PDA

View Full Version : Wires Running Hot

covewi
12-22-2016, 07:17 PM
I have 3 - 12V PS's for my matrix - which is running fine. However there are two GRN wires that are running warm to the touch. They come off the third PS and connect to the e682.

One goes to bank 3 of the e682 connectors and the second to bank 4 of the e682 connectors. No other wires feel warm to the touch and the PS's fans do not turn on excessively.

Is it normal to have a few "warm" to the touch wires?

Thanks

caretaker
12-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Warm - OK, HOT - not. Two reason wires get warm. 1. There is to much current going through them (upgrade to a larger wire size) 2. Terminals are not tight causing high resistance raising the current draw.

Barnabybear
12-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Hi, +1 on Jeffs comments. I would be thinking about running an additional ground in parallel with the warm one for two reasons:
1. It appears to be carring more load than the others (for some reason).
2. An increased load will generate more volt drop, which when it is the ground is likely to show first as corrupted pixel data.
It might be worth also ensuring that the additional ground is attached to different terminals to spread the load if possable.

covewi
12-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Thanks - I'll try all the suggestions.

iDooT3
12-23-2016, 10:16 AM
If all the wire sizes are the same and you only have 2 that are hot something has to be unique with those 2 wires. if your not using fuses you may have them connected to v+.

DanJ
12-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Not sure what you mean by bank three and four. I am only aware of two spots to tie in power on e682s. ?

budude
12-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Perhaps draw a simple pic of your wiring - I've seen so many folk running multiple +DC wires but not the ground wires and thinking that's how power injection should be done (it isn't).