PDA

View Full Version : HinksPix16 - Beta Release of NEW 16 port Pixel Controller

JHinkle
11-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Beta boards are now available at HolidayCoro - link below.

HinksPix16 is a full featured 16 port pixel controller:

The controller will support up to 6 Universes per output port - that's 1024 pixels per port or 16,384 pixels with maximum configuration (49,152 channels).

Each port will support a different string protocol (exception: when using TLS3001 - 4 ports must be dedicated to this string type).

Each port will support segmenting the associated string into 9 segments where each segment can identify a different configuration of: NULL pixels, RGB color selection, Zig-Zag, Brightness, and Gamma.

The following Pixel String types are currently supported (Note: If you use a string not identified below - PM me about sending me a string and it will be returned once I have added it to the controller's capability).

WS2811
WS2812
WS2812B
WS2801
TLS3001
APA102

The HinPix16 supports TWO Ethernet Jacks for daisy chaining your CAT5 network cable from controller to controller (no need to use an external switch)

The HinksPix16 has wireless capability to be used for configuration and control (the initial software release does NOT utilize this capability but will be enabled shortly)

The HixksPix16 has an on-board SD card and Audio processor which will be used as a Stand-Alone Sequence Player in the future (capability not enabled this release and may require an additional cost in the future to utilize)

The HinksPix16 supports one RS485 port. This supports 1 full Universe or 512 channels. (update - 11/21/16/ -- will be included in initial release)

The HinksPix16 supports one external Trigger input. The Trigger input can be configured to send a UDP message upon being activated (the initial software release does NOT utilize this capability but will be enabled shortly)

The controller has been bench tested driving WS2811 and TLS3001 stings up to it's maximum capability of 96 Universes.

The controller is configured via an internal Web Server that can be accessed from a Browser on a desktop computer or tablet.

Software is automatically updated via the Internet when new versions are released. No external hardware required.

The Pre-Production HinksPix16 sells for $189.99 (149.99 after refund - see below). Product ships as of November 21, 2016.

This Beta - Pre-Production - release will provide a $40 refund if the board is purchased, used/tested in a real-life implementation, and a detailed feedback form is filled out and submitted to HolidayCoro by Dec 31, 2016. We are asking for your feedback and working with us to discover any software issues that have not been identified in development.

This Pre-Production release of the HinksPix16 does not have the OLED display or CPU board secured down with screws. The production board will.

I will be posting a video on how the controller is configured later today.

Customer support for this Beta release is via HolidayCoro - your incoming phone call will be directed to me.

I welcome any comments you would like to share.

Joe

http://www.holidaycoro.com/HinksPix-16-Beta-Controller-p/615-pre1.htm

Video - How to Configure the HinksPix16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxtaMj5MEEE

Technical Overview of the HinksPix16 board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHdK297YZeA&feature=youtu.be

DrNeutron
11-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Congratulations on the Board Joe! Looks like a winner!
Love the naming!
:biggrin:

toozie21
11-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Congrats, i hope it is a great success for you!

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

TazChaLet
11-16-2016, 12:47 PM
looking at features you are going too get implemented a lot of people will like these features

rstehle
11-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Wow, that's a lot of features. What features will the F16-V3 have ........LOL :biggrin2:

TazChaLet
11-16-2016, 01:25 PM
:huh: :sad: :ohmy: :rolleyes:
Wow, that's a lot of features. What features will the F16-V3 have ........LOL :biggrin2:

angus40
11-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Congratulations Joe . Your controller will compliment your Sequencer .

With your controllers stand alone feature and your HLS sequencer , you have created a excellent complete package .

Your endless support with HLS further accredits your controller .

I am looking forward to replacing all my San Devices with the Hinkspix controllers .

Thank you for continuing to advance lighting control .

JHinkle
11-16-2016, 06:38 PM
I've added a Training Video - see post #1

Joe

HeyRay2
11-16-2016, 06:40 PM
I'm just getting started in LED / RGB decorating this year and was eyeing the Falcon F16v2 and this looks like it going to be an even more feature-filled controller than that!

Even though this is a beta product, would you recommend this for a first-timer? I'm a tinkerer and pretty comfortable around electronics projects.

JHinkle
11-16-2016, 07:02 PM
The Falcon is a very good controller, I would recommend it highly.

My Beta board - released as of today - provides the same capabilities as the Falcon.

My board is designed and has the associated hardware to support additional capabilities which I have NOT engaged because I want to lock down and fully field test the basic "Pixel Controls" first -- we are late in the season.

Much of the software associated with the additional features has already been written and tested -- again -- I am just releasing the "Pixel Control" capability so the board can be evaluated and compared to other controllers.

This board is NOT designed, nor will it be released, as a board that needs to be assembled. It comes fully assembled and ready to use. Software updates are automatic. One of its design objectives was ease of use.

Whether you choose the Falcon or this board, either board is very good for a first time user getting into this hobby.

Joe

Phrog30
11-16-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm just getting started in LED / RGB decorating this year and was eyeing the Falcon F16v2 and this looks like it going to be an even more feature-filled controller than that!

Even though this is a beta product, would you recommend this for a first-timer? I'm a tinkerer and pretty comfortable around electronics projects.
I would recommend the falcon. One, it's proven. Two, Dave Pitts is phenomenal. He will bend over backwards for you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

HeyRay2
11-16-2016, 07:39 PM
I would recommend the falcon. One, it's proven. Two, Dave Pitts is phenomenal. He will bend over backwards for you.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the Falcon quite a bit and have spoken with Dave few times on the phone. He's already trying to source a controller for me since he's out of stock due to how close to the holidays we are (I started looking into doing this WAY TOO LATE in the season!), so I most likely will go with the Falcon controller.

I do want to have a backup controller and maybe something to tinker with, and the HinksPix16 sounds like it might be a good way to go.

Phrog30
11-16-2016, 07:42 PM
I believe I have a falcon that's not being used. It is a new one. If all fails, I might be able to sell it.

If you want something to tinker with, check out advatek and the pixlite 4. They are relatively cheap and readily available.

DrNeutron
11-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Well, I can vouch for Joe giving phenomenal support as well. I had pestered him quite a bit with HLS about added features and he always came through in spades.
He once called me and we spent probably an hour on the phone just so he could fully understand the issue I was having so he could fix it in HLS.
I would have no reservation buying one of his boards and probably will next year when I expand my show.
It's a great time to be in the Hobby, there are so many fantastic options for pixel control and it seems to be getting better and better.
I don't see how you could go wrong with either option, but asking what controller to get on Nov 16th will be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get a show together.
Good Luck!

HeyRay2
The Falcon is a very good controller, I would recommend it highly.

My Beta board - released as of today - provides the same capabilities as the Falcon.

My board is designed and has the associated hardware to support additional capabilities which I have NOT engaged because I want to lock down and fully field test the basic "Pixel Controls" first -- we are late in the season.

Much of the software associated with the additional features has already been written and tested -- again -- I am just releasing the "Pixel Control" capability so the board can be evaluated and compared to other controllers.

This board is NOT designed, nor will it be released, as a board that needs to be assembled. It comes fully assembled and ready to use. Software updates are automatic. One of its design objectives was ease of use.

Whether you choose the Falcon or this board, either board is very good for a first time user getting into this hobby.

Joe

Thanks for the response. I am definitely considering the Falcon but may not be able to get one this late in the season, so I'm looking for alternatives like the PixLite 16 MkII or AlphaPix 16 v3, and the HinkPix16 seems to fall right into the area for consideratio. I don't want to derail this thread with more talk of my research and lighting plans, so I'll stop here and make a new thread to discuss further :biggrin:.

In regards to this beta controller, I see that the OLED and CPU boards are not secured down with screws. Will you be providing any type of "trade-up" offer for those who have beta controllers and want to get a production board that has these items fully secured down?

TazChaLet
you might also look at the alphapix controller from Holiday coro I run 1 and also have 4 others at a friends I program for him find them easy too use but they dont have all the bells and whistles the falcon of Joe's new board has

JHinkle
11-16-2016, 07:46 PM
In regards to this beta controller, I see that the OLED and CPU boards are not secured down with screws. Will you be providing any type of "trade-up" offer for those who have beta controllers and want to get a production board that has these items fully secured down?

There is no "trade-up" offer associated with this board.

The boards are quit secure as it is today. I want to make it bullet proof in the future -- hence the change to the board coming in 2017 to tie them down permanently.

Joe

HeyRay2
11-16-2016, 08:00 PM
There is no "trade-up" offer associated with this board.

The boards are quit secure as it is today. I want to make it bullet proof in the future -- hence the change to the board coming in 2017 to tie them down permanently.

Joe

Gotcha. I'm sure some hot glue or a big-ass zip tie will give beta users all the security they would need for these components.

I'm going to do a bit more research and then I think I just may snag one of these from you!

Nice work!

Barnabybear
11-16-2016, 08:05 PM

Hi, Joe has been around here for a few years. I know he has spent quite some time on this and done a lot of research, I’ve come across a few posts (in his name JHiknkle) on other forums chatting with some very knowledgeable people about various scenarios that I assume have been incorporated into this controller. He would be mad to realise this at this time of year if he wasn’t 100% happy it would deliver a show.
Should you buy one? The more relevant question is should you buy any controller with an expectation of having it running lights this year?
Time is running out, it depends on your expectations and the amount of time you have.

JHinkle
11-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Well, I can vouch for Joe giving phenomenal support as well. I had pestered him quite a bit with HLS about added features and he always came through in spades.
He once called me and we spent probably an hour on the phone just so he could fully understand the issue I was having so he could fix it in HLS.
I would have no reservation buying one of his boards and probably will next year when I expand my show.
It's a great time to be in the Hobby, there are so many fantastic options for pixel control and it seems to be getting better and better.
I don't see how you could go wrong with either option, but asking what controller to get on Nov 16th will be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get a show together.
Good Luck!

