PDA

View Full Version : 12mm RGB Wireframe question

MindTrik
07-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Quick question....for those of you using 12mm pixels on your wireframes. Are you laying the pixel on its side and zip tying them so that the viewer sees the pixel from the side? Would you rather mount them so the pixel faces out?

algerdes
07-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Last year I outfitted 4 Sally trees with WS2811 bullets, laying them on their side and zip tying them on.
This worked, but I wondered if I could turn them and face them forward, how much of a better view they would have been.

Do I feel a new type of clip coming on, with this request?

didjareally
07-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Last year I outfitted 4 Sally trees with WS2811 bullets, laying them on their side and zip tying them on.
This worked, but I wondered if I could turn them and face them forward, how much of a better view they would have been.

Do I feel a new type of clip coming on, with this request?

A knockoff pixclip id guess, without using a flexible filament im curious the method going to use to keep the clips from sliding along flat stock. The big perk to the pixclips is the uv semi flex material

MindTrik
07-30-2016, 12:36 AM
It's fairly easy to get a snap fit. Tested on 3/16 round stock and it doesn't move. Flat bar would be similar. If they last as long as my store bought clips..I'm happy. I'm also not going to copy the pixclip. Hopefully someone will start selling the pixclip again...otherwise that handy dandy flexible UV plastic ain't going to do you much good.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

jcasterline
07-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Ive been wondering what to use, also. I've even considered pipe straps.
Drilling holes in pvc.
1" x 1" wood strips.
What have y'all tried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerH
07-30-2016, 08:41 AM
I've only made one wire frame candle so far an zip tied the pixels flat. I liked the way each pixel illuminated the adjacent pixel. I also use plastic fencing from HD. The spacing is 1/2" x 3/4" which is perfect for pixels. I've made two 3' x 5' props with the fencing. I'm using 100 pixels on the first and 200 on the other. Both look nice. I guess it depends how much detail you need in your prop. Laying the pixels down looks good but limits the detail you can create.

MindTrik
07-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Something like this.... Basically just clamps the 12mm pixel. It prints without having to use any bridging, etc. I also did one of the clip system that Wolfie and I are working on.

algerdes
07-30-2016, 11:03 AM
I don't have a drawing program here (or anywhere for that matter)so I can't put together my idea, but could you do a 90 degree on the grip part (on the rod)?
I'm afraid that the pixel would be sticking out too far if directly from the prop. (Perhaps not, but...)

MindTrik
07-30-2016, 11:11 AM
I see what you're saying, absolutely. In a situation like this, trying to get the pixels to point straight out...flat bar is going to be a better solution just because no matter how tight that clip is...it's going to want to roll. I will do one with a flat bar attachment point too.

jnealand
07-30-2016, 11:39 AM
I have found that viewing nodes from the side is just fine. I have had 12mm nodes hanging from my eves and pointing to the ground for 4 years. They are plenty bright and the effort to make them point to the road would be a lot of effort for little gain in my opinion. In fact looking a videos and pictures of the front of my house where I do have nodes pointing toward the street on my porch columns shows very little difference in brightness at least to my eye.

jcasterline
07-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Share any pictures you might have, please. If it looks good, that will be enough to convince me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MindTrik
07-30-2016, 11:44 AM
I haven't used them so I'm not sure what the difference is. However all of the pixels have a recommended viewing angle. Might not be a big difference though. My original plan was to just mount them with the wireframe. That clip is way easier because it's just a simple C clip. Options...options

jnealand
07-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Here are two photos from last year with all red and all green. The eaves are all nodes hanging straight down and those nodes are 4 years old. The nodes on the windows are in Boscoyo chromatrim and face towards the street, the ones on the porch are in a pvc pipe and all face the street. Notice also that the lights on the sides of the trees are all facing right or left and you can still see all of them clearly. The arches are also nodes in landscape edging and all face the street. I agree that facing the street would be desired, the point I'm making is that there is very little to be gained by putting in a lot of work to force node to point to the viewer.

