PDA

View Full Version : Exciting dev build, but be careful

jchuchla
07-18-2016, 09:46 PM
Tonight's dev build (179 and 180) will contain the bulk of the engine performance work we've been working on since November. It also contains the new layering system that we previewed at expo.
This build introduces changes to your profile that are NOT backwards compatible. Please make a copy of your profile before using this build. Your profile and sequences should migrate forward with no issues, but if you have any, we want to hear about it in detail.
This build will result in very significant performance gains. At expo, I demonstrated a 55,000 channel display (thanks James) with little to no lag on a 5 year old laptop running on battery.
If you read the build notes, you'll see a lot of little goodies in this build. We'll be talking a lot about these things soon. But I just wanted to make a post right away about the backwards incompatible nature of this build.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TazChaLet
07-18-2016, 10:15 PM
nice Jon saving my profile and downloading now

jchuchla
07-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Well I think you may be the very first person using this from the installer (considering it's less than 10 minutes old) I'll pass it on and find out.

--Jon Chuchla--

TazChaLet
07-18-2016, 10:20 PM
I had vixen open from earlier and forgot too close it
Well I think you may be the very first person using this from the installer (considering it's less than 10 minutes old) I'll pass it on and find out.

--Jon Chuchla--

schuricg
07-18-2016, 10:43 PM
The DevBuild wants to install to a different /Vixen Development Build and not the main Vixen build location. I assume this is correct and opening sequences from the old directory is the plan?

jeffu231
07-18-2016, 11:03 PM
Dev builds have a different install location than release builds to differentiate them, so that is normal. FYI, this was a 2 part merge. #179 has the performance and layering work in it. #180 which just completed adds the high DPI scaling changes.

Jeff

jchuchla
07-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Correct. The installer for the dev builds is set up to install in a separate location so you can have parallel installations.
The program folder is a separate thing from data folder. It will use whatever profile you already have set up. That's why I made the warning. After using this build, You won't be able to open this profile in the older release version.
And remember, this is a dev build, not meant for general consumption. But there's plenty of DIY tinkerers out there who can use it and give us input as we prep for a release.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
07-18-2016, 11:06 PM
I had vixen open from earlier and forgot too close it

Does that mean it installed fine when you closed the other version?

--Jon Chuchla--

TazChaLet
07-18-2016, 11:09 PM
yeah Jon once I looked at start bar and seen vixen open down there I closed and it installed fine now I need too learn how too use this layer stuff
Does that mean it installed fine when you closed the other version?

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
07-18-2016, 11:24 PM
I knew I should have recorded that session at expo.
The layer system is actually pretty simple. There's a layers pane where you define layers and give them names and select the mixing filter for each. You can drag this list to reorder. Then you assign effects to a layer. Right click and use the context menu to assign the layer. The layer assignment shows in the hover info popup.
Layers combine top down. All sequences have a default layer that's always at the bottom. If you dont assign a layer, they go in the default layer. This works like it always have. When more than one effect is in the same layer, it combines like it always did, highest value wins. But when effects are on different layers, it uses the mixing filter you defined for that layer to modify the mixing logic.
I'll be explaining each one in more detail soon. But for now, most people using dev builds should be experienced users and know how to just play with it and get the feel for it quickly.

--Jon Chuchla--

mildog
07-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Hi Jon,
Any changes or additions to custom modeling?

jchuchla
07-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Not yet. Darren was working on that and got sidetracked with life. Though we're going to look into that very soon and see if someone else can pick up on that and finish it. Probably not for the upcoming release, but hopefully in a subsequent update.

--Jon Chuchla--

mildog
07-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks Jon
I look forward to trying the new dev release.

MartinMueller2003
07-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Just imported my newest sequence and I was finally able to see the preview without stuttering. It was a wonderful thing to see. I have some cleanup to do but it looks great.

brettjm
07-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Dev build 180 is locking up on me. It is happening if I have the effect preview on and select more than 1 effect on the timeline. It will not recover, I left it overnight and still had to use the task manager to close it. Happens on 179 and 180 and it doesn't have to be more than 1 effect. Anytime I have the effect preview on and click on an effect it locks up.

jchuchla
07-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Build 181 fixes a few bugs found today. Old spins with the default white may open transplant instead of white. That was corrected. It should never have worked in the first place but did because if a happy accident.
The second bug had to do with color smoothing in a gradient. When a gradient was applied across the duration of an effect, it was staggering it across the elements in a group instead of aligning it like its supposed to. That's fixed now.