Thanks for your kind works Phil:

Anyone that would suggest they would not get top-of-the-line support from me -- does not know me or how I've supported my products in the past.

I can actually get into a pretzel position:)

Joe

dmoore
11-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Controller Photo:
http://www.holidaycoro.com/v/vspfiles/photos/615-PRE1-2.jpg

http://www.holidaycoro.com/v/vspfiles/photos/615-PRE1-4.jpg

http://www.holidaycoro.com/v/vspfiles/photos/615-PRE1-3.jpg

http://www.holidaycoro.com/v/vspfiles/photos/615-PRE1-5.jpg

Phrog30
11-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks for your kind works Phil:

Anyone that would suggest they would not get top-of-the-line support from me -- does not know me or how I've supported my products in the past.

I can actually get into a pretzel position:)

Joe
Will you be supporting this product directly, or will customers have to go through HolidayCoro?

TazChaLet
11-16-2016, 09:42 PM
I have yet too have a problem with holiday coros customer service I had 1 string out of a group that had 1 pixel that didn't light red and they replaced them within a few days I run a alpha 4 here at my home and my friend has 4 or 5 (alpha16 & 4s boards) at his house I program them for him and they all work great he had 1 board which I think it was something he did that made board not respond but Holiday coro took care of him in a timely manner but I know not all people have the same customer service from a company but in my dealings with them I have had no problems.

JHinkle
11-16-2016, 10:34 PM
Will you be supporting this product directly, or will customers have to go through HolidayCoro?

HolidayCore is the phone number you call.

Press option 5 and your call gets directed to my cell phone.

Joe

Phrog30
11-16-2016, 10:46 PM

Joe
That's cool!

JHinkle
11-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Here is a technical overview of the board.

Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHdK297YZeA&feature=youtu.be

Skunberg
11-17-2016, 08:37 PM

Joe
Thank you Joe. I'm sure this will put a lot of minds at ease. Yes, lot's of people have had Holiday Coro issue's but I think that's getting better not worse. But to know your directly supporting this is great. For those that don't remember Joe's software development, people would ask if it does this or that and the next day he would have a update to include that feature. It was amazing to watch. Vixen 3 puts out a release twice a year, Xlights was putting out weekly updates and Joe was cranking them out almost daily. So if anyone is on the fence about support with Joe, you can come down now :-)

dmoore
11-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Thank you Joe. I'm sure this will put a lot of minds at ease. Yes, lot's of people have had Holiday Coro issue's but I think that's getting better not worse. But to know your directly supporting this is great. For those that don't remember Joe's software development, people would ask if it does this or that and the next day he would have a update to include that feature. It was amazing to watch. Vixen 3 puts out a release twice a year, Xlights was putting out weekly updates and Joe was cranking them out almost daily. So if anyone is on the fence about support with Joe, you can come down now :-)

Joe has done some amazing work with this project having put in a years worth of time in just 6 months to bring this controller to fruition. I am totally impressed with the work that Joe has done and the level of quality he has put into this project.

This controller in it's current iteration is but a sliver of the functionality that is already mapped out for the next year. This controller is not intended to challenge any of the controllers on the market today, it is designed to tap a completely different market than exists today.

dmoore
11-17-2016, 09:32 PM
We have lowered the price to a jaw dropping $149.99 (after feedback is provided) now through November 20th or until sold out. There is NO other controller that has this hardware at this price. Shipping is only $6.24.

JHinkle
11-17-2016, 09:40 PM

Thanks for your kind words.

Joe

Not My Monkeys
11-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Ordered, i will put it out asap and give feedback., couldnt pass up 149.

stenersonj
11-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Joe, I just ordered one. Looks great, cannot wait to get it and work with it.

JHinkle
11-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Jon:

You were my first with HLS and now the first again.

Thanks.

Joe

HeyRay2
11-18-2016, 12:01 AM
Well, it's official. My first ever controller is a HinksPix16!

I can't wait for it to be delivered and to start tinkering with my lighting!

Thanks for the hard work to make a great board and for the great deal! I'll definitely be providing a lot of feedback on my experiences with it!

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 12:06 AM
Thanks for trusting and trying.

Joe

Skunberg
11-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your kind words.

Joe
You deserve it. Some comments may have steered people away that shouldn't. Your a stand up guy and have proved it time and again. I wish I could invest in one but it's too late for me.

ccrowder
11-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Was looking around for another controller and glad I found this thread! Looking forward to getting mine and running it through its paces (well as limited as my paces are with only around 400 pixels =p)

Wolfie
11-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Couple harsh realities buried in the details that didn't get posted here (for obvious reasons I am guessing).

Sure it supports 96 universes. If you only want 10fps. 100ms refresh? Rofl.

And a working temp of only -4f? There are days when it doesn't get that warm around here in the winter. Guess northern climates need not apply.

TazChaLet
11-18-2016, 04:28 PM
I know that people have had problems with low temp for yrs with all the controllers they have got around that by adding a ican inthe box too help warm things up and power the board before hand and letting it warm up
Couple harsh realities buried in the details that didn't get posted here (for obvious reasons I am guessing).

And a working temp of only -4f? There are days when it doesn't get that warm around here in the winter. Guess northern climates need not apply.

angus40
11-18-2016, 04:30 PM

Of what benefit is this post ?

Phrog30
11-18-2016, 04:32 PM
What's wrong with it? He's pointing out something that others might not notice.

Barnabybear
11-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Hi, Wolfie. Thats a bit harsh.

As far as I can tell given the data rate of the common pixels (800Khz), it's the type and quantity of pixels that set the maximum refresh rate not the controller, this would apply to any 16 port controller. With new pixels like the APA102C having a data rates of upto 32Mhz, it will be interesting to see what refresh rates can be achieved.

If quoted correctly, that is the manufacturers lowest recomended temperature of any component on the board, if I had to place a bet it will be the OLED display and unlikley to affect the pixles.

Wolfie
11-18-2016, 04:43 PM

Just pointing out some things that unless you actually read the specs, you may not be aware of.

If you simply read what was posted here you just might think "Hey, I can slap 96 universes on it and go!" Yea, you can. but you don't get to sequence at anything faster than a stuttering 10fps if you do. Starting xLights sequence, you get the 10fps, 20fps and 40fps option for timing. The point is its not usable other than 10fps if you take the max pixel count at face value for channel/max universes.

And the -4f limit is also of concern to many people in northern climates, especially those of us who may do New Years Eve shows. Those further north than I am may even see those temps in December.

Both are valid points and data not posted here. Take it at that.

Wolfie
11-18-2016, 04:48 PM

As far as I can tell given the data rate of the common pixels (800Khz), it's the type and quantity of pixels that set the maximum refresh rate not the controller, this would apply to any 16 port controller. With new pixels like the dot star having a data rates of upto 32Mhz, it will be interesting to see what refresh rates can be achieved.

If quoted correctly, that is the manufacturers lowest recomended temperature of any component on the board, if I had to place a bet it will be the OLED display and unlikley to affect the pixles.

Its quoted correctly:

Physical

Operating Temperatures - Negative 4f (-20c) to 158f (+70c)

I like the idea of the previously mentioned incan in the box. What sorts of wattages/types to people use? C7? C9? Edisons? While I have not experienced any issues I can attribute to cold, its good to have another piece of info in your kit in case it does happen.

angus40
11-18-2016, 04:50 PM
What's wrong with it? He's pointing out something that others might not notice.

I do not see anything use full pointed out in there .

The board is advertised as a beta release so nothing is buried or not disclosed .

I live in the North and plan to torture test one of the HinksPix16 controllers .

http://i65.tinypic.com/xpmxs0.jpg

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 04:56 PM

Not quite sure why the ugly intended comments.

No harsh realities hidden.

If you are speaking of the the specifications on the HolidayCoro web then:

#1 - the -4F is an error. I used the AlphaPix as a template and did not even look or check the temperature specifications. The AlphPix had a -4F temp spec because it used an LCD display. The HinksPix16 uses an OLED which is usually spec'd at -40F.

#2 - I posted the refresh rate at which the controller would deliver lock-sync delivery of data. For 96 Universes, the HinksPix16 can perform a complete cycle in 73 milliseconds.

I decided to release the board on the DIY site because of the technical people that utilize the site. I doubted any one on this site would even consider attempting a full 96 universes. It's just plain physics - pumping data takes time.

The HinksPix16 meets the same timing specification of any other controller on the market - even the Falcon.

When you go beyond what the other controllers specify (maximum of 64 universes) - and move into 96 universes -- timing changes.

If I was hiding something, as you so kindly suggest, I would never have posted timing.

As a matter of fact, I believe I'm the ONLY one that does specify timing.

Not sure if you're having a bad day but I hope it gets better for you.

Thanks for your comments. I'll have David correct the temperature specification to reflect the OLED - not his LCD.

Joe

Wolfie
11-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I do not see anything use full pointed out in there .

The board is advertised as a beta release so nothing is buried or not disclosed .

I live in the North and plan to torture test one of the HinksPix16 controllers .

http://i65.tinypic.com/xpmxs0.jpg

What pole are you using? Does that show up when the tree is lit? I used black iron last year. ASAP this year but painted the pole black.

angus40
11-18-2016, 04:59 PM
I sleeved my pole with The cores from window tint . I put pixels inside :)

ccrowder
11-18-2016, 05:07 PM
I would like to also say I have never seen anyone specify the limits of their controller in regards to how many universes there are. The fact that JHinkle specifies them shows just how up front he is with what the board can do. I would never have known otherwise.

Wolfie
11-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks Joe for clearing up the temp issue. -40f is a better figure and something thats inline with most other controllers! I am glad the mistake was found and can be corrected and was simply a web text issue. As I said, -4f would have been an issue in the northern climates. -40f. I pray it don't get that cold here! We have seen well into double digit negatives and in the negative teens frequently.

