PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Issue

Cmschleich
09-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I have Vixen 3.3 running on a PC. I have a F16v2R and an E682. I'm struggling to get my sequence to play to the right elements when using FPP.

Here's my troubleshooting sequence.

F16v2R onboard test patterns activate the right lights.
E682 onboard test patterns activate the right lights.
Vixen Webserver tests activate the right lights.
FPP test patterns activates the right lights and colors.
Vixen 3.3 playing the sequence activates the right lights.
The sequence playing through the FPP does not activate the right lights, or the right colors.

I have a few fuzzy spots about my mapping across all these platforms, I think I only understand Universe/channel/output mapping concept 50% at this point, but I don't want to add those comments yet. What else would you check based on this evidence series?

Out of curiosity, anyone live in Orange County, CA?

MartinMueller2003
09-11-2016, 12:30 AM
The issue may be on the FPP and the start channels you are assigning to the universes. Please post a picture of your config on the FPP and then the config on the F16v2. After that we will most likely ask about the patching on the PC.

kartingted
09-11-2016, 12:44 AM
When you export from vixen you get the screen with start channels for controllers
You need to make sure they are the same in fpp

Cmschleich
09-11-2016, 04:06 AM
IGNORE FOR NOW. IGNORE FOR NOW. Through capturing all the pictures I see an issue related to what kartingted said. I don't quite get what the export is doing with the channels given that I've told them what to be in the Display settings. Going to run some tests.

Thanks, feels like one I'm going to dump a dozen hours into if left to my own.

In order:
E682 string mapping. (Unicast, universes 1 through 12, all set for 510, I'm reserving channels 1-9 for three hard addressed floods I may use in the future. I've zeroed out all outputs I'm not useing)
F16V2R E131 config
F16V2R string mapping. (I'm using outputs 1 and 2, and 9 an 10, so as to be on different power buses)
FPP output map
Vixen display settings for F162VR
Vixen display settings for E682 (see next post, I hit attachment limit)
Vixen sequence export screen

If I try to use manually set starting addresses for the F162VR for universes 5, 6, 7, and 8 the assigned element patches never bind to the controller outputs.

Cmschleich
09-11-2016, 04:29 AM
Not sure how to delete the post above.

I've got it. I did not recognize the implication to what was shown on the export screen. So I understand how I fixed it, but I don't understand what I was doing to make this twisted. I configured the Vixen Display, and Vixen drove the elements correctly with that mapping, why would that not inherently be part of the export since it works when Vixen is driving the sequence?

Both of you guys rule for responding. Without both posts I wouldn't have gone down the path needed.

First year in this hobby... the lessons and hangups hardware, software, and handyman (house) have been endless.

MartinMueller2003
09-11-2016, 02:54 PM
I build my show on vixen and play it on FPP. Since vixen does not play the show, it makes NO sense to tell it about the different controllers. That just adds complexity to getting things set up. On vixen I simply set up a single Renard (does not really need to be renard but it is simple to configure) controller with 25000 channels (going to be more this year). Then when I export, I simply have a large block of channels that need to be properly mapped on the FPP to my real controllers (PX1s and F16V2s and a Ren 64x).

Shockwave
09-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Consider building three elements in Vixen; 10 pixels for a snowman, 30 pixels for a bush and 50 pixels for a enormous candy cane. Each in its own universe, 1, 2, and 3. The FSEQ file will have have 10 pixels in universe 1 starting at channel 1, the next 30 pixels will be universe 2 starting at channel 11, and then 50 pixels in unvierse 3 starting at channel 41.

You have to have the mapping in FPP match that -- 10 channels in univ 1, 30 channels in univ 2 and 50 channels in univ 3.

MartinMueller2003
09-12-2016, 06:09 PM
It works much better when you do not drag universes into Vixen. Just make one huge controller and export the channels as a single block. You will thank yourself later.

Cmschleich
09-13-2016, 03:40 AM
It works much better when you do not drag universes into Vixen. Just make one huge controller and export the channels as a single block. You will thank yourself later.

This makes a lot more sense to me now. I'm going to try that.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lglaeser
10-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks CMschleich for asking the question that I needed answered, not know enough to ask the question myself.

I am very new to the hobby. I built an 8 channel singing pumpkin 2 years ago driven using a laptop running Vixen, Arduino UNO and relays. Last year it was a desktop. This year I have just gotten FPP running with a Falcon Pi Cap and an 8 Channel DMX Relay board. I have also purchased a couple of cheap pixel strings to experiment with. My intention was to outline my house with C9 RGB Pixels between Halloween and Christmas, then build a mega tree next Christmas.

My dread was not knowing what would happen when I went beyond the 1 x 8 channel universe I worked so hard to get operational.