--Jon Chuchla--

TazChaLet
07-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Jon I have 4 items 2 green 2 red I used too put a pulse on the group and select the red and the green and each one would light the right color now they all only light 1 color
this is a short video showing you what I mean

https://vimeo.com/175644285

jeffu231
07-20-2016, 11:40 PM
Jon I have 4 items 2 green 2 red I used too put a pulse on the group and select the red and the green and each one would light the right color now they all only light 1 color
this is a short video showing you what I mean

https://vimeo.com/175644285

I have this fixed and it will be in a upcoming build.

Jeff

jchuchla
07-20-2016, 11:40 PM
That looks like a valid bug. Can you ticket it. I don't think we'll need the profile, this looks easy to replicate.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
07-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Nevermind on that ticket then James.

--Jon Chuchla--

brettjm
07-21-2016, 07:42 AM
So I downloaded build 182 and tried to preview an effect and it still locks up on me. I tried different effects even just a red set level and it still locks up. any suggestions? Just tried again and it will preview the first effect I try but the second I click anywhere in the sequence editor again then it locks up. If I just play the sequence it will preview fine (with no lag which is beautiful) but not when editing. 64 bit ver.

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 08:16 AM
So I downloaded build 182 and tried to preview an effect and it still locks up on me. I tried different effects even just a red set level and it still locks up. any suggestions?

Create a bug ticket and attach the profile with steps to reproduce and I will take a look. There are no known issues with the preview at this time so need to see what is causing your issue.

Jeff

brettjm
07-21-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm at work now, I will do that when I get home this afternoon.

brettjm
07-21-2016, 10:36 AM
What artifacts do you need when I zip my profile. The file is to large to upload if I leave everything checked?

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 10:50 AM
What artifacts do you need when I zip my profile. The file is to large to upload if I leave everything checked?

The core profile , logs and just the sequence that exhibits the issue. I don't need any audio. You may have to zip it by hand as the profile wizard will not prune it down that much. If you have Dropbox or something like that, you can link to that. As long as you can get it uploaded somewhere I can d/l it.

brettjm
07-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Ticket created, I think I attached the correct file if not let me know and I will do it again.

TazChaLet
07-21-2016, 06:42 PM
did the problem with the pulse I had found get into 182 release?
I have this fixed and it will be in a upcoming build.

Jeff

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 06:47 PM

It was not in that build. I should be able to push that fix later this evening.

Jeff

TazChaLet
07-21-2016, 07:14 PM
ok just downloaded it and still had that problem just wanted too make sure it wasnt something I was doing no problem

It was not in that build. I should be able to push that fix later this evening.

Jeff

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Ticket created, I think I attached the correct file if not let me know and I will do it again.

That zip file was very small and didn't have any config or sequences in it. Can you try to zip and upload it again?

brettjm
07-21-2016, 08:56 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l7og2mf41md23m6/AADnqunh2yW_uwN_f41jZgwoa?dl=0

Here is a link to my dropbox profile zip.
I installed 182 on my laptop and it worked fine there but not on my sequencing computer?

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 09:02 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l7og2mf41md23m6/AADnqunh2yW_uwN_f41jZgwoa?dl=0

Here is a link to my dropbox profile zip.
I installed 182 on my laptop and it worked fine there but not on my sequencing computer?

Ok, downloading that. If the same profile works on another machine then it may not be a profile issue. While I am doing that, try to uninstall Vixen from the computer that has the issue. Go to the install folder in program files afterwards and make sure it is completely removed. Then reinstall and see if that makes any difference.

brettjm
07-21-2016, 09:16 PM
It was not the same profile on the laptop. Just uninstalled all versions of vixen and reinstalled 183 and it still locks up.

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 09:32 PM
It was not the same profile on the laptop. Just uninstalled all versions of vixen and reinstalled 183 and it still locks up.

Can you try the same profile on the laptop? When you uninstalled, did you verify that there were no files left over in the install folder? Just want to make sure it was a clean install and there are no remnants of some older test build.

I just played with a couple of your sequences in the profile you gave me and it was working fine. There is a Carol of bells dubstep that had a recent date so I primarily used that one. I was trying several effects on the house and arches all worked fine in several combinations.

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 09:36 PM

James, This fix is in #183.

#184 has the layering enabled in the effect preview. VIX-1048

brettjm
07-21-2016, 09:37 PM
not sure what you mean by install folder? I went into the program files directory and uninstalled all previous versions of vixen and dev. builds using the uninst application within the vixen folders. I will try that profile on my laptop, may take a few min.

jeffu231
07-21-2016, 09:49 PM
not sure what you mean by install folder? I went into the program files directory and uninstalled all previous versions of vixen and dev. builds using the uninst application within the vixen folders. I will try that profile on my laptop, may take a few min.