LCDs due to their nature are not cold weather friendly.

Anyway, -40f should cover the bulk of the lower 48 with reasonable ease. The maple leafers might push that.

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 05:11 PM

As far as I can tell given the data rate of the common pixels (800Khz), it's the type and quantity of pixels that set the maximum refresh rate not the controller, this would apply to any 16 port controller. With new pixels like the APA102C having a data rates of upto 32Mhz, it will be interesting to see what refresh rates can be achieved.

Very good technical insight Mr. Barnabybear.

My timing specs ARE based on 800KHZ clocking rates.

Until I got field validated, I did not want to go for faster rates.

The HinksPix16 uses the same type of technology used in an FPGA to provide data clocking. I can clock at 2 or 3 times the 800KHZ rate if needed but NOT for my initial release.

I just knew there were technical people on this site:)

Joe

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 05:44 PM
I thought I would share some of my technical data since timing associated with large pixel count has come up.

The first timing diagram shows the data being delivered to a TLS3001 string of 1024 pixels (controller wise - that's 96 universes).

At a clock rate of 800KHZ -- the complete data package is delivered in 22 milliseconds

I have three major areas that impact overall controller timing.

#1. Receiving the data from E131 packets and then developing the output data based on RGB orientation, Null pixels, Zig-Zag, Brightness control, and Gamma control (this turns out to be were the majority of time is consumed).
#2. Transferring output data from the top board to the bottom board --- this is SPI at 12MHZ. Second biggest since I use 1 SPI to deliver to 2 output devices. If I had a one-to-one on the SPIs -- that would reduce timing by 15 milliseconds.
#3. Actually clocking the data out to the pixels -- which you can see in timing one is about 22 milliseconds.

The second timing diagram shows the between board spi transfer (the negative going wave form) and the pixel data again. Not enough SPI ports available on the CPU. I use 2 SPIs to deliver data to 4 output devices. If the CPU had 2 more SPIs, THAT would significantly improve timing.

It takes more time to create the data (step 1) then it does to deliver it.

When and if the time comes where the market that uses my 96 universe capability requires locking to a 50 millisecond sequence rate, I'll just replace the processor (currently 120 MHZ with a 180 MHZ one and a $5.00 adder).

Just thought I'd share.

Joe

ccrowder
11-18-2016, 06:03 PM
So Joe.. if the data in requires no manupulation.. aka all strips set to basic rgb straight lines would that speed the process up?
Just thinking when the sequencer takes all that part into account and formats the e1.31 data accordingly. For instance I just set the strips to BGR in my sequencer and not on my controller and the software just formats the e1.31 data appropriately so the controller can assume it is RGB.

madsci1016
11-18-2016, 06:08 PM
I'll be the one to make the comparison to the F16 in regards to channels/pixels because the main headline of 96 Universes does feel a little deceiving to me since it 'sounds better' than the F16.

For those that don't know, the F16 and F4 run at 25ms timing. It's not changeable, it always runs at that speed. SO let's look at the HinksPix at that speed. At 25ms, it says it can do 32 universes. That's 340 pixels per port after you do the math.

At the same refresh rate, the F16 is pumping in 64 universes and 680 pixels per port. So Falcon beats Hinks by a factor of 2.

If you drop the hinks down to 50ms timing, then it's specs match the F16, 64 universes and 680ish per port. So now it's on par, but at a slower refresh rate.

So unless the specs are changed, the HinkPix is currently less capable (pixel driving wise) than the Falcon, not the other way round.

Now to be fair it sounds like the HinksPix will be more configurable that the Falcon. Assuming by the way these limits are worded "1,024 pixels per port", "64 universes total" I imagine you can dump 1024 pixels on a few ports an go light on the rest to stay under the global universe limits. That's cool. Is that correct JHinkle? That I like.

But as a embedded guy myself I love the differential expansion of the Falcon, I didn't buy one until they offered it. It doesn't appear the HinksPix will support such a feature, at least not this revision.

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Your "no manipulations" required takes the same times as one that does.

The CPU does not know that you have no manipulations so it has to check each portion of the segment build: Are you Grouping Pixels, RGB orientation, Null pixels, Zig-Zag, Brightness, Gamma. It only knows you have "no manipulations" only after it has checked each sub-part and by then its already done.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Phrog30
11-18-2016, 06:27 PM
I'll be the one to make the comparison to the F16 in regards to channels/pixels because the main headline of 96 Universes does feel a little deceiving to me since it 'sounds better' than the F16.

For those that don't know, the F16 and F4 run at 25ms timing. It's not changeable, it always runs at that speed. SO let's look at the HinksPix at that speed. At 25ms, it says it can do 32 universes. That's 340 pixels per port after you do the math.

At the same refresh rate, the F16 is pumping in 64 universes and 680 pixels per port. So Falcon beats Hinks by a factor of 2.

If you drop the hinks down to 50ms timing, then it's specs match the F16, 64 universes and 680ish per port. So now it's on par, but at a slower refresh rate.

So unless the specs are changed, the HinkPix is currently less capable (pixel driving wise) than the Falcon, not the other way round.

Now to be fair it sounds like the HinksPix will be more configurable that the Falcon. Assuming by the way these limits are worded "1,024 pixels per port", "64 universes total" I imagine you can dump 1024 pixels on a few ports an go light on the rest to stay under the global universe limits. That's cool. Is that correct JHinkle? That I like.

But as a embedded guy myself I love the differential expansion of the Falcon, I didn't buy one until they offered it. It doesn't appear the HinksPix will support such a feature, at least not this revision.

Here is another thread that discusses this as well.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?43087-Pixel-Controller-Thread&p=434256#post434256

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 07:18 PM

You are comparing two different specifications - apples and oranges.

I can output all day long at 40HZ also. Your can see the 22 millisecond timing above.

What I attempted to specify for the people that use this board is what they can expect timing wise from reception of a group of E131 data packets to the display of that same data.

If we look at the Falcon's data path, it has to acquire the packets from the Wiznet module (SPI most likely - time spent) , it has to build the output data based on all of the "virtual string" criteria - time spent, then it has to transfer the data to the FPGA (SPI most likely - time spent) then it is pumped out to the pixels - time spent.

The timing I specified is about the complete data path timing, not just the last output stage.

I'm not trying to get into a specification comparison - just pointing out we are taking about apples and oranges.

The whole reason I even published my timing specs is to help people understand what the controller is doing.

Over the last 6 years, I have heard people state that their lighting seems a bit off compared to the music they timed it to.

Most think that the lights are going to have the exact timing they designed into their sequence. They don't understand that the controller may be lagging their data by multiple time tics.

My intent was .... . if you are running 32 universes and your sequence is designed for 25 milliseconds, then this controller can and will display lights in that same time period. When you start adding more pixels to your display, more pixels, more data, more time. When you are at 64 universes, my total process time - from acquisition of the data to displaying it on the pixels - is 48 milliseconds. That means I'm in lock-step with a 50 millisecond sequence but I'm skipping data if the sequence was designed for 25 milliseconds.

My intent is to educate the users of pixels and have them understand how the controller can impact their show.

Recently, a fellow DIY'er showed me a matrix being driven by a pixel controller. It was a LARGE matrix that contained many pixels. His test pattern was a walking chase across the screen which he designed at a sequence tic rate of 25 milliseconds. He was very unhappy because the display moved in a very "choppy" fashion. The controller was causing the issue. Wrong controller for what he wanted to do. The controller's complete data path (not just the output refresh rate) was way too slow and the choppiness was from not being able to stay in lock-step with the data stream.

My intent with the HinksPix16 is to specify performance criteria that can aid the user in picking the proper tool for the situation.

Refresh rate is only one part of the data path specification.

I hope that explains the timing I've specified for my product.

Thanks for you comments.

Joe

dpitts
11-18-2016, 07:31 PM
You are comparing two different specifications - apples and oranges.

I can output all day long at 40HZ also. Your see the 22 millisecond timing above.

If we look at the Falcon's data path, it has to acquire the packets from the Wiznet module (SPI most likely - time spent) , it has to build the output data based on all of the "virtual string" criteria - time spent, then it has to transfer the data to the FPGA (SPI most likely - time spent) then it is pumped out to the pixels - time spent.

Joe

Actually, no. The Ethernet board on the Falcon controllers is not a Wiznet. It is just a simple PHY board. The Ethernet MAC and data reception is done in the processor. The PHY board was developed by FalconChristmas specifically for the Falcon controller. The refresh rate on the Falcon is 25ms for 680 pixels which means the pixels are updated 40 times a second which can be beneficial if you have fast moving sequences. That is 25 ms on the reception, processing and output. The whole data path.

madsci1016
11-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Joe,

I believe you misread my post as I wasn't talking about or comparing latency at all, but pixel/channel counts. You list channel counts as a function of refresh rate, so I was comparing 2 controllers when configured for a identical refresh rate.

At 25ms, it says it can do 32 universes. That's 340 pixels per port after you do the math.

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks -- I misused the word "refresh"

Again, my objective with the board's specification, is to convey timing associated from data reception to data displayed.

I'll watch my use of the term "refresh" in the future as it has different means when used in different contex.

Thanks for your comment.

Joe

madsci1016
11-18-2016, 07:48 PM
I had a serious question embedded in there too.

Assuming by the way these limits are worded "1,024 pixels per port", "64 universes total" I imagine you can dump 1024 pixels on a few ports an go light on the rest to stay under the global universe limits. That's cool. Is that correct JHinkle? That I like.

Barnabybear
11-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Hi, before this gets silly - can we all agree that most of the currently available pixel controllers can outperform anything that the average user will expect from a controller?
Personally I'm of the opinion that one universe per output (unless you need to do a long roof line) is about all you really ought to be using anyway, above that the risks of a bad pixel taking out large areas of your show increases.
I have a motto: Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

JHinkle
11-18-2016, 07:59 PM
I believe the answer is YES.

