PDA

View Full Version : Will These work?

lightsonmontague
07-20-2016, 10:56 AM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDW6D7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If so what do i need to do to install? is there a driver?

MartinMueller2003
07-20-2016, 11:09 AM
As long as they say that linux supports them, you should be OK. Personally I tend to purchase the versions with the long antenna on them. I seem to get better range from them.

lightsonmontague
07-20-2016, 11:12 AM
There are listed as compatible. So on a pi3 is there anything I need to do or just plug it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tucsonlights
07-20-2016, 11:26 AM
There are listed as compatible. So on a pi3 is there anything I need to do or just plug it in?

I use the Edimax EW-7811Un on all my raspis and BBB. On the Raspi turn it off plug in the usb wifi then boot. Go to fpp/ and go to networking and set up your ssid and password. Click update setting and reboot Pi and you should be good to go.

didjareally
07-20-2016, 11:35 AM

I thought the pi3 had built in wireless?

lightsonmontague
07-20-2016, 11:38 AM
I thought the pi3 had built in wireless?

It does but the range sucks. I have mine about maybe 15ft from my router and it won't connect.

stallionent
07-20-2016, 11:50 AM
I use Edimax on my PI B+

MrSmoofy
07-20-2016, 12:23 PM
I'll 2nd the Edimax product works great on all my Pi's

MartinMueller2003
07-20-2016, 12:47 PM
plug it in and configure it. If you are running FPP, then go to the network configuration page, select the wlan interface and give it the info needed to connect to your AP.

If you are running some other distribution, then you need to follow the directions appropriate for that distribution.

lightsonmontague
07-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Do I have to disable the pi3 wifi?

MartinMueller2003
07-20-2016, 12:54 PM
If you do not configure it, then it should not connect and will not do much (except consume power). If you want to save power, then yes you should disable it.

lightsonmontague
07-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Thank you very much for the info.

Wolfie
07-20-2016, 03:28 PM
If you do not configure it, then it should not connect and will not do much (except consume power). If you want to save power, then yes you should disable it.

I should think if it has RF output even when not configured then you should disable it due to its proximity to the other Wifi adapter. Thinking the RF from the unused wifi adapter could reduce reception range for the one in use.

MartinMueller2003
07-20-2016, 04:37 PM
In the 802.11 protocol, the end station "STA" (that is what the PI is when not in AP mode) does not transmit if it has not been configured with information about an AP. It listens for a beacon(s) from nearby APs. If configured to talk to one of those APs, the STA will respond to the beacon and establish a security association. If not, the STA just listens and records the beacons in a table. The exception to this is for STAs configured to speak to APs that are configured to not broadcast their SSID. In those cases the STA will send out a periodic request to attach. However, most networks are not configured this way.

Wolfie
07-20-2016, 05:25 PM
k. wasn't sure if the Pi would have the radio on or not. I am not that familiar with the protocol. By the way, my SSID is not broadcast. I know that many others also turn their beacons off. Why make it easier to find you.

My concern was that many recommend you place your device (phone/tablet) in airplane more (no cell radio) and turn wifi off unless needed when being used with a drone so as not to interfere with the 2.4g video downlink from AC to RC. I thought that perhaps the same situation might be present here with a 2nd radio source in close proximity.

MartinMueller2003
07-20-2016, 07:08 PM
your telephone is activly transmitting every few seconds. tha can cause issues.

fyi: no beacon means i need three extra packets to break the network. the bssid is the critical peice of info and that is easy to sniff.

Wolfie
07-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Woah! You changed your sig! Nice :)

Yea, turning off the SSID broadcast does not stop anyone from getting in who wishes to try any more than locking your car does. But it keeps the door handle checkers (punks walking through lots just lifting handles to find unlocked cars quickly) moving on by. Its simply another layer on the onion.

lightsonmontague
07-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Ok so I did a fresh install of fpp. It sees the dongle but won't connect using it.
Edit I can connect using the onboard wifi to connect to my network. But when I remove the settings and try and use the dongle it won't connect.