MindTrik
07-30-2016, 12:29 PM
No offense...but there is a brightness difference between the eaves and Windows...could be because they're older. You can tell the difference in the tree too as it moves around. Again..there's no perfect lighting angle really as our lights are viewed from different angles anyway. Up close and in person it probably doesn't matter. I'm just procrastinating sequencing right now and giving myself options I may never use. Just thought I'd share.

MindTrik
07-30-2016, 12:35 PM
I think for mounting 12mm pixels on a house or window...the best option is boscoyo strips mounted to 1/2" PVC...then hung/mounted however you like. I was just goofing around with wireframe mounting ideas.

jcasterline
07-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks for pictures and thoughts.
I'm putting my efforts toward my mega tree, right now. I want 16 or 20 strands of 50, on a half tree(180 degree).
Since they seem ok laying down...
What if... I rip pieces of pvc in half, half circles, place the pixels in the half circle, then either zip them in place or clear tape across the top.
If I were to use the strip type pixels, those could lay on the outside of the curve...

MindTrik
07-30-2016, 02:25 PM
I would buy Boscoyo strips...pop them through the hole and go. I zip tie my Boscoyo strips with PixaBulbs to my topper and the base...just hanging. In then take paracord and weave it across to keep it from flapping

didjareally
07-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Here are two photos from last year with all red and all green. The eaves are all nodes hanging straight down and those nodes are 4 years old. The nodes on the windows are in Boscoyo chromatrim and face towards the street, the ones on the porch are in a pvc pipe and all face the street. Notice also that the lights on the sides of the trees are all facing right or left and you can still see all of them clearly. The arches are also nodes in landscape edging and all face the street. I agree that facing the street would be desired, the point I'm making is that there is very little to be gained by putting in a lot of work to force node to point to the viewer.

The only thing noticeable is the pixels that are out on the megatree :razz: If you hadn't mentioned the other stuff, I would have never known. Thanks for sharing the info

jnealand
07-31-2016, 09:14 PM
The only thing noticeable is the pixels that are out on the megatree :razz: If you hadn't mentioned the other stuff, I would have never known. Thanks for sharing the info

Fortunately those pixels did not go out until after Christmas. And I still have not fixed them, but that strip is laying right on the floor where I can see it as I type.

algerdes
07-31-2016, 11:22 PM
You too, Jim? I'm still looking at the 4 "fish hub" toppers that failed during the rains the day-after-Christmas. It must be some sort of bug going 'round. :)

rainyoregonchristmas
08-01-2016, 03:05 AM
For pixels out, you need Pixclip 90's. When I can get them back, I don't know, hopefully soon.

scootchu
08-01-2016, 12:24 PM
On my wire frame stars on top of my two mega trees I used a standard wire frame clip from Christmas-LEDs.com and they work well. They may pop off when transporting or un/packing, but they stayed on fine through the season and through some pretty high winds. The big star used Boscoyo Chroma-trim strips

MindTrik
08-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Those aren't going to work with 12mm pixels

scootchu
08-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Those aren't going to work with 12mm pixels

Hmmmm you should tell my 12mm pixels that. LOL Cause that's what I'm using.

MindTrik
08-01-2016, 12:41 PM
They clip on? Those look like standard 3/16" to ICAN clips....you just zip tying to them?

scootchu
08-01-2016, 12:47 PM
They are 1/4" to incandescent, but the 12mm nodes will fit and they are pretty snug. I went the wire tie route with wire frame "Fa-La-La's" and it was a nightmare, wound up wrapping with electrical tape. Bought these clips last year and replaced the LED's on my Fa-La-La's and thought I wonder if they'll fit 12mm nodes on my stars and they did. I can send you a couple if you want to try them. IF I can find the bag of 1000. :)

I'll see if I can get to the stars in the shed and take a pic for you.