The design criteria I used is to sync with the incoming data packets, not set a fixed "refresh" rate for the pixels and then just overlay data onto the output stream as it comes available.

Internally I have a 25 millisec task that locks to the incoming E131 packets. The task acquires all the data, builds the output stream and then transfers the output steam down to the 4 output devices.

A port or two of 1024 pixels should not have a major performance hit --- timing will change slightly with and without the 1024 pixels.

Hope that answered you question.

Joe

angus40
11-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Hi, before this gets silly - can we all agree that most of the currently available pixel controllers can outperform anything that the average user will expect from a controller?
Personally I'm of the opinion that one universe per output (unless you need to do a long roof line) is about all you really ought to be using anyway, above that the risks of a bad pixel taking out large areas of your show increases.
I have a motto: Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

I would like to agree with you 100% , but can only muster 75% . I am testing/pushing the San Devices e682 controller near it's capacity with ws 2812b pixels
and it would appear that it is not capable of meeting user expectations of 1 universe /port competently .

I hope Jim is quietly working on improvements , though lack of forum activity may indicate the contrary .

Knowing that the e682 is not currently completely capable , I can't with a clear conscience even sell them .

Fortunately the Hinks16 controller has come along to save the day in my case and will certainly meet user expectations .

TazChaLet
11-18-2016, 11:05 PM
from what I understand the 682 cant do 1 universe per port only 2040 pixels per board
click to enlarge too read

I would like to agree with you 100% , but can only muster 75% . I am testing/pushing the San Devices e682 controller near it's capacity with ws 2812b pixels
and it would appear that it is not capable of meeting user expectations of 1 universe /port competently .

I hope Jim is quietly working on improvements , though lack of forum activity may indicate the contrary .

Knowing that the e682 is not currently completely capable , I can't with a clear conscience even sell them .

Fortunately the Hinks16 controller has come along to save the day in my case and will certainly meet user expectations .

angus40
11-18-2016, 11:20 PM
The e682 is limited to a total of 12 universes . This does not mean that it will drive the 12 universes competently and that is the issue I am experiencing .

That said , it is a 16 port controller without full 16 universe support and this is known .

JHinkle
11-19-2016, 01:33 PM
I want to thank everyone for their comments yesterday.

I just want to reiterate ...

The e682 is a great board!

The Falcon is a great board!

Once my board has had some field experience, I feel it will be a great board.

I don't see any of the three boards mentioned above as direct competitors.

Each board has different capabilities and can be used to solve different needs/wants.

When you build a house, you choose the hammer that fits your needs at the time.

Think of Pixel Controllers as you would a hammer.

Joe

arw01
11-20-2016, 04:06 AM
Since the beta boards here do not have an OLED, will that be coming for early adopters or will they never have one?

JHinkle
11-20-2016, 10:08 AM
They have OLED displays now.

The comment of an LCD was about a specification of temperature for LCD - not OLED.

OLED displays are nice -- they still work when in the cold.

Joe

arw01
11-20-2016, 12:13 PM
They have OLED displays now.

The comment of an LCD was about a specification of temperature for LCD - not OLED.

OLED displays are nice -- they still work when in the cold.

Joe

Ah, I read this as in the OLED was not there and BTW their is nothing holding stuff down as an aside:

This Pre-Production release of the HinksPix16 does not have the OLED display or CPU board secured down with screws. The production board will.

How would be secure this?

JHinkle
11-20-2016, 12:26 PM
The CPU board and OLED Display are held in place by their connectors.

The are quite secure now.

The reason I did not screw them down was because I wanted easy access to the parts below them.

In the future, easy access to the parts below them will not be a criteria -- so I can screw them down which is obliviously more secure.

Joe

Not My Monkeys
11-20-2016, 03:14 PM
1 day till shipping! What shipping method will these go out as? Wondering if Ill have it in time to tinker next weekend

JHinkle
11-20-2016, 07:41 PM
If you've purchased one of my boards - PM me and I will provide you with my cell phone number so you don't have to go thru HolidayCoro.

I just ask that you keep it private -- but use it all you need pertaining to my board.

Thanks.

Joe

JHinkle
11-21-2016, 12:28 PM
I apologize to those who purchased the board with the expectation of it shipping 11/21.

I programmed all the boards and shipped them to HolidayCoro for sales and shipping.

Both David and myself expected the boxes to arrive today so that order could be filled by EOB.

I just checked UPS tracking and they NOW have delivery scheduled for Wed - 11/23.

I'm sorry for the delay - I suspect it is associated with Thanksgiving traffic.

Joe

ccrowder
11-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the update. So likely won't leave Holidaycoro until Friday I assume?

JHinkle
11-21-2016, 03:03 PM
I just updated Post #1 to identify that RS485 capability will be included in the initial release.

I just released the software -- the boards will auto-update when started.

Joe

JHinkle
11-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the update. So likely won't leave Holidaycoro until Friday I assume?

I just got a text from David at HolidayCoro.

Boards will ship Friday.

I'm sorry for the delay.

Joe

HeyRay2
11-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Did the boards end up shipping today?

My order on HolidayCoro.com is still showing as "Processing: Backordered".

Not My Monkeys
11-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Order in my holidaycoro account still says processing.... not shipped

JHinkle
11-26-2016, 05:44 PM
I found an issue while testing over the Holiday.

Issue found, understood, and fixed.

Boards are shipping today!

Joe

dmoore
11-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Orders have now been shipped (excluding one that has a backordered item on the same order) and any future orders should ship the same day.

Order link:

HeyRay2
11-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Great work, Joe!

Looking forward to trying out this board!

ccrowder
11-27-2016, 01:05 AM
Hm.. My Holidaycoro order status still shows just as processing. Hope it actually got out. Looking forward to giving the controller a go.

SpyNinja
11-27-2016, 05:20 AM
Orders have now been shipped (excluding one that has a backordered item on the same order) and any future orders should ship the same day.

Order link:

The excluded backordered order is most likely in reference to my order, but all items are showing as in stock now, so hopefully it will ship this next week. Thank you so much for constantly keeping us updated.

angus40
11-27-2016, 10:10 AM
It's like opening the hood of a Maserati when you open the box these controllers come in , and once you look inside you see the quality of a Rolls-Royce !

:)

JHinkle
11-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Angus was my Early Tester. While everyone was preparing and enjoying Thanksgivings, Angus was spending 14 hours a day for 5 days with my board.

Issues were found and corrected so this first release should be good.

Thanks Rich for all your help.

One comment did come from Rich I will share.

Rich has been doing Pixels for many years now working with different controllers.

Rich stated my way of configuring the and preparing the board for use was different than other controllers - not bad - just different.

So, please - don't take your past experience with other controllers and assume mine will configure the same way - I appear to approach things differently.

Joe

angus40
11-27-2016, 06:09 PM
When Joe developed HLS and released it for free , he had been the first to permit easy control of large pixel elements with a single sequence channel known as the Pixel Plane .

Now that he has designed developed and in the process of retailing a lighting controller there is no doubt that a few firsts that have been implemented .

This is an amazing featured full controller with electronics engineering that is going to be in large part the future of this hobby .

I will not get into comparing with others as each controller has its place and usage .

One thing I will say is that I have a new respect for those rare few folks that design and produce these controllers and software's .

Truly amazing .
Thank you .

Not My Monkeys
11-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Got my tracking, long work week and 4 cities 2 countries and a red eye home, so won't get to set it up till next weekend, but hopefully it's worth he wait !

Livermore-Dad
11-27-2016, 09:11 PM
SNIPPED
Rich stated my way of configuring the and preparing the board for use was different than other controllers - not bad - just different.

So, please - don't take your past experience with other controllers and assume mine will configure the same way - I appear to approach things differently.

Joe

This is a true statement of HLS as well. Everything that everyone learned with vixen, LOR etc.etc.etc was totally thrown out the window when you started playing with HLS. Joe was always and has always been on top of issues with his software (which again was given for free). He has spent much time with numerous folks via chats, phone calls understanding the issues, fixing and or giving the user a friendly smack (stop doing it that way) :)

It's neat to see Joe is working on a controller, because honestly there is a small group (Less than 10) that are available 24 hours a day without making a dime to help someone with their hobby (across a few different groups (controllers/hardware/software)

I've not bought one, in fact I'm just reading it about it today. But I think if it's coming from Joe, it's going to pack a punch.

I do have San Device and Falcon equipment and it's quite possible I'll acquire one of these just because for everything Joe has done, it's kind of nice to attempt to give back to him in some way.

Nice job Joe, I wish the controller and you the best!! (I've not been around, so this may be coming from left field)

Tory

SpyNinja
11-29-2016, 03:35 PM
The excluded backordered order is most likely in reference to my order, but all items are showing as in stock now, so hopefully it will ship this next week. Thank you so much for constantly keeping us updated.

I received my tracking number today, so I would think that all orders should have now been fulfilled.

markrvp
11-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Hey I have a question in all earnestness... I have two residential displays. I'm using Alphapix, Pixlite, and Falcon pixel controllers. For my purposes they are all doing the same thing which is making pixels come on and change colors. I have seen several references in this thread about how this new controller and the ones I have are all not competitors, but each have their own market. Can somebody explain what market each controller is supposed to be for? Am I not using my controllers the way they were intended?

JHinkle
11-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Hey I have a question in all earnestness... I have two residential displays. I'm using Alphapix, Pixlite, and Falcon pixel controllers. For my purposes they are all doing the same thing which is making pixels come on and change colors. I have seen several references in this thread about how this new controller and the ones I have are all not competitors, but each have their own market. Can somebody explain what market each controller is supposed to be for? Am I not using my controllers the way they were intended?

As pixel become more common place, you're going to see more Pixel controllers come onto the market that blink lights and maybe do a little more.

