PDA

View Full Version : Is there a logical explaination?

toodle_pipsky
10-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I've just built another Grinch and was testing it with the LED strings I'd made - it's just a modified tester really. Anyhoo, it works fine so don't worry it's not a troubleshooting thread ;).

So the lights looked great hooked up to just the Grinch. I then hooked up the Ren-C to give it a burl, and the LEDs barely came on. So my question - is driving LEDs directly (that is without an SSR) only something you can do directly from the Grinch and not with the Grinch/Ren-C combo?

jrock64
10-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Someone else will chime in, but I bet the Ren C is running pure renard code. Not PWM.

Meaning a small pulse is sent only at the event and the triac is expected to latch for the remainder of the cycle.

Joel

toodle_pipsky
10-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Ahhh, thanks for that. I didn't program the pic, it came to me that way. Righto - so that's something I'll try . . . when I get a pic programmer.

scorpia
10-12-2008, 02:39 AM
the ren-c ONLY does pwm, there is no other option.

as for why the tester looks funny im not sure.

is it different to any of you other grinches? are you sure the led is 100% on?

off the top of my head i have no idea

Peter

toodle_pipsky
10-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Everything is all in pieces on the lounge floor at the moment or sitting on the anti-static mat in the office, so when I put it together in the case I'll try a different one. I'll also try the 2nd Ren-C I've got with the pic I got from you in Melb Pete, um *cough* when I find it . . . I put it in a very safe place when I got home. :rolleyes:

As for the test at 100% - it is at 100%. I even ran a sequence, the light kinda flickers and doesn't really dim and that dull light is as bright as it gets. And it's not just these LEDs, it's all of them. I'm sure it worked alright before . . .

Basically I wanted to established that it should work. Right maybe it is a troubleshooting thread after all . . . . Once I get my case together tonight I'll test it all proper like. Thanks for the help guys.

dnesci
10-12-2008, 09:24 AM
the ren-c ONLY does pwm, there is no other option.

as for why the tester looks funny im not sure.

is it different to any of you other grinches? are you sure the led is 100% on?

off the top of my head i have no idea

Peter

Peter isn't there an option. If you do not feed back from the C to Grinch, then there is no PWM. It takes both and output and input Cat 5 for PWM. Please correctly if I'm wrong. I don't know if Toodle is using the PWM feedback.

P. Short
10-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Dnesci, you're right. Without feedback from the Grinch there isn't any PWM, just an output pulse.

scorpia
10-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Well,

you learn something every day.

so i should have said there is no option in the firmware.

i will have to test my grinches without the feedback cable to see what happens.

Peter

toodle_pipsky
10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
So . . . . if I'm reading this correctly it indicates that one of the itty-bitty cables between my Ren-c & Grinch is "faulty"? The one to Grinch in?

RavingLunatic
10-12-2008, 06:07 PM
So . . . . if I'm reading this correctly it indicates that one of the itty-bitty cables between my Ren-c & Grinch is "faulty"? The one to Grinch in?

If that is the problem then it will be the cable from Grinch "Out" to Ren-C "From 595 Out".

toodle_pipsky
10-12-2008, 10:38 PM
See, 50/50 chance of picking the right answer and I get it wrong . . . d'oh.

Just checked the cables between Grinch and Ren-C and the little tab went flick. Must have been cracked and not holding the cable in tight. Pulling it out for the last time has broken it. So it's make a new cable time (which I hate btw). And for the record it was the one that RL mentioned - the Grinch out.

This might be it - I post my answer after swearing when making a new cable ;)

toodle_pipsky
10-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Finally got around to making a new cable (did I mention I hate making them?). Still really dull - so the cable breaking was just a co-inky-dink. I'm just going to drive them driectly from a Grinch without the Ren-C, I think they'll look much better as on/off anyway. However, I do wonder what the problem is . . .