PDA

View Full Version : New Trigger input

pete
10-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Hey Gang,

Here's a new Trigger plug-in written by Kiwichristmas to try out. It gives you 10 inputs, The input comes from your computers keyboard, Keys 0-9. It works great to manually control sound effects or special effects as trick or treats approach. or to launch sequences from a song list. Just download the attached file and extract it into the existing trigger folder in the plug-in folder in your Vixen folder.

Enjoy,

Pete

Michael
10-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I have not looked into triggers yet and was wondering how they work.
Can they fire something while a sequence within a program is running, or does everything have to be stopped for them to work?

- Michael

kostyun
10-03-2008, 11:48 AM
And to make it REALY fun - you could try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823217002

pete
10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Michael,

yes you can fire a trigger seq while another seq is running. It is best to set the triggers to use reserved channels, else the lights may blink quickly and about half brightness.

Pete

kenl92
10-04-2008, 10:32 AM
i cant get this trigger to work, can someone please explain how to use it?

Thanks
Kenny

kiwichristmas
10-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Hi Kenny,

Check out this post by Pete, http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2197&postcount=2
He runs through the basics of setting up a trigger.

You need to unzip the trigger dll and copy it into the \Plugins\Trigger folder under Vixen, then when you start vixen there will be a new option on the toolbar called triggers, click on the name to setup any option.
To test if it is working click on the "trigger Beep" option and apply, now if you press a number pad kep 0-9 the pc will beep.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers
Chris

deplanche
10-16-2008, 12:11 AM
I keep getting this error when I try to use the trigger. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

After I get this, I get an bug message from Vixen when I try to close. If I don't try to use the trigger, Vixen runs just fine, so I am pretty sure it is a trigger problem - probably specific to me, but who knows.

kiwichristmas
10-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention you need directx installed.
you can down load it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

version : directx 9.0c

Cheers
Chris

Macrosill
10-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Can the trigger keys be mapped of are they stuck to 0-9?

deplanche
10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Michael,

yes you can fire a trigger seq while another seq is running. It is best to set the triggers to use reserved channels, else the lights may blink quickly and about half brightness.

Pete

Can you explain what you mean by reserved channels?

kenl92
10-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I think he means channels used only on that trigger so that it won't interfear with other channels while the sequence is running!

pete
10-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Brian : The Keys are currently just 0-9. I couldn't see a reason have them mappable at the time the plug in was written.

deplanche : kenl92 is correct, I have assigned triggers to channels that were being used by another seq and launch one while another was running. They would run ok but if the timing was just right you got some stranger results so its best to reserve some channels for any trigger that are like special effects i.e... 'Lightning' . If you using the trigger to just launch song seq. this doesn't matter. and it works great for that.

Pete

deplanche
10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
A few little bits of info on this trigger, that i have learned from playing with it. Not sure if these are all supposed to work like this or if this is just how my set-up is working. But figured I would share for anyone else who may be thininking of using.

You can run a trigger while a sequence is running normally or started by the trigger. However, once the first sequence stops, any triggered sequences will stop where they are at. So if you are running a 10 second sequence, and 3 seconds in you run a 16 second trigger, only the first 7 seconds of the trigger will play, but the last 9 won't. The lights will remain wherever they were when the first sequence stopped... on, off, or somewhere in between. Keep this in mind when creating and playing the triggers so you don't have things stopping part way in.

I tried this with 1 grinch, with 16 channel on a regular sequence, and 8 channels for triggers only (set up using the enable/disable channels for the different sequences). It works fine, but I do get a pop-up window since all are using the same COM port for the connections to the Ren-T. I don't think i'd get this window if 2 controllers were used on different ports. Again, it works, but you have to make the pop-up go away before you can trigger another one.

This is going to work great for Halloween. Planning on having a few differnet triggers for after people get candy. One a little scarier for the big kids, one cute one for the little ones, and one "where's my thank you" for the ones who can't remember to day it.

Very nice job making it!!

deplanche
10-30-2008, 11:24 PM
I thought I had this figured out... then i tried it on the laptop. That only has USB ports. On one I am using a USB-to-Serial adapater (COM5) and on another I am using a lynx DMX dongle (COM6). If I run a sequence all by itself it runs just fine, whether using the trigger or not. But whenever I try to run two at a time, none of which are using the same channels or COM ports, I start getting pop-ups that access is denied because it is in use, and the whole show crashes out.

What I am trying to do is run a lighthing show outside with the DMX MR-16 controller (on COM6) for the full duration. When kids come to the door I have a few different short sequences (Boos, screams, Happy Halloween, etc) that are using channels on a grinch on COM5. Just can't seem to trigger those while the lightning show is running.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Missing a toggle or setting somewhere? I have no idea what to do or where to start on this one. Don't even know what more to tell you guys, so i'll wait for comments or questions.

Thanks.

ArtClarkJr
11-12-2008, 09:01 AM
I have this trigger set up and it works fine. Now do you need to start the trigger each time you first open a sequence or can it be attached to a profile?