All the controllers you noted, mange pixels. The difference between them has to do with the number of simultaneous "Different" string types it can manage, the number of pixels it can manage, and the degree of latency involved in managing those pixels, etc.

The market pertains to the main audience the controller was designed for.

Controllers talked about on this site tend to be very technical in nature and not necessarily designed for the "Plug and Play - Just buy it and it works" audience.

I caused an up-rising when I stated that my controller would support 96 universes. Does it - YES. Is it an important specification for controller on this site - I don't think so - more of a specmanship statement. I think an individual using a pixel controller to manage Halloween or Christmas displays would be crazy to use 96 universes - way too much power injection required and putting too many eggs in one basket (controller goes down -- big part of show goes down).

So for me - THAT capability (96 universes is NOT for the people on this site but people that would use this controller quite differently).

So - the term Market - is what audience, and their purchases, end up being a major part of the sales associated with the controller.

I released my board here first "Because" of the technical nature of this site. I wanted feedback from technical individuals.

Does that mean my goal is to replace the other controllers on this site - NO.

Does it mean I expect purchases from this site to be the main volume of sales - NO.

My board will provide a mixture of capabilities and integration that other boards may not provide -- hence a market that I can support that others will not.

If all you're doing is blinking lights -- then all of the controllers on this site can do that.

Pick the tool for the job that best fits YOUR needs your wants, your needs, your price point, and your support expectation.

I hope that helps.

Joe

rstehle
11-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Very thoughtful and positive reply! Kudos!!

markrvp
11-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Thanks Joe! I certainly agree with you, I've tried to spread out controllers to balance the load and distance from controller to pixel. I think 96 universes is a lot to try and manage on one controller and I have not done that. I don't think I have more than 20 universes on any one controller.

I was pretty excited when I saw your controller. I will be curious to see if the scheduler portion to be added later will be specific to HLS, or if it will also play FSEQ files from xLights... hence my question about the market for this board. If it will also drive other controllers in the chain, then the ability to eliminate a computer/Raspberry Pi will be something to consider.

Thanks for all your efforts!

JHinkle
11-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks Joe!
I will be curious to see if the scheduler portion to be added later will be specific to HLS, or if it will also play FSEQ files from xLights... hence my question about the market for this board.

Thanks for all your efforts!

The board's capability will NOT be tied to HLS in any way.

If HLS was tied... THAT would be a major market limiting factor:sly:

Joe

HeyRay2
12-01-2016, 12:16 AM
Controller just arrived at the door!

Booted it up, it grabbed an IP, checked for a software update and was ready to go!

I've already got pixels running on it! Super easy!

I'll post further updates on my experiences over the next few days.

Nice work, Joe! Great board so far!

barbotte
12-01-2016, 01:22 PM
joe can this controller be daysy chain with other controller like the falcon v2 ? my plan would be to used yours wireless then daysy chain to a falcon ..would that be possible ? that would save my yard to look like a spider web .. ready to get 1 if it can be done
thanks

DrNeutron
12-01-2016, 01:54 PM
joe can this controller be daysy chain with other controller like the falcon v2 ? my plan would be to used yours wireless then daysy chain to a falcon ..would that be possible ? that would save my yard to look like a spider web .. ready to get 1 if it can be done
thanks

If I read the 1st post of the description of the boards capabilities, I believe wireless is strictly for control and configuration.

JHinkle
12-01-2016, 02:46 PM
thanks

I see no reason why other controllers can't be daisy chained using a "wired" network.

No daisy chaining via wireless - never.

I stated that wireless was for control and configuration. That's a fact because I don't like to make statements I can't support.

I am working on enabling the wireless capabilities of my board to run 16 universes wirelessly. I know I can do it -- what I don't know is the "range" of that capability.

Earlier this year I stated I was going to release a 4 port wireless controller. I had the board designed and software demonstrated feasibility -- I just did not know "range".

The 4 port designed evolved into the current HinksPix16.

So -- watch sometime in December for wireless to become available --- but I have no control over range -- which means -- it might work 10 feet, 100 ft, 500 ft - I can't specify that.

Again - daisy change "wired" controllers. No daisy chain wireless. Look for 16 ports - 16 universes wireless soon.

Joe

stenersonj
12-02-2016, 11:24 AM
I received my controller and I don't think it took me over 30 minutes to have it blinking pixels, and some of that time was wiring the pixels. It found an IP address immediately, upgraded the software automatically and was ready to go. I found configuration to be very straightforward. i then used the test mode in the configuration software and the lights worked. I had to change one set to BRG to get the colors correct and then all was good. I then did test mode in Xlights and the pixels were working. I love the display on the controller.

One thing I did discover is that my Microsoft Edge browser did not work correctly for entering config data. I switched to Chrome and it worked perfectly.

So far it appears to be a very good controller. Very easy to configure and get pixels working. You done good Joe.

Lowepg
12-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Love some of these features, not the least of which is "daisy-chain" networking.

When i converted my show from old LOR AC controllers (daisy-chained) to pixels, I found myself running a LOT of "parallel" cat6 because I like to use multiple controllers close to the elements (rather than 1 big 16 or 32 output controller).

So, Id LOVE to see a version for the more compact 4-output controllers too with this feature! :-)

JHinkle
12-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Thanks to two individuals that have acquired and tested my board, they helped identify an issue that I just fixed.

Make sure you start the board with a live Internet connection and your software will be updated.

Thanks.

Joe

ccrowder
12-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Joe,
Hooking mine up this week/weekend. Other then just going through the usually routine to control my pixels anything else that we can do to help test it?

JHinkle
12-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Just keep good notes on what you do so if you have an issue, I can reproduce it.

Thanks.

Joe

ccrowder
12-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Had a chance to get it plugged in and played around with it. Really easy to setup and I love the auto-update feature. Next step is to configure it behind the pi running fpp and give it a go in standalone mode.

ccrowder
12-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Joe just a question on the auto-update for future. I assume it is pretty safe to say that any auto-update should never effect the information stored already in terms of output/channel setups and configs? My only concern since it auto-updates whenever powered on that some future update may 'break' what we have setup. Doubt this would be the case but just wanted to check or suggest a way to turn off auto-update and make it user selectable.

JHinkle
12-12-2016, 08:05 PM
The Auto-Update is there for the non-technical user --- NOT the users on this site.

I will provide a means for suppressing Auto-Update in the future.

All your update info is saved to an EE device that is NOT touched with any software update except (separate EE). User info uses the same EE as Web Page data. The board has 2 EE devices.

Joe

JHinkle
12-12-2016, 11:40 PM
I just update new software and web pages.

SW fix -- if a E131 Translation universe was other than the same as the Index (index 1 - universe 1) --- if you had (index 1 - universe 80) -- the code got confused -- fixed SWV 17.
Correct way to specify that universe 80 is your FIRST universe is index 1 - universe 80.

Web Page Fix -- I had always intended that a Port Segment could have segments with different RGB options -- this one, WEB 6, has that implemented - the initial release would not let you have different RGB options for each segment.

I have added a unique timing protocol for WS2812B - that matches the specification insted of using the 2811 protocol.

Rich (agnus40) is having issues with his WS2812B -- I can't duplicate his issue. If you have a WS2812B string -- please run a test on it --- select WS2811 or WS2812 -- see how it works -- then select WS2812B and compare.

I'll personally will have a WS2812B string in January to test with -- until then I was hoping to clear my last issue by end of year if anyone could help.

Thanks.

Joe

ccrowder
12-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Joe,
When will we get the feedback form for Holidaycoro? So far completely love the board. Not doing anything taxing or complicated but really like how simple it is. Can't wait until I expand my pixels next year.

dmoore
12-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Joe,
When will we get the feedback form for Holidaycoro? So far completely love the board. Not doing anything taxing or complicated but really like how simple it is. Can't wait until I expand my pixels next year.

The feedback form will be out in a few days to all customers who have completed a purchase with refunds to follow.

While this controller will continue to be for sale until pre-production units are sold out, additional feedback discounts are no longer being offered on this controller.

Verrous
12-19-2016, 11:09 PM
While this controller will continue to be for sale until pre-production units are sold out, additional feedback discounts are no longer being offered on this controller.
Is this controller going to be replacing the alpha pix 16 for 2017?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not My Monkeys
12-20-2016, 02:00 PM
I'ma noob and confused on how to set up the e131 and port config.

16 ports, 1 510 universe per port, universe 38 through 53 - absolute addressing, wont let me save.

I want to put this out tonight controlling a 16w x 25h matrix, but cant get the config to save.

Error - Port COnfig Ending Channel Number Out of Range Port 1

Clearly its something i dont understand as I'm learning.

angus40
12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
I'ma noob and confused on how to set up the e131 and port config.

16 ports, 1 510 universe per port, universe 38 through 53 - absolute addressing, wont let me save.

I want to put this out tonight controlling a 16w x 25h matrix, but cant get the config to save.

Error - Port COnfig Ending Channel Number Out of Range Port 1

Clearly its something i dont understand as I'm learning.

Port 1 is telling you that its end channel is not correctly set .

Are you trying to enable 16 universes starting with universe #38 on port 1 and ending with universe #53 on port 16 ?

Have you followed the steps in Joe's video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxtaMj5MEEE

It sounds like your universe count may be contrary to your intent . 32 universes cannot compact into 16 and have the end channels set correctly .

Not My Monkeys
12-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Watched the video a few times, but i'm clearly missing the concept. Set up a sandevices and falcon with abosolute, but must be missing something here.

Yes, trying to do 15 ports, one 510 universe per port, port 1 on the controller starts at universe 38 in my current network / show set up.

I guess i'm missing the understanding of the translation to the port config, i thought if i put in the same each one i'd been good.

angus40
12-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Watched the video a few times, but i'm clearly missing the concept. Set up a sandevices and falcon with abosolute, but must be missing something here.

Yes, trying to do 15 ports, one 510 universe per port, port 1 on the controller starts at universe 38 in my current network / show set up.

