PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Metal tree

captainron19
10-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Not sure if I am posting this in the right section or not. I am looking into building a large metal tree framework for outdoor front yard that I would like to string with LED lights. I have one of those light / music controller boxes from Home Depot that i used for my entire house last year and thought about using it just for the tree this year that I plan on building.

Can anyone direct me to some good plans for such a project?

I remember finding a site last year that involved a round metal base with the pole int he center that involved some welding. Luckily I work for a fire department and we have a quality welder here with someone that can help me so basically I guess I am looking for any ideas or plans that I might be able to find online.

Thanks in advance

ukewarrior
10-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I have a more general question along this line...

Can/Should you build a mega tree Using a Metal Pole?

I have access to enough 1 1/2" metal pipe which is plenty strong, but will I invite a lightning strike?

ErnieHorning
10-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Unless your house has already been struck by lightning, I think that sticking a short metal pole into your yard has a slim chance also. The metal exhaust pipe coming from your furnace has a far greater chance since it’s actually connected to earth ground.

BTW in case anyone ever wondered, the chance of a person in the United States getting struck by lightning is 244,000 to 1. And in case your one of those that thinks that some day your going to hit it big, the chances of winning the lottery is 1,000,000 to 1. So unless you’ve already been hit by lightning, forget the lottery.:p

captainron19
10-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Mega tree - thats the name I was trying to think of. So... does anyone have plans for one of these?

rlilly
10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Check out these threads (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/tags.php?tag=mega+tree+construction), captainron.

omzig
10-14-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't think lightning is a concern unless your planning a Kostyun Tree (30ft). I saw my neighbor across the street's flagpole get stuck by lightning last year. His house is a ranch and there are no trees on his lot so the flagpole was by far the highest point. It was a heck of a flash!

When he put the flagpole in, I thought it was too high (for aesthetic reasons, not lightning) considering his house is one story.

gizmo
10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Mega tree - thats the name I was trying to think of. So... does anyone have plans for one of these?

most mega trees are home designed and built.

there is a site which has a kit using PVC and special fittings, cant think of the site name for sure but i think if you search "christmas light show" you can find it.

hope this helps
Scott

PS if you want you can PM me and i will give you the details of the tree im building (dont want to clutter up this thread)

captainron19
10-14-2008, 04:04 PM
What is everyone's opinion on using a telescoping flag pole such as the one found ehre...

http://theflagpoleco.com/20sasianbfl.html