Under Program files there is a folder called "Vixen Development Build" Delete that entire folder after you uninstall to make sure everything was uninstalled.

brettjm
07-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Yes, everything was uninstalled. Maybe I should uninstall build 183 that I just installed and go back to 3.2u2 and see if that is still working.

brettjm
07-21-2016, 10:13 PM
I am having some problems getting that profile loaded on my laptop but I uninstalled everything again and installed 3.2u2 and it worked fine so I installed DevBuild 178 and it also worked fine. Then I installed DevBuild 184 and opened a sequence, waited till everything was rendered, turned on the effect preview and clicked on an effect. It showed on the preview for about a half second and froze up again... ???

jchuchla
07-21-2016, 10:33 PM
Are you using the 32 or 64 bit build? On which Windows version?

--Jon Chuchla--

brettjm
07-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Are you using the 32 or 64 bit build? On which Windows version?

--Jon Chuchla--

64 bit win 7 pro.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

codec101
07-22-2016, 01:13 AM
First off, thank you for all the hard work and time spent on Vixen, this will be my 3rd year using Vixen!

1st:

I've got a bug where while in the sequence editor, if I minimize it and then close Vixen, next time I you try to open or start a new sequence it crashes Vixen. To repair it I have to delete the C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Vixen directory.

(Using #184)

2nd:

I am assuming that we "should" be able to run parallel installations of Vixen, the release and the DEV build, hence the separate installation directories. I have both V3.2u2 (153) and #184 installed. I have backed up profiles and even made a separate profile for Halloween 2016 - DEV.

I am having an issue with after having run the DEV build, closing and running the released build, the sequence editor will crash when either trying to open an existing sequence or creating a new sequence. This doesn't seem to be profile related, I have only one profile for the DEV build, haven't touched the other profiles while in the DEV build.

I have tracked the problem to TimedSequenceEditorForm.xml in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Vixen on my system, while the actual program file directories are different, this seems to be shared between both versions. After deleting TimedSequenceEditorForm.xml, the release build functions as normal. The problem can then be duplicated by again closing the release build, opening the DEV build and going into a sequence, closing Vixen completely and restarting the release build followed by trying to open the sequence editor.

3rd:
Also I noticed on the DEV build when opening the intensity window it spans the entire height of the screen (on my laptop) pushing the ok / cancel buttons below and behind the windows taskbar. There doesn't seem to be a way to resize this window like I could in the previous release. Wouldn't call it a bug but a minor inconvenience easily circumvented by hiding my taskbar or having to actually sequence on my desktop which is much easier anyway with 4 monitors.

Again thanks for the hard work and I am LOVING the new possibilities with the layers feature!! Any other info I can give just name it.

jeffu231
07-22-2016, 06:37 AM
64 bit win 7 pro.

The next step will be to capture a dump or two. You will need to get it to hang and then go to task manager on the process tab and find the Vixen process. Instead of killing it, right click and choose create dump. Note where it indicates that file is and the name. Navigate there and zip that file and provide it. If you can get a couple of those, I can analyze that and see if it gives me any clues.

Jeff

jeffu231
07-22-2016, 06:44 AM
First off, thank you for all the hard work and time spent on Vixen, this will be my 3rd year using Vixen!

1st:

I've got a bug where while in the sequence editor, if I minimize it and then close Vixen, next time I you try to open or start a new sequence it crashes Vixen. To repair it I have to delete the C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Vixen directory.

(Using #184)

2nd:

I am assuming that we "should" be able to run parallel installations of Vixen, the release and the DEV build, hence the separate installation directories. I have both V3.2u2 (153) and #184 installed. I have backed up profiles and even made a separate profile for Halloween 2016 - DEV.

I am having an issue with after having run the DEV build, closing and running the released build, the sequence editor will crash when either trying to open an existing sequence or creating a new sequence. This doesn't seem to be profile related, I have only one profile for the DEV build, haven't touched the other profiles while in the DEV build.

I have tracked the problem to TimedSequenceEditorForm.xml in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Vixen on my system, while the actual program file directories are different, this seems to be shared between both versions. After deleting TimedSequenceEditorForm.xml, the release build functions as normal. The problem can then be duplicated by again closing the release build, opening the DEV build and going into a sequence, closing Vixen completely and restarting the release build followed by trying to open the sequence editor.

