PDA

View Full Version : Vixen 3 to LOR controller

thearnolds5
11-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Hi all! I'm totally new to all of this and am a bit frustrated. I'm using Vixen 3.3u1 to a 1e.31 network adapter and an LOR CTB32LD controller. I can't get them communicating. I have the 1e.31 port 1 configured to universe 1 for dmx and the controller plugged into port 1. The controller is set for universe 1 and it continues to display "no connection". What do I have wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

deonb
11-22-2016, 06:57 PM
What do you mean by a:

1e.31 network adapter?

(Can you send a link to where you got it from / what it is).

thearnolds5
11-22-2016, 07:39 PM
It's the 1e.31 diyledexpress board.

thearnolds5
11-22-2016, 07:42 PM
www.diyledexpress.com it's a network bridge.

thearnolds5
11-23-2016, 07:36 PM
Denb: any thoughts?

thearnolds5
11-23-2016, 07:36 PM
Denb: any thoughts?

Sorry that should be deonb

deonb
11-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Problem is I've never worked with that E1.31 bridge so no real ideas.

However, if your red LED on the LOR controller isn't going solid this seems like a cabling issue since you don't need much of a coherent signal to turn that thing red.

Did you do a cable similar to this one?

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?40867-E682-to-LOR-pinout-(DMX)

thearnolds5
11-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Yeah I'm using a 568-B cable. I thought maybe I had an bad cable so I used another and I get the same thus. All I get is a flashing green light and the display says no connection. Hmmmm

jchuchla
11-23-2016, 10:28 PM
here's a quote from the bridge's instructions:

You can use the bridge to drive LOR controllers capable of supporting DMX as well. The simplest method is to configure the software protocol for DMX and use the REN output jumper settings. You will be required build a jumper cable to swap pins 4 and 5 between the two ends of the jumper because LOR has these signals swapped. You may also want to connect pin 6 from the LOR to pins 1 or 2 if using the REN output.

so if you're using a standard Ethernet cable, it's not going to work. you need to build a custom cable with pins 4 and 5 swapped.

BTW, I think this weird LOR pinout is a remnant of their early days where they used flat telephone cable to connect their controllers.

TazChaLet
11-23-2016, 10:33 PM
yeap Jon is right you have to make a cable renard and lor have wires reversed and if I remember too get my friends lors too run off vixen I had too set something in his board cant tell you off top of head

thearnolds5
11-23-2016, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try this and see if it works. Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

thearnolds5
11-27-2016, 07:40 PM
I got my LOR controller connected to my e1.31 bridge from diyledexpress. Unfortunately I can get the outputs to turn on. I'm using Vixen 3.3 I have the controller, which is just a standard 16 channel 120v controller for string lights. I have it configured as a streaming ACN e1.31 universe 1 starting on address1. The destination is set to unicast on my network.

jchuchla
11-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Are you getting packets received on the bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thearnolds5
11-27-2016, 08:28 PM
No I'm not

jchuchla
11-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Then you need to check your addressing and the network itself.
Is the universe active in vixen? (Checked)
Is the controller active (no red ball)
Is the network address valid for your network?

thearnolds5
11-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Then you need to check your addressing and the network itself.
Is the universe active in vixen? (Checked)
Is the controller active (no red ball)
Is the network address valid for your network?

The universe is checked on in vixen
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161128/929e8ed387170ab9c452c150e2f6486b.jpg

The controller led is solid green.

The network address is valid.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161128/e031e21ee7e45c758e22f1160e14a392.jpg

When I put the test mode into all red the first channel will turn on.

When I put the test mode into all green the second channel will turn on.

I don't see what I'm doing wrong???

jchuchla
11-28-2016, 12:36 AM
Data is not getting from vixen to the controller.
Your vixen output controller config shows you sending unicast to a named destination of "Arnold Christmas". Given your experience level I'm doubting you have a DNS server set up on your network with an A record mapping Arnold Christmas to 192.168.1.206. So that config would likely not work because vixen has no way of finding out the IP address for that host name. Most people don't set up DNS for controllers. It adds complexity for little benefit. You should probably use the IP address and not the host name when setting up the unicast destination.

jchuchla
11-28-2016, 12:37 AM
By the way, if you just left it at the multicast default, you wouldn't have needed to worry about this setting at all.

thearnolds5
11-28-2016, 05:52 PM
By the way, if you just left it at the multicast default, you wouldn't have needed to worry about this setting at all.

I changed back to multicast on the bridge and Vixen and initially it still didn't work. I then plugged my laptop into the router with a language cable and everything started working. I would have thought there would be no difference between wired and WiFi.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

jchuchla
11-28-2016, 06:08 PM
I changed back to multicast on the bridge and Vixen and initially it still didn't work. I then plugged my laptop into the router with a language cable and everything started working. I would have thought there would be no difference between wired and WiFi.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

well...technically there isn't. At least not in this regard. It should have gotten thru. I multicast from my laptop to my wired controllers all the time for testing. and except for some glitches due to traffic or bandwidth limitations, it just works. But sometimes home routers put artificial restrictions or limitations in the interest of security or "improved experience". And sometimes multicast doesn't pass thru routers properly or is just plain broken on some routers. And most people would never know it because there isn't much use of multicast in home networks.