say the welds are?

Matt_Edwards
02-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Pretty strong. I braze a 450mm Al exhaust on to a manifold for my gas boat. There is a lot of vibrations at 60km/h for a model boat.
if you read the blurb they reckon the alloy is stronger than AL by itself.

Mactayl
02-07-2011, 07:53 AM
It's also a heck of a lot cheaper then a MIG or AC/TIG setup for small jobs.

kychristmas
02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks Matt. The video on the site is excellent.

Elmo2resc
03-04-2011, 01:33 AM
I use a MIG welder with argon gas. I already had the equipment so the cost wasn't really an issue. It is more difficult to weld though, get it too hot and you have a puddle of metal.

SteveMaris
03-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Here are a couple of pics of mine.(crappy phone pics, sorry) It is a slight variation of the one above. I used 3/16 steel, and at the bottom, (not pictured) I welded a 4 inch long, 1/2 diameter threaded bolt. I plan on welding a nut to the top of my mega tree pole for it to screw into.

It ended up being 4' 2" tall. I have three channels on it, 2 whites, 1 multi. I channel outer cross, I channel inner cross, and multi's going all around the perimeter. The white minis are all coming off. I am going with cool white leds, and I plan on installing as many as will fit, with minimum 1" spacing.
I ordered the perpendicular light clips so they will all be facing outward.
Hope this helps....
Steve