3rd:
Also I noticed on the DEV build when opening the intensity window it spans the entire height of the screen (on my laptop) pushing the ok / cancel buttons below and behind the windows taskbar. There doesn't seem to be a way to resize this window like I could in the previous release. Wouldn't call it a bug but a minor inconvenience easily circumvented by hiding my taskbar or having to actually sequence on my desktop which is much easier anyway with 4 monitors.

Again thanks for the hard work and I am LOVING the new possibilities with the layers feature!! Any other info I can give just name it.

The file you are referring to is the window locations file. It is not compatible between the new and old due to the new layering window. So to switch back and forth you need to delete or version this file yourself.

I'll look at the minimized thing. I thought we fixed that a while back.

I'll also see what I can do about the curve form. It does not resize well and I think it was made a fixed window to avoid the bad resize behavior. Can you create a ticket for that to keep it on my radar?

codec101
07-22-2016, 04:56 PM
The file you are referring to is the window locations file. It is not compatible between the new and old due to the new layering window. So to switch back and forth you need to delete or version this file yourself.

I'll look at the minimized thing. I thought we fixed that a while back.

I'll also see what I can do about the curve form. It does not resize well and I think it was made a fixed window to avoid the bad resize behavior. Can you create a ticket for that to keep it on my radar?

I've created two separate tickets. One for the minimize crash after I duplicated the same crash on my desktop using the latest 184 build. One for the curve form height but labeled it as improvement as I don't see it as a bug if it's working as intended. It's just a minor inconvenience if using laptop to sequence (which I do when I'm at work.)

jeffu231
07-22-2016, 05:56 PM
I've created two separate tickets. One for the minimize crash after I duplicated the same crash on my desktop using the latest 184 build. One for the curve form height but labeled it as improvement as I don't see it as a bug if it's working as intended. It's just a minor inconvenience if using laptop to sequence (which I do when I'm at work.)

Thanks. Those should not be a huge deal to fix, so I'll probably get to them in the next week or so.

brettjm
07-22-2016, 08:38 PM
well, I'm at a loss. I have done everything short of formatting my hard drive (don't have a copy of windows 7 or I probably would have). All builds from 179 on lock up on the first mouse click after I turn the effect preview on. Works great on my laptop but I don't like to sequence on that. If anyone has any further ideas I am willing to try them. I have uninstalled all vixen and done a fresh install, did a virus check, updated my drivers for my video card, I'm stumped.

jchuchla
07-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Have we looked at your logs yet? If Jeff can't reproduce your crash, then he hasn't generated any errors in his copy of your profile.

--Jon Chuchla--

brettjm
07-22-2016, 09:55 PM
Yea, i sent him my profile and he cant recreate it. Must have something to do with my computer?

jeffu231
07-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Yea, i sent him my profile and he cant recreate it. Must have something to do with my computer?

See my post above about creating a dump when it is locked up. Stick with me, we will figure it out.

brettjm
07-22-2016, 11:43 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fz03zhqcko2vin/VixenProfile2016.zip?dl=0

I guess I have been rude, I never thanked you guys for taking the time to help me with this problem and all the work you do on the software. Thank you, I do appreciate it!

Here is a link to a dump file.

brettjm
07-22-2016, 11:52 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcz7vh2f8l9d7s3/VixenApplication.zip?dl=0

Sorry that was the wrong file. Here is the correct one.

jchuchla
07-23-2016, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the thanks. We're particularly interested in bugs at this stage of the game because these dev builds are for testing. And it's cases like yours where we can find these machine compatibility problems and fix them early.
For reference though, you probably want to post your dump links in the bug ticket, they actually contain a lot of detailed information about everything going on in your PC at the time the crash happened. A bug ticket isn't completely protected, but it gets a lot less exposure than here in the forum. And after Jeff gets the copy downloaded, you'll probably want to remove the file or deactivate the sharing of the Dropbox link.

--Jon Chuchla--

brettjm
07-23-2016, 12:12 AM
Will do, thanks.

codec101
07-23-2016, 04:09 AM
I am about mid-way through sequencing a new song using the DEV build with some lipsync and the new layers feature added to some effects. So far no other hiccups, the effects preview is working flawlessly for me so far no matter if I select a lipsync mouth position or a few elements with layers and without layers.

I did notice when scrolling back and forth on timeline in the sequence it automatically changes the saved status to unsaved even right after having saved it. I also noticed that what it's doing is actually saving your position within the sequence so when you close it and come back to it, it automatically opens to where you left off.

Nice touch guys!