I guess i'm missing the understanding of the translation to the port config, i thought if i put in the same each one i'd been good.

on the e1.31 page select universe count and assign your chosen universe #s to each port

on the port setup page all will work correctly for a setting of up to 170 pixels per port .

have your controller start channels set up sequential like follows

port 1) start>1 >end 510 < or will end at your pixel count selected setting
port 2)start>511>end 1020 ""
port 3)start>1021>end 1530""
port 4)start>1531>end 2040""
etc
etc .

vincehc
12-20-2016, 03:52 PM
on the e1.31 page select universe count and assign your chosen universe #s to each port

on the port setup page all will work correctly for a setting of up to 170 pixels per port .

have your controller start channels set up sequential like follows

port 1) start>1 >end 510 < or will end at your pixel count selected setting
port 2)start>511>end 1020 ""
port 3)start>1021>end 1530""
port 4)start>1531>end 2040""
etc
etc .
Call or pm Joe. I was one of the two users he mention with issues. We were able to figure out what was going on remotely. He's good to work with and can normal help solve the issues as long as you have Internet

angus40
12-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Note :

This controllers is still in testing and I am not certain of deploying it into a show is wise at this time other than maybe experimentally .

There is many obstacles related to this hobby with known working controllers .

Not My Monkeys
12-20-2016, 04:19 PM
Talked to Joe, and i think he straightened me out. Allowed me to save and test patterns work now.

We'll see if i can sequence something on it tonight.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted.

dmoore
12-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Is this controller going to be replacing the alpha pix 16 for 2017?

HolidayCoro will continue to sell the AlphaPix controllers as long as customers wish to continue purchasing them. There will be a pricing difference between the two classes of controllers as they are targeted at different markets.

Not My Monkeys
12-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Matrix is outside, all test patterns work, dropped it into xlights config, put the snowfall effect on it and.....

It works!

First matrix for a n00b like me :)

HeyRay2
12-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Will feedback forms be sent out soon? We're getting close to the end of the year and I've not yet seen one arrive in my email.

JHinkle
12-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Coming soon.

Joe

Not My Monkeys
12-29-2016, 05:24 PM
watching out for it in my email! Happy new years!

dmoore
01-01-2017, 04:34 PM
We have sent emails directly to all purchasers of the HinksPix pre-production controller that contain the link to the feedback form. If you did not receive this email, contact us at: hhttp://www.holidaycoro.com/Articles.asp?ID=272

For those that did not purchase the evaluation unit, we still have a few controllers remaining for purchase here: http://www.holidaycoro.com/HinksPix-16-Beta-Controller-p/615-pre1.htm

HeyRay2
01-01-2017, 07:57 PM
We have sent emails directly to all purchasers of the HinksPix pre-production controller that contain the link to the feedback form. If you did not receive this email, contact us at: hhttp://www.holidaycoro.com/Articles.asp?ID=272

For those that did not purchase the evaluation unit, we still have a few controllers remaining for purchase here: http://www.holidaycoro.com/HinksPix-16-Beta-Controller-p/615-pre1.htm

Thanks, email showed up in my inbox late last night! Filled out and returned!

Thanks and I'll look forward to the development on this board this year!

dmoore
01-04-2017, 11:51 AM
We have lowered the price of this pre-production controller to $149.99 and no review/feedback is necessary (but still welcome!). We have a limited number of these controllers at this price.

We'd like to thank our testers for their wonderful feedback and many of the improvements have already been coded and others are fort coming...

ccrowder
01-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Hopefully the feedback will help. Hard to get too much feedback when everything pretty much did what I wanted and was simple to setup. I was probably not by far the most challenging user with only 2811s and about 500 pixels but the board was a really nice quick plug & play replacement for the pixlite 4. Look forward to firmware improvements over time and expect next year I will push the board further since I plan to add a mega-tree.

angus40
02-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Thanks to Joe and the HinksPix16 controller my view of Ws 28** pixels has changed some what .

The Hinkspix16 has drastically improved performance and combined with

using light effects rather than layer rgb via Ae the color has a definite vibrant appearance comparatively .

Am now rather enjoying the Ws 2812b pixel type .

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6FV0emvlEo&feature=youtu.be

ccrowder
08-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Just curious with the new season approaching if any of the development is still on going with this board? Been very happy with it and hope to see some of the other features get enabled.

JHinkle
08-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Just curious with the new season approaching if any of the development is still on going with this board? Been very happy with it and hope to see some of the other features get enabled.

You will get an update by late September.

Just doing finishing touches.

Joe

dmoore
08-18-2017, 10:58 PM
You will get an update by late September.

Just doing finishing touches.

Joe

Joe isn't giving the EasyLights the value it deserves - Joe has crafted an amazing controller over the last nearly year and a half of hard work.

angus40
08-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Joe isn't giving the EasyLights the value it deserves - Joe has crafted an amazing controller over the last nearly year and a half of hard work.

EasyLights ?

HeyRay2
09-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Getting the HinksPix set up for my show this year and it appears that there is a little bit of an issue with adding virtual strings to Port 16. If I try to add more than one virtual string I receive an "Insert Broken" error:

All other ports allow more than 1 virtual string without issue.

Perhaps a fix for this can be included in the firmware you are planning to release soon?

Thanks in advance for the help and I'm looking forward to the new improvements in the upcoming firmware release!

JHinkle
09-06-2017, 09:53 PM
Getting the HinksPix set up for my show this year and it appears that there is a little bit of an issue with adding virtual strings to Port 16. If I try to add more than one virtual string I receive an "Insert Broken" error:

All other ports allow more than 1 virtual string without issue.

Perhaps a fix for this can be included in the firmware you are planning to release soon?

Thanks in advance for the help and I'm looking forward to the new improvements in the upcoming firmware release!

New software out in 2 weeks that will address for you.

I'm saying two weeks --- my home in the Keys is right where they are predicting Irma's eye to hit (I hope the simulations are wrong). The Keys are under mandatory evacuation right now. I will most likely be able to get back home late next week depending on drivability, water, power, gas, food, etc.

Joe

DrNeutron
09-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Stay safe Joe!
And that goes for anyone in the affected areas.
I've been watching the modelling and hoping for the best.

HeyRay2
09-07-2017, 12:57 AM
New software out in 2 weeks that will address for you.

I'm saying two weeks --- my home in the Keys is right where they are predicting Irma's eye to hit (I hope the simulations are wrong). The Keys are under mandatory evacuation right now. I will most likely be able to get back home late next week depending on drivability, water, power, gas, food, etc.

JoeThanks Joe!

Please worry first about staying safe and hopefully you'll get to go home soon!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ogie
09-14-2017, 11:01 PM
Hi Joe,

My 2 controllers are stock on the IP 192.168.1.201.
Tried to upgrade it from internet, leaved it overnight but failed.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

JHinkle
09-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Don't understand stuck on that IP address.
What do you mean by that?
Software update coming by month's end.

Joe

arw01
09-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Joe, what's the status of your house. The news shows it's near total destruction down there!

JHinkle
09-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Home owners will not be allowed into the lower Keys until power, water, gas, and hospitals are staffed.

I suspect 3 to 4 weeks.

All I have to date are satellite photos and video from a helicopter.

My house looks great from the two sides and roof that I can see -- I just put a new metal hurricane roof on last year -- so very glad I did that or my roof would have water damage like most that have asphalt singles.

My 22 ft Pro Cat ocean boat was on a lift. The boat is no longer there and I'm not sure where it is - so it's most likely in very bad shape.

I have an enclosure on the ground floor which I use as a storage garage -- most things in it will have been submerged in salt water and may no longer be usable.

Three freezers full of food that needs to be disposed of.

Found a loop-hole in insurance. If a house hold item can have a insurance policy against it then that item can not be included in your home-owners or flood insurance.

Everyone that has a lawnmower -- THAT is considered "Farm Equipment" and will not be covered in home-owners or flood since companies have "Farm Equipment" insurance policies available.

So my $200 Home Depot push gas powered lawnmower - most likely dead because of being under salt water for an extended time -- is NOT Covered!!!! - It's farm equipment.

I'm hoping to get down there by early to mid October - when it opens.

Joe

ogie
09-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Don't understand stuck on that IP address.
What do you mean by that?
Software update coming by month's end.

Joe

I don't use internet connection whenever i used the other controllers.
I am testing stage with this Hinkspix16 however I was stuck with the IP 192.168.1.201, I can ping the IP but I cannot open it in the browser.
here's what I did, connected it thru the wifi modem thru lan, reset the controller, it indicates - MFG set up, 192.168.254.254, MFG server
thus this means it's downloading update for firmware?

Regards,

Ogie

JHinkle
09-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Those IP addresses are local address.

I suggest putting the board back into factory reset condition by doing the following:

Reset or power on the board - you should see a "Welcome" on the display for about 5 to 7 seconds. During this time press the LEFT button on the power board and a menu will appear.

Use the up/down buttons and maneuver to the menu selection to "Erase EE". Once that selection is selected - press the middle or Enter button.

The board will reset and be back in it's original state.

Question - have you "ever" had the Web Page displayed using the network connects you described?

I ask because the board must be on the same sub-net as the computer you are attempting to connect to it - meaning the first 3 numbers of the board's IP must be the same as our computer's IP.

You can tell your computer's IP address by getting a "Command Prompt" or "DOS Box" to appear on your computer and then type the command "ipconfig" - without the quotes.

If all else fails, give a call to HolidayCoro and use the menu to contact me - or PM me and I'll provide my phone number and we can talk. If you not in North America, we can talk via WhatsApp or Skype.

Let me know how it goes.

Joe

ogie
09-17-2017, 09:03 PM
Those IP addresses are local address.

I suggest putting the board back into factory reset condition by doing the following:

Reset or power on the board - you should see a "Welcome" on the display for about 5 to 7 seconds. During this time press the LEFT button on the power board and a menu will appear.