MindTrik
08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Is there a complete bite on the 12mm pixel?...or are you pinching the silicone jacket? Or are you clipping the wires wrapped with tape?

scootchu
08-01-2016, 12:54 PM
I'll have to look, but I believe it fits right at the indentation or near that. I thought I took a picture last year. I just whipped them up and used ESPixelsticks to run them.

didjareally
08-01-2016, 01:11 PM
On my wire frame stars on top of my two mega trees I used a standard wire frame clip from Christmas-LEDs.com and they work well. They may pop off when transporting or un/packing, but they stayed on fine through the season and through some pretty high winds. The big star used Boscoyo Chroma-trim strips

Yup, looks just like what I printed last week, pixels snap right in and don't budge

scootchu
08-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Pardon the rust. I whipped these up in the 11th hour.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160801/d925855d6ef19f42d23b04f360557162.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160801/eaec35b9baa99e7bdcdd1ab060c4714c.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RogerH
09-08-2016, 12:11 PM
I need some clips like that. I need them to clip onto 9 ga wire. I will need to print up a couple hundred for the ghost frames I'm going to build this week.

MindTrik
09-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Try this Roger...might need adjustments...let me know http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1760065

Wolfie
09-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Bad link Kevin.

MindTrik
09-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Try now

Wolfie
09-08-2016, 12:33 PM
I need some clips like that. I need them to clip onto 9 ga wire. I will need to print up a couple hundred for the ghost frames I'm going to build this week.

If you can put a set of calipers on your wire (or drop a inch or so of it off at the house one day), I can get you something to print I am sure.

MindTrik
09-08-2016, 12:35 PM
If it follows standards...the diameter is .11440"

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wolfie
09-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Heh. kevin got a design up.

I was thinking of one similar but I was going to put a wire channel under the clip so the wires are held in place too. but that one works.

MindTrik
09-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Adding one with a wire channel, GOOD IDEA! Use same link as above.

Wolfie
09-08-2016, 12:43 PM
https://www.tedpella.com/company_html/wire_gauge.htm
http://www.louispage.com/blog/bid/7075/Understanding-Wire-Gauges-Used-In-Welded-Woven-Wire-Mesh-Fence

Those seem to indicate 0.1483".

Electrical wire gauge is different than steel wire gauge. Electrical is 0.1144 for 9ga. Fabrication wire is 0.1483 so if you made your clip for 9ga electrical (0.1144) it might be too tight for 9ga construction/fabrication (0.1483).

So it depends on whether his "9ga" wire size is using AWG or fabrication gauge size ratings. Thats why I asked if he could throw a calipers on it to know for sure which one.

RogerH
09-08-2016, 12:45 PM
I'll give it a try tonight. I don't have anything to measure the wire thickness. But I could drop off a piece of wire in Waukesha on my lunch hour tomorrow if it's off to much.

Wolfie
09-08-2016, 12:48 PM
I'll give it a try tonight. I don't have anything to measure the wire thickness. But I could drop off a piece of wire in Waukesha on my lunch hour tomorrow if it's off to much.

Ok, you got my work address? I will bring the calipers with me to work tomorrow.

RogerH
09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Kevin, I tried out the 2 clips. The second clip was very close but it looks like the diameter of the wire frame is going to be a problem. There's just not enough to grab on to. The pixel won't stay in place. With the combination of the 8 min printing time and the loose pixel wires, it makes more sense to me to just zip tie the pixels and wires to the wire frame. I appreciate the time you took to make the mod for me. On a wireframe, I don't like seeing dangling wires. There's just no faster/nicer way to add pixels to a wireframe than plain old zip ties. Thanks!

MindTrik
09-08-2016, 09:24 PM
No problem

rainyoregonchristmas
09-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Pixclips would work. The paracord feature fits a 0.114 minus gage pin just fine. The clips are in production now, I have an ETA on completion, but not a definite date of when I can ship them. Hopefully by months end. The attached photo shows a 12mm pixel, a pixclip and a 0.114 gage pin. Also the wires can tuck into the 0.5000.250" slot for rectangular bar stock to keep things neat and trim.33544

rainyoregonchristmas
09-09-2016, 07:31 PM

MindTrik
09-10-2016, 12:26 AM
Yeah...a little mod and widening of the clip I sent you and it would work

OriginalHotrodder
11-28-2016, 02:28 AM
@MindTrik, is that your pixel clip on Thingiverse? If so, thank you. I just printed one out of clear eSun PETG and it works perfectly for my wireframe deer. I'm not sure how well the PETG will hold up to UV but I plan on misting the pixels and clips with 303 Aerospace protectant (https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Protectant-Trigger-Sprayer/dp/B000XBCURW).