Would it be possible with auto-save checked to automatically save it if it's only a positional change after you release the scrollbar? It always makes me uneasy when I see that * by the title of the sequence for fear of losing something in the event of a crash so I find myself saving it every time I scroll back and forth.

jeffu231
07-23-2016, 09:38 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcz7vh2f8l9d7s3/VixenApplication.zip?dl=0

Sorry that was the wrong file. Here is the correct one.

I got the file and there are a few clues as to where it is hanging. If you would capture one more so i can see if it is always in the same place, I would appreciate it.

brettjm
07-23-2016, 10:50 AM
I removed that file from dropbox and here is another one. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu3txqdmvxxp1ln/VixenApplication%20%283%29.zip?dl=0

jeffu231
07-23-2016, 04:31 PM
I removed that file from dropbox and here is another one. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu3txqdmvxxp1ln/VixenApplication%20%283%29.zip?dl=0

Got it. I sent you a PM with a test build to try.

jchuchla
07-23-2016, 10:21 PM
There's a series of new builds coming out tonight. The first was a bug fix for the minimize bug found earlier this week. The rest all add new effects. strictly speaking, these are mostly not new effects, but they're native versions of the effects that used to be in the old monolithic nutcracker effect. These have all been made into native vixen effects and most received enhancements along the way. The common enhancements include different direction support, gradient support rather than just simple colors, and a bunch of other odds and ends as well. Your old nutcracker effects will not automatically migrate to use the new ones. They're just a bit too different to do that automatically. But the old nutcracker effects will continue to work. After all of these get merged this will mark the official deprecation of the old nutcracker effect. It won't be removed for a while yet, but we will likely restrict edits and adding new effects of the same type. The new ones will be the only version supported moving forward and will the only versions getting further enhancements.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
07-24-2016, 12:09 AM
So you may wonder, why so many builds? We use an automatic build system. Every time there's a change in the master branch, it kicks off an automated build. This compiles/builds the project, creates the installer, and uploads it to the web site.
We try to keep each piece of work on separate branches using github version control. Each feature is generally done in isolation and then is tested internally and when it meets our basic testing it gets merged into the main branch.
Some branches are much more involved than others. The layer build for example covered a whole lot of ground over many months. It sat in a separate branch for a long time as it got developed. And along the way, other related changes merged into that branch before the whole thing was merged as a single unit into the master.
Things like effects and other modules tend to be more isolated and limited in scope, so they get isolated and merged in small pieces into the master.
It also has something to do with who's working on something and how well versed they are with the whole github system. It's very powerful, but takes a good deal of understanding to use it to its full potential. So consequently some of our devs like to keep it simple and straightforward as opposed to a long running parallel branch.
Smaller specific branches also tie much more neatly into our ticketing system so that we can tie certain merges and builds to specific bug or feature tickets.

--Jon Chuchla--

pcmom
07-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Wow! Huge thanks to the Dev Team! After our extremely stressful 2015 season, we took the last nearly 7 months off from most things Christmas lights related. I've popped in here to DIYC on occasion and here I stop by today and discover all the work the Dev Team has been doing. I just installed build 192 and played our most effect intensive sequence including lip sync and graphics at 3 minutes long and it played via the preview flawlessly - not one pause, delay, hiccup - perfect!

I have a few questions:
-Where can I find the build notes at? The release notes that were included with this dev build appear to only go to 3.2u2.
-Can someone explain how the "layers" work.
-Were any changes done to the show scheduler? We have not gone to FPP yet (need a bridge etc.) so would be nice to not have to use xlights as our player.

Can't believe this will be our 9th year of having a synchronized Christmas display and have used Vixen as our sequencer this entire time!

jchuchla
07-25-2016, 09:51 PM
There aren't really any notes except for those in the merge notes, and those are probably pretty cryptic for a non-dev. Seeing that dev builds aren't releases, we haven't yet made release notes. The features aren't necessarily done yet, we'll be compiling the release notes closer to release time. Alternately, you can do the same thing we do to generate the notes, go to the bug ticket system and do a search for all tickets that have been completed since the 3.2u2 release.
The layer system is still evolving somewhat. The best we have so far for documentation is my post earlier in this thread.
The scheduler has not been touched except for some cosmetic form sizing issues. And there are no plans for further development on the scheduler in the near future. The reality is that most people who want more than the scheduler can handle are already moving to the FPP platform for show playback. However, the performance gains you see in the editor also applies to the scheduler. So aside from the raw memory usage required for scheduling a long show, it will definately play more efficiently and smoothly than last year. Having seen your profile, I'd recommend investing the $40 in a pi and going the FPP route. It would make things a lot smoother for you. At this point in the year, you've got plenty of time to get that configured and get thru the learning curve. (Which is pretty low to begin with)

--Jon Chuchla--

pcmom
07-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Thank you for the quick reply John. I must have missed the layers post, but I'll find it. On the FPP, we'll have to see if bridges are available. Last year there were none to be had. We are still running a lot of legacy controllers which means a lot of universes and the Pi couldn't run it. But we'll do some research and see what we come up with as FPP would be the best scenario.

jchuchla
07-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Last I checked, the pi can run half a million channels, and supports pretty much any hardware you can throw at it. Definitely more than vixen supports. I haven't met a show it couldn't handle.