Use the up/down buttons and maneuver to the menu selection to "Erase EE". Once that selection is selected - press the middle or Enter button.

The board will reset and be back in it's original state.

Question - have you "ever" had the Web Page displayed using the network connects you described?

I ask because the board must be on the same sub-net as the computer you are attempting to connect to it - meaning the first 3 numbers of the board's IP must be the same as our computer's IP.

You can tell your computer's IP address by getting a "Command Prompt" or "DOS Box" to appear on your computer and then type the command "ipconfig" - without the quotes.

If all else fails, give a call to HolidayCoro and use the menu to contact me - or PM me and I'll provide my phone number and we can talk. If you not in North America, we can talk via WhatsApp or Skype.

Let me know how it goes.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I'll will try to do this tonight.
I'll let you know what happens.

ogie
09-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks Joe, I'll will try to do this tonight.
I'll let you know what happens.

Hi Joe,

Tried your advised but still failed.

here's what i did.

1. pressed reset buttom,
2. "WELCOME", pressed left buttom (tried short and long pressed several attempts)

here is what on the OLED display
CONNECT SERVER (after a while this will change to NO INTERNET)
HOLIDAYCORRO ( after a while this will change to NO PIXEL CONNECTED)
NO PIXEL CONFIG (After a while this will change to SW BYPASSED)
192.168.1.201 (can be ping from cmd>)

3. Tried this also.
Connected the devise to router, with internet.
press on reset buttom while pgm buttom is also pressed, released reset buttom the red led lites up and release pgm buttom

MFG SETUP
MFG SERVER
is this suppose to be upgrade of firmware?

Still failed to make the board functional.

Any suggestions Joe.

Thanks.

JHinkle
09-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Not sure why you are pressing the MFG button - that is for Manufacturing only.

Software update will be by the end of this month - next 2 weeks - just finishing some testing.

When a software update is available, plugging the board into a network that has Internet will automatically update the firmware for you - no need for you to take any action.

Joe

JHinkle
09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Have have released a software update that will bring your board up to the same capability as the EasyLights Pix16.

See the following thread:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?47944-EasyLights-Pix16-Cloud-based-WIFI-3-Port-Ethernet-Switch-Pixel-Controller&p=472360#post472360

ccrowder
09-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all your had work Joe! Are there any features found on the new EasyLights that are not found on our Hinks pix? Will the Hinks pix board also support the FM audio board?

JHinkle
09-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all your had work Joe! Are there any features found on the new EasyLights that are not found on our Hinks pix? Will the Hinks pix board also support the FM audio board?

This HinksPix was the initial EasyLights Beta board. We learned a lot from that board and the multiple prototypes in between.

The same software runs in the HinksPix board as well as the EasyLights board.

Your HinksPix board now supports the full 65 Universes at 40fps or 25msec timing. I sent an PM to Shaun a month ago asking that his controller comparison site be updated with that fact but he has never replied.

The HinksPix does not have current monitoring, Blown Fuse detection/reporting nor an active RTC (hardware not there). The Time on the HinksPix is managed from time acquired from the Internet or EasyLights.com for your show schedules.

The HinksPix can operate in standalone mode - play audio (you have a line-out audio connector) and sequences except there is no FM transmitter connection.

So -- your existing HinksPix is 95% that of an EasyLights controller!!!!

Thanks for purchasing it and being part of the development process.

Make sure you setup the WIFI to talk to EasyLights.com (youtube video coming) - that way you can benefit from all of our Cloud capabilities.

Joe

ccrowder
09-25-2017, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I have been happy with the board as it stands so everything else is just icing =)

JHinkle
09-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I have been happy with the board as it stands so everything else is just icing =)

Just to clarify - your HinksPix does support audio out. There is a 1/8 stereo jack that makes "Line-Out, 1v p-p, audio available. Just connect it to a FM transmitter and your all set.

We decided to integrate the FM transmitter into the EasyLights Pix16 design to make it a complete package for our customers. No Rasberry PI required, no learning how to program a Rasberry PI, no non-legal FM transmitters to deal with, etc.

Joe

ccrowder
09-25-2017, 02:34 PM
, no non-legal FM transmitters to deal with, etc.

This has been my issue. I know most folks say nobody cares but I like to be safe so spent time trying to dampen my signal =p

angus40
09-26-2017, 11:44 PM
The current monitoring feature is a real plus with this controller .

While playing with various props , pixel types , pixel counts , and controller output values , the current feature

displayed exactly how much of a current glutton the Ws 2812b strips are .

Also the ws 2812b seem to be erratic as heck @ full white .

Having a bottom end output of 10 % sure saves on power , especially with high density props .

I also noticed the erratic current draw behaviour disappeared @10% on the 2812b's .

angus40
10-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Well I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it .

We know how dogs can be like hoover vacuum cleaners when it comes to sniffing around your house and investigating every square in of a room's real estate .

My daughter's lap dogs are no different and one of her dogs was so quick at hoovering with her nose and tongue on the main CPU board of the HinksPix I was testing.

Before I knew it , the lcd was toast , or so I had thought .

This event with the curious pooch happened over six months ago and I had resigned to the fact that the lcd was kaput !

An embarrassing event to have happen and to have to contact Joe and explain to say the least.

How ever , I had another lcd go down out in my yard after a night of heavy rain and I messaged Joe in a panic .

Thanks to Joe and his forethought of designing features into his controller , I was able to get both lcd displays back up and working . WooooT

ccrowder
10-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Any chance you could release a tech drawing with dimensions and mount hole measurements if we want to make a mounting plate?

dmoore
10-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Any chance you could release a tech drawing with dimensions and mount hole measurements if we want to make a mounting plate?

We will have available mounting plates and can provide you with the drawings for both boards (FM, main).

We have controllers queued up and ready to ship, just waiting for the polishing touches to the easylights website.

Thanks,
David

ChristmasLover
11-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Are these available for purchase yet?

JHinkle
11-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Yes.

See the link below.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?47944-EasyLights-Pix16-Cloud-based-WIFI-3-Port-Ethernet-Switch-Pixel-Controller

Joe

Rulos
11-16-2017, 03:08 AM
Hello i receive PIX16 and i been making some tests on Vixen with RGB strip lights that is 300 Pixels and on the Setup of the controller card i define Port 1 for for Total output of 300 Pixels but when i play the sequence only about 170 pixlels light on,

I believe it has to do with the universes, but maybe you can tell me what im doing wrong should be easy fix

and also i have a question for the power injection, never donr it before so for doing this i need to reconnect V+ and GND to power supply on second part of the strip ?

and third question how many Pixels i can connect to Port 1 doing power injection, looking to do as well a Big Pixel Matrix.

Thank You!

JHinkle
11-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Hello i receive PIX16 and i been making some tests on Vixen with RGB strip lights that is 300 Pixels and on the Setup of the controller card i define Port 1 for for Total output of 300 Pixels but when i play the sequence only about 170 pixlels light on,

I believe it has to do with the universes, but maybe you can tell me what im doing wrong should be easy fix

and also i have a question for the power injection, never donr it before so for doing this i need to reconnect V+ and GND to power supply on second part of the strip ?

and third question how many Pixels i can connect to Port 1 doing power injection, looking to do as well a Big Pixel Matrix.

Thank You!

The Controller board can drive 4 universes per port. Most users use 170 pixels per universe - so you can drive 680 pixels.

Please note - you can drive 680 pixels but probable not light them due to the power requirement - which you have asked regarding power injection.

Power injection has little to nothing to do with the controller other than how many pixels before its required. I would search the site about power injection since it is a common issue with building large displays.

There are two tabs on the Pix16's web site that must be properly set up to drive 300 pixels from port 1.

The E131 tab tells the controller what universes are going to be transmitted and how many channels each specific universes will contain. The controller builds a continuous channel array based on that information.

The Port Config tab tells the controller which channels/pixels (from the E131 channel array) to apply to each port.

The last thing required is that you have to actually send data for the 300 pixels - you made no statement that you were actually sending 900 channels of data.

Hope that helps.

Joe

gentzleon
11-25-2017, 02:54 PM
I have my display all setup and noticed one big issue, I just have 3 pixel trees running from the hinkspix. I connected everything just like i had it last year with the alphapix 16. I notice the hinkspix cannot drive the trees with any sort of extension, WTF ( sorry but this is frustrating). I disconnected the tree from the hinks and connect it to a port on the alphapix and properly set up the port in xlights. Well what do you know, with power at 100% the tree lights up and works great..... Seems something either data is weak in the hinks or something is not correct. Really frustrating specially this close to the holidays......

JHinkle
11-25-2017, 08:38 PM
I have my display all setup and noticed one big issue, I just have 3 pixel trees running from the hinkspix. I connected everything just like i had it last year with the alphapix 16. I notice the hinkspix cannot drive the trees with any sort of extension, WTF ( sorry but this is frustrating). I disconnected the tree from the hinks and connect it to a port on the alphapix and properly set up the port in xlights. Well what do you know, with power at 100% the tree lights up and works great..... Seems something either data is weak in the hinks or something is not correct. Really frustrating specially this close to the holidays......

What do you mean "extension"?

Are you running 12v or 5v pixels?

What does your statement of power at 100% mean?

Please provide more specific information.

Joe

JHinkle
11-25-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm going to take a guess on what you mean "extension".

Have you added wire length between the controller and the first pixel?

If you have - you have most likely extended outside the working design criteria or the inline resistor that is used in the data and clock lines.

Your HinksPix uses 270 ohm resistors.

Those resistors are changeable so you can tailor the value to meet your wire length.

The AlphaPix uses 100 ohm resistors - which means it can drive a longer length of cable but has different design trade-offs when it comes to slew-rate control, line termination, ringing due to reflections, etc

As a side note, the EasyLights controller (HinksPix was the Beta version of this design) uses 100 ohm resistors.

