PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve lighted ball help

clafont
12-06-2016, 03:21 PM
I know its not Christmas but I just started dabbling in animated lighted displays. I have a 5 foot wireframe ball (see attached) that I would like to use during a New Years Eve ball drop. I just started learning xlights and continue to read and watch tutorials. I have attached RGB strips to the vertical portions of the frame and have that connected to the alphapix controller. I would really like to place lights on the horizontal portions of the frame. Any quick ideas or solutions to adding lights to the horizontal frame portions?

Wolfie
12-06-2016, 03:36 PM
You may wish to reference my Disco Ball project:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?43863-Project-Disco-Ball&p=440099#post440099

Basically I welded a wire frame using drop ceiling hangar wire. Covered in chicken wire. Wrapped boscoyo strips around it. Covered in duct tape then foil duct tape for reflectivity. Hung a Raspberry Pi and buffer board inside and it was off to the races. It was battery operated, wifi enabled and totally mobile.

While the design parameters may differ from your project, I am sure you can take some construction hints from it and adapt them to your project.