PDA

View Full Version : Install player on existing raspberry pi

Theashfords
12-14-2016, 01:34 AM
Hi all. I'm using Vixen to setup my light display and been told I can export this to falcon player to then run this on the raspberry pi. I can see on the FP downloads there is a raspberry pi image. However I already have the pi setup with additional software are there any instructions on how to install the required packages on an existing o/s build. Thanks in advance Paul.

Ruppro
12-14-2016, 02:18 AM
What is the existing OS build installed on, micro-SD, just swap in a new SD card prepped for the falcon install. Then you can choose what fuction is booting based on the SD card.

imbluenote
12-14-2016, 08:30 AM
As far as i know you'd need to get another SD card to image FPP on (if you didn't want to overwrite the existing). There may be a way to do it that is beyond my knowledge but it would be like having windows XP and windows 10 on the same machine. You are going to have to boot in one or the other any how. It would just be cleaner to put FPP on it's own disk.

Spyder
12-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Micro sd cards are cheap enough and you don't need anything huge 8gb will do you. You can simply switch sd cards when you have finished playing with lights.

Theashfords
12-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Hi all, yes its running the latest raspbian, just seems a little strange no instructions on how to add the player and having to revert to their SD image.

vincerules
12-14-2016, 07:59 PM
This may get you in the right direction: http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6652.msg64485.html#msg64485

CaptainMurdoch
12-15-2016, 12:25 AM
Hi all, yes its running the latest raspbian, just seems a little strange no instructions on how to add the player and having to revert to their SD image.

Most FPP users are not Linux savvy so we currently only offer FPP pre installed on a SD image. May pointed you to the install script we use to configure a system but as he warned, the installer will take over the system. Currently FPP is treated as an appliance where users don't need to know what is going on under the hood. We have had over 4400 downloads of the FPP v1.8 image in the past 5 months since it was released and only a handful of requests about how to install it manually so I think this model is working well currently. You can always download and compile the source manually if you want and just have it in a directory on your existing webserver.

Theashfords
12-15-2016, 03:10 AM
No worries, just wanted to ask the question, I'll put down the SD image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk