PDA

View Full Version : Release candidate testers wanted

jchuchla
08-02-2016, 12:37 AM
We're getting very close to having a release candidate for vixen 3.3. We could use some folks not so close to the development process who can put it thru its paces.

A good candidate is willing and knows how to work on their own show in a sandbox environment (just in case something breaks), has the time in the next few weeks to actually spend some quality time with it. It would be ideal to actually do some real display setup and sequencing. You don't need real props set up, we did very little with the output side, but if you do, it's good for us to know that still works as expected. You don't necessarily need prior vixen experience, though this process is more about testing than training, so familiarity with the basics certainly helps.

You can start testing features any time by playing with the dev builds, but as we get really close, we will be sending you separate builds that include an actual release installer to make sure that goes smoothly too.

It's important to not only test the new stuff but also the old stuff to make sure we didn't accidentally break anything. Some of the changes for this year are huge. So there's chances that there's some processes are affected that we didn't even think to try. That's what we need you for.

We do ask that you use the bug ticket tracker (bugs.vixenlights.com) to report any issues (no matter how minor). Even if it's simply not understanding how to use something, we need to know that too. Using the bug tracker helps us keep track of things and keep it from getting forgotten. Some of the improvements in this release are on tickets that are two or more years old. It really does help us keep on track.

If you're interested, please post here or send me a PM. You can test dev builds without even telling me. But the separate RC builds will only be available to those who contact me.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatMan42
08-02-2016, 12:44 AM
All in, Jon!! Love the Vixen and am more than than willing to test the latest!

ShimmerNZ
08-02-2016, 05:40 AM
Happy to help with testing also

bdk197
08-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Also happy to help in any way that I can. Have been running dev builds exclusively for the past several months.

jwamsley07
08-02-2016, 08:28 AM
I would like to test.

TazChaLet
08-02-2016, 10:12 AM
hey Jon if you need more hands I sit and play with vixen everyday so playing with a new version isnt anything new too me

Spyder
08-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Playing with 209 right now. Had a few little crashes but seems to have settled down a bit now. Happy to help out if I can, got some time this month to play while I actually attempt to sequence a few songs for my small 1st year show.

jchuchla
08-02-2016, 05:34 PM
If you get crashes of any kind, grab a copy of your logs and attach them to a bug ticket. If you can, let us know what you were doing right before the crash. We don't like crashes no matter how minor. The logs generally help us clear them up.

--Jon Chuchla--

codec101
08-02-2016, 05:41 PM
I've already been sequencing on the nightly builds and still have last years sequences to go through and update for our new house. I have both pixels with e682 and incans with renard along with lipsync. I would be happy to continue to be a guinea pig and help out where I can.

Spyder
08-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Jon. I was resizing the the main sequencing window so I could see all of the effect details and layering options on the right hand side. I had just loaded a sequence or it may have been my machine. It did happen twice in quick succession but has been fine for 30 minutes or so now.

I have various log files. Application.Error, Application.Fatal, Application.Info, Application.Warn. Which ones would you need?

jchuchla
08-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Error and fatal are usually the most relevant.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
08-05-2016, 12:27 AM
We're getting really close. Tonight's Build 228 represents the last of the new feature inclusions for this release. We've gone thru 49 builds in the last two weeks. That's going to make for a very long list of release notes for vixen 3.3. The last of the features are now in the dev builds. We're going to let this settle for a few days and collect any feedback or reports you have for us. Barring any major problems (which we don't expect), we'll be preparing a release candidate build early next week and the official release will be coming soon after that.

--Jon Chuchla--

pcmom
08-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Jon, I can't commit to being a candidate tester right now but I have found 2 slight errors (I think). Let me know if you want me to add to bug tracker. In Dev Build 228, Garland - up/down is reversed; Snowstorm Horizontal/Vertical is reversed.

kwoodard
08-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Jon, I'm at the perfect point to help out test the release candidate. I've got my two new pixel trees built and running in the garage and have begun to turn my attention to sequencing.

jchuchla
08-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Jon, I can't commit to being a candidate tester right now but I have found 2 slight errors (I think). Let me know if you want me to add to bug tracker. In Dev Build 228, Garland - up/down is reversed; Snowstorm Horizontal/Vertical is reversed.

Yes that sounds like it should get a ticket. (Or two). Some of that reversal happened in the translation. I thought we got it all, but we certainly could have missed some.

--Jon Chuchla--

Gnarmstr
08-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Yes that sounds like it should get a ticket. (Or two). Some of that reversal happened in the translation. I thought we got it all, but we certainly could have missed some.

--Jon Chuchla--

I have provided some comments on the tickets he raised however just wanted to highlight here.
In regards to the snowstorm having horizontal/vertical reversed, this relates to the prop or string orientation and not the effect that is applied, so although the string orientation is vertical the nature of the effect being snowstorm is moving left or right. This is correct and not a bug.

With regards to the Garland having up/down reversed, the reason it's like this is because the garlands are the one moving and therefor moving down. Although this is correct I understand the confusion and will adjust the tooltip and make slight changes to better reflect too lesson the confusion.

Thanks for reporting these.

jeffu231
08-07-2016, 06:23 PM
We are up to build #232 now. No new features, but we fixed a few items that have been reported.

jchuchla
08-09-2016, 01:09 PM
For anyone watching, The RC is now in the hands of testers. Pending the success of this phase, release will be very soon.

--Jon Chuchla--

evilfish
08-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Can't test, but cant wait for the new version.

Just out of curiosity. What is "soon"? I know an exact answer is impossible. But are we talking days, a week or a month? I'm really close to locking my (first) system down for this year, so it would be nice to know if I should plan a couple of days for the new version or if I should just let that be a next years project.

jeffu231
08-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Days.....

jchuchla
08-10-2016, 06:34 PM
As Jeff said it will be within days. Only one bug was reported and already fixed since my last post yesterday.
I would definately suggest starting this year with the new version. If you can't wait any longer, use the dev build posted today. It's effectively the same as what the release will be just with a different version number and different installer. None of the remaining bugs are serious or obvious or they would have surfaced by now.

--Jon Chuchla--

algerdes
08-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Are we there yet?

jchuchla
08-10-2016, 06:55 PM
....I'm gonna turn this car around right now

--Jon Chuchla--

jeffu231
08-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Geoff found a minor bug in the fireworks that I am going to include because it is a very simple fix. That is building now. Once that is done I will create new RC builds and give those a short test period and then I think we will be good to go. So most likely this time tomorrow night we will make it official.

jchuchla
08-11-2016, 12:44 AM
For all those testing, the RC build has been updated with two minor fixes. You can download a fresh copy with the same link to test it out.

--Jon Chuchla--

evilfish
08-11-2016, 02:46 AM
So most likely this time tomorrow night we will make it official.

Why am I jumping up and down like a child waiting for Santa to come through the door?

But seriously. You guys rock, testers to! I will wait for the release :biggrin2:

Spyder
08-11-2016, 09:15 AM
You won't be dissapointed. Not found anything out of the ordinary but haven't played with it as much as others. I'll throw everything I can think of at it for a couple of hours tonight.

TazChaLet
08-11-2016, 10:18 AM
yeah kinda hard too try everything and find problems sometimes it is working but settings dont do what they should do doing effects on single elements may work but not work right on a group the one thing I had found was the colors for groups of dif colors didn't work proper but they fixed it and now it works right still trying too test other things one thing you may wanna watch is the speed of elements seems like last night with new version with old sequences they were running faster than they actually had been in the older release
You won't be dissapointed. Not found anything out of the ordinary but haven't played with it as much as others. I'll throw everything I can think of at it for a couple of hours tonight.

Popo-B-Trippin
08-11-2016, 10:29 AM
So I'm one of those freaks that starts sequencing in January... I'm just about done with my 10 songs. So the question from me is will this new version screw up stuff I've done in the current version?

TazChaLet
08-11-2016, 10:38 AM
I have been working on mine some are old ones from 2 yrs ago that were reworked last yr and they seem too be working they have followed me through all the dev builds
So I'm one of those freaks that starts sequencing in January... I'm just about done with my 10 songs. So the question from me is will this new version screw up stuff I've done in the current version?

jchuchla
08-11-2016, 11:41 AM

We worked pretty hard to prevent problems with forward migrations. It should carry forward fine.
However I would certainly recommend backing up your whole profile folder and the finished sequences to some other location just to be safe. Once you open the profile and sequences in the newer version, the old version will no longer open them.

--Jon Chuchla--

Popo-B-Trippin
08-11-2016, 11:51 AM
We worked pretty hard to prevent problems with forward migrations. It should carry forward fine.
However I would certainly recommend backing up your whole profile folder and the finished sequences to some other location just to be safe. Once you open the profile and sequences in the newer version, the old version will no longer open them.

Good to know.

Thanks!

algerdes
08-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Are we there yet?

jeffu231
08-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Are we there yet?

James had to stop at the rest area and found a bug to play with. We squashed it and are back on the road with an updated RC build. GPS says we are a few hours away.

TazChaLet
08-11-2016, 09:06 PM
I am checking things out when I can but Olympics getting in the way

James had to stop at the rest area and found a bug to play with. We squashed it and are back on the road with an updated RC build. GPS says we are a few hours away.

TazChaLet
08-11-2016, 09:10 PM
just downloaded it looks good now working way I thought once I change the group level :thup2:

jchuchla
08-11-2016, 11:26 PM
are we there yet?

YES! We are FINALLY there.

algerdes
08-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Can we go home. There is no wifi here. :(