PDA

View Full Version : wireframe control or pixels?

Ausrod4
12-23-2016, 08:24 PM
so i have some motorised reindeer etc - i would like to control the light part of them - they are dumb LED rope type ones. I guess the options are to try and patch a conroller - or put pixels in as a replacement. Any suggestions? R

codec101
12-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Why stop there? Hook the motors to an Arduino and control the movements too! Maybe it's just me but something about a reindeer changing colors (pixels) doesn't seem right. If it were me I'd connect the whole thing to an Arduino, control the lights on / off and the movement.

Ausrod4
12-23-2016, 08:43 PM
So you would leave the colour as white say? How would I turn it on and off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codec101
12-23-2016, 09:55 PM
They have a standard 120v plug?

Ausrod4
12-24-2016, 01:30 AM
240v here

codec101
12-24-2016, 10:32 PM
Ok so you would need and Arduino that can control a Solid State Relay board that would in turn control your power for that by switching the outlet on and off. The arduino would have to be programmed to receive data and drive the SSR as well as receive data to control motors if you chose to do so. You'd have to look into 240V SSRs though, I can't help you there.

Ausrod4
12-26-2016, 09:41 PM
i am pretty sure the led lights would be lower voltage - i guess i can replace with pixels - OR could i just turn them on and off with a contoller of some sort? The show will run with falcon player - can that control an on and off state? im sure it can!

Re the motor - they are slow moving - its like a crank that moves it - i could leave it running - although would be fun to make it move fast at times - like synchronised dancing - any ideas anyone as to how i could control an effect like that - ie a motor on and off? can i sequence in vixen to do that?

codec101
12-27-2016, 11:41 PM
i am pretty sure the led lights would be lower voltage - i guess i can replace with pixels - OR could i just turn them on and off with a contoller of some sort? The show will run with falcon player - can that control an on and off state? im sure it can!

Re the motor - they are slow moving - its like a crank that moves it - i could leave it running - although would be fun to make it move fast at times - like synchronised dancing - any ideas anyone as to how i could control an effect like that - ie a motor on and off? can i sequence in vixen to do that?

They may be lower voltage yes if there is a transformer stepping down the voltage, I haven't used any of those but if they plug in like a good old string of incandescents and go right on/off when you plug and unplug them (no warm up/down time) then they can be controlled by a SSR.

As for the motors, it would take some reworking to get them to move faster or swapping out them with a different type. That's something that would have to just be fiddled with but vixen let's you send custom values to the controller like an arduino that could be programmed to operate the motor this way or that way depending on the value.