PDA

View Full Version : Loving Falcon

DynamoBen
09-21-2016, 02:43 PM
I've been running my Halloween show in Vixen 2.x for many years. I decided to make the jump to Vixen 3.x this year and decided to try Falcon on my Raspberry Pi 3 since exporting the files is so easy. In the little amount of time I've been using Falcon I have to say I'm impressed! Assuming no issues crop up I plan to run my entire show from the Pi and skip the full PC this year. Nice job!

Cmschleich
09-21-2016, 03:07 PM
I have to say, it is some of the more polished and easy to use free software I've tried of any function. Love the F16V2 also, much better than the other one I have.

DynamoBen
09-21-2016, 03:21 PM
I have to say, it is some of the more polished and easy to use free software I've tried of any function.

Agreed. I spent many years doing professional lighting and they have "lighting playback controllers" (LPC). Typically its the "guts" of the lighting console w/o all the sliders and buttons mainly for architectural use (IE Rain Forest Cafe). You create the show on a full console and run it on an LPC. I always thought holiday lighting should have a similar thing...and now they do.

CaptainMurdoch
09-21-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. David Pitts created FPP in early 2013 but turned over development to me in October of that year so he could concentrate on other things (like the F16 v2 and the xLights v4 UI rewrite). I'm happy with the progress we've made in FPP over the past 3 years and even more excited as I look forward to a lot of the things still on our ToDo list. I have even grander plans for FPP. :) if only I had more time....

DynamoBen
09-21-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm happy with the progress we've made in FPP over the past 3 years and even more excited as I look forward to a lot of the things still on our ToDo list. I have even grander plans for FPP. :) if only I had more time....

Well nice job thus fare and after my testing today I think this will be my solution for this year's show. I'm also thinking about other ways I could use it, because I too have grander plans too. ;)

I see the project is open source and had thought about pitching in but I'm not sure that my C skills are up to snuff (had hoped the project was in python). But I still plan to check out the code.

Recently I was eyeing this up (https://www.terrortech.com/index.php/electronics/terror-board-126-detail) for another project I have in the works. It too is based on a Pi and what I like about it is the web based scripting and I/O functions. Beyond that I saw an ad for this (http://megasystemsinc.com/shop/video-processors/imageservers/imagecue/) which I'm sure the video folks in the group might drool over. Just more to consider as you continue development. ;)

budude
09-22-2016, 02:21 AM
Frankly FPP and xLights/NC has been a complete paradigm change in DIY lighting without a doubt. The entire Falcon line is a fresh start on the originals like the E68x and P12 line and all are greatly appreciated!

DynamoBen
09-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Forgot to mention PocketVJ (http://pocketvj.com/) which has some cool features like video surface mapping and projector control which might be able to be "lifted" for Falcon since its open source.

pixelpuppy
09-23-2016, 12:14 AM
Falcon is the only way to Fly. :thup2:
Go Falcons! :biggrin2:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://f7689c69-141c-4f69-80eb-bf40475a698d/imagejpeg

Cmschleich
09-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Frankly FPP and xLights/NC has been a complete paradigm change in DIY lighting without a doubt. The entire Falcon line is a fresh start on the originals like the E68x and P12 line and all are greatly appreciated!

Vixen and its grouping architecture is huge to me. I'm also new. What makes you reference xlights specifically for paradigm change?

Phrog30
09-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Vixen and its grouping architecture is huge to me. I'm also new. What makes you reference xlights specifically for paradigm change?
You can group in xlights.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Skunberg
09-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Xlights was first to make a change from "the grid" that LOR, Vixen 2.1 and a couple other sequencers used. And really gave a jumping point for Vixen 3 that had been floundering for awhile. That would be my take but maybe Brian had something else in mind when he wrote it.

battle79
09-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Other way around with the grid part. X lights Didn't have the full sequence until well after vixen3. I find both software has a very important role in our hobby. Vixen is by far more intuitive, and works like you expect a windows program to. Xlight while being more complex, does give more options and effects.
I was going to move to Xlight this year, but the vixen release added most of the xlights type effects and i just can't say enough about how much i prefer the way vixen groups items. I actually have my candy cane items grouped 3 way to allow different effects easily.
Thw new singing fave software built into vixen is also another reason i like it. So easy to grasp how it works.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

budude
09-24-2016, 07:35 PM

Actually I said xLights/Nutcracker - between them both it has made it simple to run/convert any sequence type to any other type and run them from the one PC. Nutcracker has made the jump into Pixel programming much easier than with any other program. The only thing that comes close is/was LOR SuperStar but that had many shortcomings and ran out of gas. By adding a timeline to it, it has shifted from a somewhat cumbersome effect generator to a full fledged sequencer.

FPP allows you to run an entire show (a Yuge show btw) on a $35 Raspberry PI - this will be my 3rd year using it and it works flawlessly. LOR or Vixen (v2) on a PC - ugh - too many random stops/crashes for me (and yes - I know many people run w/o any issues - but I didn't...). I can take old LOR and Vixen sequences and convert them over an play as-is on my FPP - that's hard to beat... I can also take another persons Nutcracker sequence and apply it to my setup by just re-mapping elements - no need to cut/paste rows, etc to match up the number of lights/pixels - that is all done for you.

While Vixen 3 and also HLS are a longggg way from LOR and Vixen 2, I would consider them a natural progression of the originals and not so much revolutionary. That's not a knock - indeed they are awesome and lots of folks use them. I've used them all at one point or another and I still tend to prefer the old school grid format but you can get much tighter timing by getting away from it.