If you don't find that layer post earlier in this thread let me know. I may be getting my threads confused.

--Jon Chuchla--

scoutcamper
07-25-2016, 10:51 PM
Last I checked, the pi can run half a million channels, and supports pretty much any hardware you can throw at it. Definitely more than vixen supports. I haven't met a show it couldn't handle.

If you don't find that layer post earlier in this thread let me know. I may be getting my threads confused.

--Jon Chuchla--

Pcmom's son and linux expert here!!

Our issue with falcon pi last year was one that was unique and I believe caused by the linux kernel.

As you may or may not remember we use renards that run at 19200 baud, meaning 64 channels per universe to maintain refresh rate. We had 9 universes last year. 9 usb to serials on the pi crashed the USB driver in the kernel. Which led to the FPP not working for us last year. I will be testing the new v1.8 fpp this week to see if the issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved I will do what I can to get the issue resolved with the raspberry pi foundation/kernel maintainers as well as the FPP guys. Last year I simply ran out of time to even try to debug FPP any more, was up against a hard deadline to make it work.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

CaptainMurdoch
07-25-2016, 11:25 PM
As you may or may not remember we use renards that run at 19200 baud, meaning 64 channels per universe to maintain refresh rate. We had 9 universes last year. 9 usb to serials on the pi crashed the USB driver in the kernel. Which led to the FPP not working for us last year. I will be testing the new v1.8 fpp this week to see if the issue is resolved.

The FPP v1.8 SD image is Wheezy with the newer Jessie kernel and firmware files so that may have solved your issue. We upgraded the kernel and firmware to support the newer Pi models but kept the stable wheezy image for v1.x. When we release v2.0, it will be a Jessie based image.

jchuchla
07-25-2016, 11:25 PM
Your case specific issues are outside the scope of this thread. And we can certainly discuss it further but it should be done in a separate thread. But for everyone's benefit, I'll make these comments here:
We're certainly not going to be enhancing the scheduler for the purpose of making poorly designed setups work better. And we're not going to be testing or designing for profiles with more than one or two serial type devices. You should really be looking into correcting the design inefficiencies in your show design. 19,200 is a slow baud rate. You can go much faster without taxing any hardware. With Renard, faster serial means more channels per data bus. More channels per data bus means less USB dongles. You should be able to get hundreds of Renard channels per serial bus.

Pretty much all Renard controllers can also run Dmx hardware. By design, you can run 512 Dmx channels on a single port. You'd only need two Dmx universes to accomplish your 9x64ch Renard setup, and it will refresh much faster as well.
Even if you want to keep 9 serial busses for wiring convenience, you really need to be getting yourself a few bridges to do this for you. 9 USB anything plugged into any one machine is just asking for trouble. A design with more than one or two streaming USB devices needs something other than USB. That won't even work well on a full blown PC with multiple USB host controllers. That's probably why you need to keep your rate so slow. USB itself is your bottleneck.
There's now several products that will serve as sACN to serial bridges to one extent or another. Diyledexpress makes one, but is often not available, but most of the of these products are readily available most of the time throughout the year. Falcon, sandevices, pixlite, and even a few cheap Chinese products (that they shamelessly copied from designs born on this forum)
Bottom line is that it's now July, you've got plenty of time to correct your signal topology.
And even if you want to stick with the slow USB adapters, you can spread them out across several FPPs. The FPP itself can act somewhat like a bridge accepting sACN input and USB Renard output. The trick is keeping the USB devices per host down to one or two. I haven't run the numbers, but this may even be cost comparable to bridge devices.
And lastly, if you believe your scenario is unique, step back and ask yourself why it's so unique and why it needs to be. Usually when I find myself in a unique situation, it's because I didn't bother to step back and look to see if a better way already exists. Which ironically is exactly the reason we're not working on the vixen scheduler anymore.

--Jon Chuchla--

pcmom
07-26-2016, 12:40 AM

Found your post on Layers - Post #10. Good description.

