PDA

View Full Version : Replaceable led or led color lenses

timekeeper
01-02-2017, 11:09 PM
I have a wireframe dancing santa that I want to convert from incandescent to LED. I need to have a mixture of red and white on the same string. With incandescents I just replace the correct color bulb into the string. I have not been able to find mini led (or m5) that can be swapped out.
Do they make such a thing as replaceable LED bulbs, or replaceable color lenses to cover white LEDs?

pmiller
01-03-2017, 12:02 AM
When I was watching the great Christmas light fight I noticed one contestant used all white bulbs and then individually painted them the colors they wanted. I have no idea what kind of paint they used but it's a good idea when you're making something like a face and you want blue eyes, red lips and yellow hair all from one strand of lights.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

cpcoaster
01-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Something like this may work for you:

http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=CC-M5

rstehle
01-03-2017, 01:17 AM
Something like this may work for you:

http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=CC-M5

I got a sample pack of those a couple of years ago. It seemed to me that they dimmed the LED too much.

rstehle
01-03-2017, 01:21 AM
I have a wireframe dancing santa that I want to convert from incandescent to LED. I need to have a mixture of red and white on the same string. With incandescents I just replace the correct color bulb into the string. I have not been able to find mini led (or m5) that can be swapped out.
Do they make such a thing as replaceable LED bulbs, or replaceable color lenses to cover white LEDs?

How many actual bulbs of each color do you need? I came across some 50 count LED strings a while back that had interchangeable colored bulbs. I may have a couple left.

Hockeyhunter1956
01-03-2017, 07:36 AM
When I added wire lights to my wire frames (40) I used Color Rite Interchangable M5 LED lights which allowed me to put up to 8 various colored bulbs and lenses anywhere on one string if needed. That gave me the ability to really custom light my wire frames. And boy were they bright.

http://www.planetbulb.com/led-c5-holiday-strings/

timekeeper
01-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Thank you for the information and links to the replaceable bulbs and covers. I will check them out. This is exactly what I was hoping to find out!

timekeeper
01-08-2017, 07:39 PM
How many actual bulbs of each color do you need? I came across some 50 count LED strings a while back that had interchangeable colored bulbs. I may have a couple left.

My existing strings are 35 bulbs each, with about 25 red and 10 white. There are 14 strings. Have you experienced any corrosion or connection issues with the replaceable leds?

ben&bobbi
01-08-2017, 08:40 PM
When I was watching the great Christmas light fight I noticed one contestant used all white bulbs and then individually painted them the colors they wanted. I have no idea what kind of paint they used but it's a good idea when you're making something like a face and you want blue eyes, red lips and yellow hair all from one strand of lights.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

That got my attention too. I picked up some glass paint from hobby lobby that I am going to try

Chon_Lee
01-09-2017, 05:38 PM
I knew someone who busted a tail light on his car and painted the bulb red with nail polish.... wasn't bad. Could be worth a try.

rstehle
01-09-2017, 07:48 PM
My existing strings are 35 bulbs each, with about 25 red and 10 white. There are 14 strings. Have you experienced any corrosion or connection issues with the replaceable leds?

No problems so far that I have noticed. Have to apologize though, I only have a couple of Pure White left.

Hockeyhunter1956
01-09-2017, 11:25 PM
The quick (almost answer) is no, I have not experienced any connection/corrosion issue. My guess is that I have about 10,000 of these bulbs on my figures. This is the third year for some of the light strings. Out of three years of service, one string failed because water got into the plug on one string. I have since sealed up all of my plugs with silicone sealant to stop any potential water access. I had one bulb with water intrusion that stopped working but that was easily replaced. I have had to replace about 15-20 bulbs during those 3 years because they stopped working(not due to water intrusion, not sure why), although the rest of the string stayed on.

They are a little spendy but IMHO they have been well worth it and I would purchase again if I was doing this type of project again. This option really allows me to customize my figures. I also tried various different paints on led lenses but in the end, this was the best option for me.

Haydenp
01-13-2017, 01:04 PM
yeah, the other guy beat me to it, but the color rite line is the best choice I am aware of.
they are having a 20% off sale here for them http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/ColorRiteLEDlights.aspx