We concluded customers were more interested in driving a longer wire than the potential issues associated with using a lower resistor.

So, you can pull the 270 ohm resistor packs and replace them with 100 ohm packs are use a "Null Pixel" in your extension.

Joe

stenersonj
11-25-2017, 11:02 PM
I am using a beta HinksPix. I am running a few outputs about 12 to 14 feet and they have been fine. I have one output cable about 25 feet, but I am using a null pixel driver for that one and it works fine.

angus40
11-25-2017, 11:39 PM
I had no issues driving 130 5v Ws2812b pixels using cat5 @ 60 Ft. from The HinksPix16 .

am yet to do this same test on the EasyPix though I think it can even best its predecessor .

I am working on a much more grueling test with the Easylights controlller ! :)

So far this controller has been indestructible and yes I am very > very hard on the equipment .

gentzleon
11-26-2017, 08:27 PM
I have a 15' extension and it will not drive the pixela. Is it regular resistors? Which resistors are they? Yea the alphapix runs them great...

angus40
11-26-2017, 09:57 PM
I have a 15' extension and it will not drive the pixela. Is it regular resistors? Which resistors are they? Yea the alphapix runs them great...

Joe suggested you try these :)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/50-PCS-B08-101G-100-ohm-2-100R-B-101G-4-Commoned-Resistor-Network-Array-8-PIN/301210017624?hash=item4621841f58:g:GKEAAOxyUfFTlVZ l

ccrowder
11-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Had a frustration last night trying to figure something out so thought I would toss out what I learned. Being sick over Thanksgiving did not give me a chance to throw up lights. So I quickly got them on the house but since I made some changes I did not have channels mapped yet. I figured I would just use the test page and tell the lights to blink RGBW so I had something going. Found out that if you have say P1 for channels 1-500 and P2 for 100-200 and P1 is on and P2 is off then the P2 settings override P1 and you will not see any lights light up that should be channels 100-200 while the rest work. Was odd and frustrating at first but then figured it out. So make sure you configure ports correctly =p

Still love this board and can't wait to really stress it next year with more elements.

angus40
11-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Had a frustration last night trying to figure something out so thought I would toss out what I learned. Being sick over Thanksgiving did not give me a chance to throw up lights. So I quickly got them on the house but since I made some changes I did not have channels mapped yet. I figured I would just use the test page and tell the lights to blink RGBW so I had something going. Found out that if you have say P1 for channels 1-500 and P2 for 100-200 and P1 is on and P2 is off then the P2 settings override P1 and you will not see any lights light up that should be channels 100-200 while the rest work. Was odd and frustrating at first but then figured it out. So make sure you configure ports correctly =p

Still love this board and can't wait to really stress it next year with more elements.

Your post lacks in detail as to what you had incorrectly configured.
Was there an actual issue here or a lesson learned that you are sharing without detailing the resolution ?
If output expectations were not met due to incorrect port configuration , it sounds like a flag was raised during test mode to alert you.

Cheers

ccrowder
11-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Oh.. Sorry.. The point I was trying to make was if you have two ports configured for the same channels and you turn one port on and the other off on the test page the "off" state is what will end up with your pixels regardless of what port they were actually attached to.

For example
Port 1 set to channels 1-90 (30 pixels)
Port 2 set to channels 61-90 (10 pixels)

Then attach 30 pixels to the physical port 1. Now if you go to the test page and turn on port 1 and set it to blink but port 2 is off (since nothing attached) only the first 20 bulbs will blink (channels 1-60). The last 10 will not. So it seems that the 'off' status of P2 takes precedence for the channel operations regardless of what is assigned to port 1.

Does that make more sense?

angus40
11-28-2017, 05:24 PM
That is interesting and seems to make sense chronologically /serially , if not contention would be chaos .

I am curious if you configured port 3 identical to port 2 and did the test leaving port 1 on , port 2 off and port 3 on
would the output be on instead of off ?

Would be interesting to see what results you get when sending e1.31 to this configuration .

JHinkle
11-28-2017, 06:47 PM
You can drive multiple ports with the same data when running E131 based data.

Test mode is a different story. Test mode is simple color from low ports to hi ports.

In test mode, the ports are processed 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16 -- in THAT order. So, in your situation channels were turned on when ports 1-4 were processed and then turned off when ports 5-8 were processed --- the second operation over-wrote the first.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Rulos
12-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Hello Joe,

Since I purchase the PIX16 I have experience for 2nd time, Iím unable to connect to the IP address of the controller I see it on the small oled screen 192.168.0.6 but somehow itís seems the controller is stuck or something, I already reset it to factory default settings, I remember there was a white led that flashed on the R58 but is not working this happened to me 2 weeks ago and somerbow it started working again by itself.

But now Iím stuck again.

Maybe you have experience the same problem. Please let me know what could be the possibility.

This light used to flash when it was working with nerwork

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171212/4fdfca82931ce7e068f1668a8881de5b.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHinkle
12-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Are you using a static IP address or dynamic?

Rulos
12-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Are you using a static IP address or dynamic?

dynamic ip

TazChaLet
12-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Difference between static and dynamic IPs. When a device is assigned a static IP address, the address does not change. Dynamic IP addresses, which are assigned by the network when they connect change over time.

JHinkle
12-12-2017, 12:58 PM
To help, I need to understand what is happening.

Is there a E131 transmitter actively sending data (Vixen, Xlights, FPP, etc)?

With nothing attempting to send E131 sequence data - does the Web Page come up?

Are you located in USA - your profile does not show your location?

Are you attempting to open the web page on a computer or a mobile device?

Rulos
12-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Ok Right now there is nothing transmitting.

The web page is not coming up,

I was testing different LIghts from the webpage under the test page, And is not coming up anymore.

I connected controller to my router It does show connected and then disconnects by itself from the network.

Try to access to the ip and is not coming up I ping the IP address responds while is booting up and then it stops.

Also I see the easylights Wi-Fi and thatís all I already reset to factory defaults I also reset my router but is not coming up when I try to access

Yes Iím in Texas.

Please help Iím going a little bit crazy

I have a FPP connected on the same network and that one shows with no problem

angus40
12-13-2017, 01:04 AM
Did you try switching patch cables to a known good working one ?

HeyRay2
05-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Old thread, but I'm having the same issue with my beta board. Board will obtain an IP and can be pinged from a PC, but the controller web page is not accessible (all web browsers show a "connection reset" error).

Is there a E131 transmitter actively sending data (Vixen, Xlights, FPP, etc)? No data is being transmitted

With nothing attempting to send E131 sequence data - does the Web Page come up? No

Are you located in USA? Seattle, WA

Are you attempting to open the web page on a computer or a mobile device? Attempted multiple PCs and mobile devices. None can access the web page.

Did you try switching patch cables to a known good working one ? Tried multiple patch cables. Same result

JHinkle
05-08-2019, 01:35 PM
When was the last time the controller was allowed to update its firmware?

What is the IP address the controller has?

Using the menu - what is the firmware version?

TSL
05-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Old thread, but I'm having the same issue with my beta board. Board will obtain an IP and can be pinged from a PC, but the controller web page is not accessible (all web browsers show a "connection reset" error).

Is there a E131 transmitter actively sending data (Vixen, Xlights, FPP, etc)? No data is being transmitted

With nothing attempting to send E131 sequence data - does the Web Page come up? No

Are you located in USA? Seattle, WA

Are you attempting to open the web page on a computer or a mobile device? Attempted multiple PCs and mobile devices. None can access the web page.

Did you try switching patch cables to a known good working one ? Tried multiple patch cables. Same result

Iím having the same issues mine. Itís just my test board but Iíve tried the same with the same results

angus40
05-08-2019, 03:53 PM
I don't think there is a server hosting the updates .
Status returns > error updating
Pairing with Easylights.com seems to be in a continuously polling loop with no reply .

TSL
05-08-2019, 04:35 PM
I get some Easy lights thing also

JHinkle
05-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Boards purchased prior to Jan 2018 had firmware that used an Amazon SSL server that did my board firmware updates.

Feb 2018 Amazon updated their SSL process which broke the update process - so auto-updates no longer worked.

If you went into the controllers menu and clicked on "Factory Update" - that version of the firmware erased the web page data - hence no web service available.

I expected people who got into the situation stated here would contact me.

I will send you a Window Program that will communicate with the board and update new firmware. Once updated - it will load the latest firmware and web page data and you will be good-to-go.

I hope this explanation helps.

Joe

TSL
05-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Joe, how would you like to send it?

TSL
05-08-2019, 05:47 PM
I have one from prior to 2018

JHinkle
05-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Please PM me with your email address and a phone number I can call you at.

I need to walk you thru the process as it's a one time process so it not the most user friendly.

Let me know the best time to call when you are home with the controller hooked up to a network line to the Internet and your computer can talk to it.

Sorry for the inconvenience - I had a back door designed in case something unforeseen like Amazon going wrong - but I have to walk you thru it.

Joe

TSL
05-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Joe do you still have the same phone number from back when these were sold on HC. Because I have that phone number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JHinkle
05-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Yes - that's my personal cell phone number

TSL
05-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Iíll text you my info if thatís ok

JHinkle
05-08-2019, 07:45 PM
That's fine - I look forward to speaking with you.

TSL
05-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Thanks Joe. I wonít be home until Sunday

angus40
05-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Many thanks Joe for addressing the firmware update this quickly . !!!!!!!
The new features you have added will be a treat also :)

Best Regards

Ps. Folks Whatsapp is a good way to avoid long distance charges .

HeyRay2
05-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Thanks for helping me out as well, Joe!

Board is back up and running! Looking forward to messing with new features!

TSL
05-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Joe took care of mine on Friday. Great response from him to get, what I thought was a useless board working. Everything went fine and itís back up and running. Thanks again for the great service.