The FPP v1.8 SD image is Wheezy with the newer Jessie kernel and firmware files so that may have solved your issue. We upgraded the kernel and firmware to support the newer Pi models but kept the stable wheezy image for v1.x. When we release v2.0, it will be a Jessie based image.

CaptainMurdoch - good info. Our son is already troubleshooting and this appears to be the info he needs to get our FPP up and running.

Jon - on your last thread - we are aware of our limitations and planned to upgrade via bridges last year but they simply were not available. And of course we are a hybrid display with both traditional incans and Pixels and we continue to grow each year. Just getting started for 2016 after a much needed break, hitting the ground running!

jchuchla
07-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Build 193 brings significant improvements to the preview editor when it comes to working with large matrix type displays. They're no longer clunky and hard to manipulate. This build also incorporates a number of other preview optimizations.
194 is a change in behavior for the new curtain effect. Note that this change may break curtain effects added in the past week or so because it changes how colors are defined. You may need to delete those effects and add them again. We try not to do this often, but it's only been in the dev builds a short while and the enhancements are worth it.
195 is a fix that eliminates the artificial lower limit for matrix sizes in preview. You can now draw very small matrices. This is useful for things like Coro canes where you can make a tall but very narrow matrix to represent it in preview.

--Jon Chuchla--

amps
07-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Thank you so much for implementing layers. It replaces the last feature from Vixen2 that I really truly missed, Boolean Paste. I struggled with the inability to control the intensity of certain effects in V3 and even requested it several times. And now it's all come true! AWESOME!

jchuchla
07-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Build 196 includes more optimizations as well as adding a new effect to Vixen, Plasma. This is patterned off of the effect of the same name in xlights. It's a native vixen effect and adds some additional flexibility and functionality.

--Jon Chuchla--

Spyder
08-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Well I'm certainly a bit late out of the blocks so I will give it a spin. I managed to get 1 song sequenced so far and still haven't ordered my pixels. Just mailed Ray for a quote. Hoping to do 3 window frames and a front porch extension and maybe 2 arches.

Wish me luck!

arw01
08-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Oh out of UK, might give Paul Zhang a ping too, a lot quicker on getting things done and out the door than Ray, but if you want custom, Ray normally won't mess those up as much as Paul's suppliers can.

jchuchla
08-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Build 209 adds some new highly requested audio based effects effects to the main branch. These effects have been around a while in unofficial alpha form and are now tweaked and polished enough to join the main line effects.

This brings us down to 12 more tickets in the queue for merges before release. Some of these may miss the release cutoff. But it gives you the idea on just how much we've been working on. We're already at almost 40 builds since the last release and another 12 to go. Many of these are huge projects, others are smaller and more targeted fixes and additions. But nonetheless, this is probably over 1000 hours of coding going into this release.

--Jon Chuchla--

kwoodard
08-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Jon,

Awesome news. I just downloaded Dev Build 208 last night. I'll grab 209 tonight and play around with it. Can you expand on what the new "audio based effects" are?

jchuchla
08-02-2016, 02:17 PM
The audio based effects are effects that respond to the audio in that place on the timeline. Think of effects that make a string behave like a VU meter or a matrix like a spectrum analyzer. They make the lights respond to the music.
Honestly i haven't worked with them myself in many months and it was Jeff that did the final polish on them recently. So I'm not the best one to explain the details.

--Jon Chuchla--

kwoodard
08-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Jon,

Sounds like some cool effects. I was actually thinking about adding some Pixel columns by my front porch this year (if time permits) and was envisioning these types of effects. I think I'll go ahead and add them into some sequences and play around with them.

Keith

TazChaLet
08-02-2016, 03:15 PM
here is a couple quick video of 2 of the new audio effects

https://vimeo.com/177186177

https://vimeo.com/177185394

codec101
08-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Awesome! I have three columns on the front of my porch, previously the fire effect was the close as I could come to something like that. I'll shall play with those audio based effects tonight!

TazChaLet
08-02-2016, 04:45 PM
I put the effect on each pole separately if I did it on the group it came out dif so you might wanna play with it like you said I didnt relaly play with the setting too figure them out yet
Awesome! I have three columns on the front of my porch, previously the fire effect was the close as I could come to something like that. I'll shall play with those audio based effects tonight!

jeffu231
08-02-2016, 05:46 PM
I put the effect on each pole separately if I did it on the group it came out dif so you might wanna play with it like you said I didnt relaly play with the setting too figure them out yet

The Waveform and the Vertical meter have the depth of effect setting on them so you can tell them at what level to work in your groupings. This should give you options on things like groups of arches, columns, and the like. You can make your whole pixel tree a vertical meter if you want or even a wrap around the tree meter.