Shockwave's response about creating a controller on Vixen for each universe I wanted to control, and MartinMueller2003's response to just create 1 big controller in Vixen together brought me to my "LightBulb" moment. I know understand the principles of how Vixen exports the sequences and how FPP interprets the export file.

Thank You!

MartinMueller2003
10-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Glad to have been of help.

CFPSystems
10-23-2017, 09:12 AM
OK, much like Cmschleich, I am having fits and starts with the mapping betweenb Vixen and FPP.

I have 2, e682 controllers (both unicast, 1st is universes 1-12 and other is 12-24). Neither is "full". Created both controllers in Vixen, mapped everything to them accordingly, have everything physically setup in my basement with actual length cords, etc. (my first year), and Vixen is working great! I made a little 1 minute startup test sequence that play exactly as I have laid it out in Vixen.

When I export the sequence, I pick Falcon Player Sequence, it shows me in the network section:
Controller Channels Start End
E682-House 6120 1 6120
E682-Shed 4590 6121 10710

When I go into FPP I have tried a bunch of different combinations but am unsuccessful at getting the lights to work as expected. I even tried (since the IP address of the shed is .3 and the house is .4), to change the order of the controllers in the Vixen output (putting Shed on top), but that doesn't help either. I don't have any FPP screenshots to include since I keep wiping out my attempts.

Any advice would be appreciated - I have looked at YouTube and have been reading a lot with no joy. This thread seems to be the proper one to post to for help!!

Best,
Charlie-

ezellner
10-23-2017, 09:32 AM
OK, much like Cmschleich, I am having fits and starts with the mapping betweenb Vixen and FPP.

I have 2, e682 controllers (both unicast, 1st is universes 1-12 and other is 12-24). Neither is "full". Created both controllers in Vixen, mapped everything to them accordingly, have everything physically setup in my basement with actual length cords, etc. (my first year), and Vixen is working great! I made a little 1 minute startup test sequence that play exactly as I have laid it out in Vixen.

When I export the sequence, I pick Falcon Player Sequence, it shows me in the network section:
Controller Channels Start End
E682-House 6120 1 6120
E682-Shed 4590 6121 10710

When I go into FPP I have tried a bunch of different combinations but am unsuccessful at getting the lights to work as expected. I even tried (since the IP address of the shed is .3 and the house is .4), to change the order of the controllers in the Vixen output (putting Shed on top), but that doesn't help either. I don't have any FPP screenshots to include since I keep wiping out my attempts.

Any advice would be appreciated - I have looked at YouTube and have been reading a lot with no joy. This thread seems to be the proper one to post to for help!!

Best,
Charlie-

In your description above for the second controller, you say Universes 12-24. Is that what you really have assigned? If so, you have an overlap with the first controller. It should be Universes 13-24.

CFPSystems
10-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Ed, Early Monday and not enough coffee - it is 13-24 on controller #2!

ezellner
10-23-2017, 10:27 AM
You say the lights don't work as expected. What actually happens?

CFPSystems
10-23-2017, 12:19 PM
You say the lights don't work as expected. What actually happens?

Ed, they are not firing as expected. I know that they are out of sequence going from Vixen to FPP but I cannot figure out how/ where. Some lights won't even turn on and others are shifted down the line further as far as I can tell. Charlie-

ezellner
10-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Ed, they are not firing as expected. I know that they are out of sequence going from Vixen to FPP but I cannot figure out how/ where. Some lights won't even turn on and others are shifted down the line further as far as I can tell. Charlie-

Can you post screen shots of your Display Setup page in Vixen, your E682 pages and your FPP setup pages?

CFPSystems
10-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Can you post screen shots of your Display Setup page in Vixen, your E682 pages and your FPP setup pages?

Ed,
I did more playing and this makes less sense (but better result), than I had before.

Basically, I just added up the numbers in the SanDevices pages and used them in the FPP channels page. They do NOT reflect the numbers that Vixen shown in their network export page (all attached).
By doing this, things mostly work but I cannot logically figure out why, and once I do, kinda unsure how to add some other element without rocking the boat. Please note, boat is still being righted to begin with...

I cannot attach more files to this post and will add the other two to another reply.

Charlie-

CFPSystems
10-23-2017, 02:07 PM

ezellner
10-23-2017, 03:14 PM

Looks like your FPP Universe 9 should have 330 as the universe size not 329.

ezellner
10-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Basically, your FPP universe settings need to match your controller universes. In the FPP, the channel numbers are continuous so the second controller just picks up where the previous one stopped plus one. If you have duplicate channel numbers in your setup, you will see weird pixel behavior.

algerdes
10-23-2017, 05:14 PM
The missing piece in the documentation you have provided is the patching within Vixen.