PDA

View Full Version : How to make different color light stands strobe

yellowdog87
10-24-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm new to the Christmas light shows. I decorate heavily around the house and last year bought a Mr Christmas and played with that. I built a 7 ft Christmas tree with pvc and plan to wrap it in different color light stands. My question is how do I make the different color light stands come on at different times to make a dancing or show effect instead of them all on at the same time

mikecentral
10-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Are you interested in having a computer controlled display? If that is where you are going, then you need a control board and some software. The software (e.g. Vixen) is free. The best control board to start with (if you are comfortable with soldering) is this http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?22450-SS-Renard-Kits-Now-Available-(current-9-16-16)

This is the short answer to your question. The full answer will take a bit more space :-). Checkout the many posts in this section to get a feel for what you need to do http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-The-Beginning

Jerry-Rigs
10-24-2016, 06:55 PM
... Mr Christmas ... 7 ft Christmas tree with pvc ... wrap it in different color light stands. My question is how do I make the different color light stands come on at different times to make a dancing or show effect instead of them all on at the same time

Welcome.

You need a "light controller".

I think the "Mr Christmas" is one of very low capability entry level light controllers you plug your lights into then just plug each light string into a difference socket. Mr Christmas turns the lights on/off when it wants to, sometimes in time to music. No insult intended, but they are crap. But they are also a "taster drug".

If you are looking to ditch Mr Christmas and do something nice, you will find lots of help here but first, I urge you to read, read, read. Then ask some questions. then read some more.

I don't mean to scare you but this can be a monetarily expensive hobby and it absolutely is a time expensive hobby.

MikeKrebs
10-25-2016, 02:06 AM
How many lights and what kind? How many strands for effect? Do you have sound capability? (Blinky lights without music is meh)

yellowdog87
10-25-2016, 06:50 PM
I understand the expense of this hobby/addiction lol. I've spent many years buying new lights every year after Christmas. I would guess I have around 6000 lights, LED and regulars as well as many yard decorations . I've read a lot on this forum every year around this time looking at controllers but I always get scared at the complexity of it all and I don't pull the trigger and buy one. That's y I'm using the Mr Christmas I've had for several years but feel I've "out grown" it. I'd like to try the renard controller because I see a lot of good things on here about it but as far as buying one and soldering I don't think my skill is that good

MikeKrebs
10-25-2016, 09:51 PM
24 strands on the tree? Get a ss24 or tr24 and go for it. Relatively easy soldering. If you are new, it might take a few hours over a week to complete the first one. Still time but it is running short for this year.