TazChaLet
08-02-2016, 06:00 PM
yeah been playing with it just changed the setting on that and like how the tree can do it also

The Waveform and the Vertical meter have the depth of effect setting on them so you can tell them at what level to work in your groupings. This should give you options on things like groups of arches, columns, and the like. You can make your whole pixel tree a vertical meter if you want or even a wrap around the tree meter.

kwoodard
08-04-2016, 08:49 PM
I grabbed the latest dev build tonight (222) and have been playing with quite a few of the new effects. I'm really liking the audio based effects. I haven't started investigating the power of the new layer capabilities, but plan to soon. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the development team. You guys have done an outstanding job and have really put together an absolutely amazing product.

Great job. Thanks a ton!

jeffu231
08-05-2016, 12:07 AM
We are now up to build #228. Includes the last of the new effects. A few more minor bug fixes and smaller features.

Could Vixen 3.3 be right around the corner?.........

jchuchla
08-05-2016, 12:24 AM
As Jeff is hinting, we're getting really close. We've gone thru 49 builds in the last two weeks. That's going to make for a very long list of release notes for vixen 3.3. The last of the features are now in the dev builds. We're going to let this settle for a few days and collect any feedback or reports you have for us. Barring any major problems (which we don't expect), we'll be preparing a release candidate build early next week and the official release will be coming soon after that.

--Jon Chuchla--

pixelpuppy
10-15-2016, 11:51 AM
For those of us that don't mind living on the edge...:blush:

Where can we find notes of what has changed when a new DevBuild appears? The release notes that come with the DevBuilds appear to only include updates from the previous production release.

jeffu231
10-15-2016, 01:56 PM
You can get most of it from looking at the bugs that are in fix version of Dev Build in the bug tracker. There might be an occasional fix that does not have a bug tracking item, but for the most part that will be very close. This should link you to that search. This time of year, the dev builds are generally very stable and just have important fixes to the release build.

http://bugs.vixenlights.com/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20DevBuild

jchuchla
10-15-2016, 08:29 PM
If you subscribe to the dev group mailing list you will get the notifications of every build including its notes as soon as it builds.
Vixendev@googlegroups.com

barbotte
10-15-2016, 10:01 PM
ho ley crap i have been too busy looking at any vixen this year ,,, first time today and wow build 283,, i was using 115 on my show lol .. what do i need to do so i dont lost anything from last year ??
thanks

MartinMueller2003
10-15-2016, 10:09 PM
ho ley crap i have been too busy looking at any vixen this year ,,, first time today and wow build 283,, i was using 115 on my show lol .. what do i need to do so i dont lost anything from last year ??
thanks

Just do a backup of your current setup. So far I have not seen the upgrade fail, but it is better to be safe than sorry. With that said, just install the new version and open your sequences. They should convert automatically. NOTE: Once a sequence has been upgraded, you can no longer use those files with an older version of Vixen (hence the note about having a backup).

pixelpuppy
10-16-2016, 01:12 PM
If you subscribe to the dev group mailing list you will get the notifications of every build including its notes as soon as it builds.
Vixendev@googlegroups.com

Is that the correct spelling? I searched for "vixendev" in google groups and it came back with "no results found". I also tried emailing to that address and got an email failed delivery message.

jchuchla
10-16-2016, 02:31 PM
They may have changed how the subscription process works. Try going to it with a browser and hopefully it will prompt you to login and subscribe. Here's the link that it gives me when I'm logged in.
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!forum/vixendev

masterful
10-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Hi just trying the newest devbuild 285 out.
not sure im doing something wrong. i cant edit an effect to change colour or alter the pattern. normally i would double click and it would bring up the edit screen i.e like the nutcracker effect in previous versions of vixen 3.

On another note thanks very much for including the scroll bars in the main display setup screen. solves the display issue i was having with this on any other low resolution screen.

Keep up the good work. We are glad for the effort and great results this software brings.

jchuchla
10-18-2016, 06:17 PM
The old effect editors have been deprecated for quite some time now. It sounds like you may have jumped right from 3.1 all the way past 3.3. The effects are all edited in the effect editor pane now. No need to click and open anything. Your editor pane may not be showing on screen because you skipped so many versions. You probably skipped past all of the versions that had the migration code to automatically reveal the new pane. You should be able to enable it in the menu where all of the other panes are listed. If not we'll have to reset your layout preferences and force it to build one with current defaults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro