PDA

View Full Version : Hacking a garage door opener.

joneslights
10-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I have a garage door opener that the sensors went out. I want to use the motor to run a ghost. Sense the sensors do not work, I'm going to strip the PCB from it and wire it direct. Anyone ever try this?

Please note, this GDO is NOT being used on a door.

ErnieHorning
10-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I remember last year someone was talking about using a GDO for a New Year Eve ball drop. I don’t remember hearing anymore about though.

bmcgeeny
10-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I have a garage door opener that the sensors went out. I want to use the motor to run a ghost. Sense the sensors do not work, I'm going to strip the PCB from it and wire it direct. Anyone ever try this?

Please note, this GDO is NOT being used on a door.

On most older garage door openers you can just hook the wires from the sensors together and bypass them. I had an old one I used that way. I think only one side of it was live, and the other was just the beam. Hooked the two wires together. So am I to understand that you want to keep the remote to trip the motor? If so, I'm not sure pulling electronics out is the place to start.

joneslights
10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
On most older garage door openers you can just hook the wires from the sensors together and bypass them. I had an old one I used that way. I think only one side of it was live, and the other was just the beam. Hooked the two wires together. So am I to understand that you want to keep the remote to trip the motor? If so, I'm not sure pulling electronics out is the place to start.

It was made in 1994, I've tried connecting the wires and it just starts "down" and returns straight back "up" We are going to use it on a trail that we drive a gator on so yes the remote would be nice, but I think this model is not going to permit that.

My thought was to use a "pressure" switch on the trail, we run over one switch the skeleton goes up, then hit the other and it goes back down.