PDA

View Full Version : The 3 Axis Skull is getting started!!!

kostyun
09-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Finally have a test all set an running!!

http://gallery.kostyun.com/2008_Skull_Test.wmv

Aurbo99
09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Looks great Frank!

I used a pair of Scarey Terry Bucky Skulls 4 years ago to chat back and forth to each other while mounted on the the fence posts in front of my old house. Unfortunately one was stolen on Halloween night and the other didnt survive the moving company a few months later.

I see by the breadboard your developing your own audio servo controller. Bring on the Co-OP! =)

Stick a Santa hat on it and its good for two Holidays!

kostyun
09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Now - remember - this is NOT using an audio servo controller - this uses vixen to actually control the servo (IE - the dimmed values set the servo position - so the "wave form" actually creates the talking movement)

My whole goal for this year is 2 3-axis skulls - so they'll tilt, nod, and turn

http://store.kostyun.com/prestashop/img/p/30-70-thickbox.jpg

The board itself can actually run four servo's (and 3 LED outputs) - so this will work out perfectly. I did order 20 boards, and 7 have been "claimed" and I have them in my webstore. (ETA to recieve is OCT 6th)

The idea is to have the skulls "redressed" as carolers for the christmas season. (get some sort of a face/doll mask and put that over the skull.)

kostyun
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Process update:

This was a late "project" idea that I just HAD to do after I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ool6WFpuSAk

I have finally ordered the rest of what I need to complete two of the skulls:

I currently have 3 servo's, and have 6 more on order, each skull will use 4 servos.

Today I ordered two of the lindberg pirate skulls (Since there lighter in weight than the bucky skulls) and also the necessary linkage for the servo's.

I ordered 8 5v power supplies off of ebay (hot deal - see here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=170263328847) I figure they will handle the skull, my LedTriks and the Ren24 LV's just fine.

I have started to build the center support column as show here: http://www.calhaunts.com/downloads/3_axis_skull.pdf I am using the nut/brass tube to create the bolt movement.

The information on the halloween forum is all over the place for these - and with a lot of people using a pre-made machined support, I need to try to locate the PDF file on the template for the lexan mount, and get those cut out.

It should be interesting, as this is the first year that I'm really pushing to do anything other than some fog and strobe lights for halloween.

I am also thinking of creating a flying crank ghost - as they look pretty simple (and I have everything to make one!!!!)

5childrensleep
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Very Interesting, and it's looking good.

Oh and BTW, 100 posts for me...YAY!

rjanuary
09-29-2008, 07:37 PM
I just watched a few of those videos with the 3 axis skulls. It's made me want to attemp some for next Halloween!

Richard

kostyun
09-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Finally found the thread on halloween forum with the image template for the lexan for the skull.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/62161-my-3-axis-skull-progress-5.html

teberle
09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Frank,

Looks good. I have been wanting to do one of those but I end up waiting to long and typically can only get one prop done. I am about half way complete with my Jack in the Box and will post some of that later.

kostyun
10-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Very cool!

Over the past two nights I have made the "skull" mounting plates - but - am in a bit of a holding pattern until I actually get the rest of my servo's and the skulls.

I ended up using some 1/4" ABS plastic (Since I had it) and it worked out fine. Overall I've actualy gotten this project done rather quickly.

One other thing I did was instead of drilling and tapping the bolt for a 4/40 scren, is I flipped a screw over and brazed it to the top of the bolt for the tilt servos (quicker, faster, and I'm sure just as good)

Slush
10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Frank,

Is there an easy way to sequence this?

Can you set the channel intensity directly from the waveform?

Otherwise you got a lot of sequencing to do. I know cause I just got done sequencing Monster Mash for my 9 foot high singing pumpkin face. It does not use intensity - but instead 6 different mouth shapes.

kostyun
10-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Frank,

Is there an easy way to sequence this?

Can you set the channel intensity directly from the waveform?

Otherwise you got a lot of sequencing to do. I know cause I just got done sequencing Monster Mash for my 9 foot high singing pumpkin face. It does not use intensity - but instead 6 different mouth shapes.

Yes, you CAN set the channel intensity from the waveform (which is how I'll do the jaw movements) The video above shows the use of the waveform for the jaw movement.

I have the the 3 axis part working now - recieved a load of servo's in today - but - I !@# bought the wrong control arms - so I need to find those. I am also still awaiting the skulls - I am hoping they'll be in soon.

My plan is to have at least one of the skulls done by the 14th (and long done by the 25th)

kostyun
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Here is "Mr Bones #1" - I don't know if I'll get #2 done with the surgery comming up - but - at least I have one!!

The control board is a DMX servo controller. It supports a total 4 servos - so I have a servo for tilt, nod, rotate and the jaw movement. Since I use vixen - I set all of the channels to 50% for the midpoint. To move the head from there - I either increase the "brightness" or decrease it to create the movement. The board actually fits nicely inside the skull cavity, and I just used a couple of pieces of velcro to attach it to the top of the skull. The eyes (for this year) are just red LEDs, and hopefully next year I will be able to go with moving eyes also. One big thing that I did differently from a lot of the ones online was my use of a sheet of black ABS instead of lexan (one reason why is that I had a 2' x 4' sheet on hand) and I also used aluminum for the brackets instead of steel, as its a heck of a lot easier to work and cut. For the rotate assembly - I used 1/8" x 1/2" wide strip for the rotate clip, and a 1/16" x 1/2" wide strip for the jaw servo mounting.

Front view of the servo and controls in the skull.
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiM5PiEqQFtFP2VtaXdnOzAxJzwyNyo9MTI%2B NzklIi0iJjs%2FNA%3D%3D

Bottom view of the servo and controls.
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiM5PyoqQFtFP2VtaXdnOzAxJzwyNyo9MTI%2B NzklIi0iJjs%2FNA%3D%3D

Top view of the servo and controls.
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiM5PiMqQFtFP2VtaXdnOzAxJzwyNyo9MTI%2B NzklIi0iJjs%2FNA%3D%3D

Top view of the skull with the controll board installed.
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiM5PiIqQFtFP2VtaXdnOzAxJzwyNyo9MTI%2B NzklIi0iJjs%2FNA%3D%3D

tconley
10-15-2008, 12:53 AM
way cool frank

budude
05-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Dang - just when I figured I have enough to do just for Christmas you guys come up with yet another project!! This is way cool - been looking for a way to jazz up my 'ween display - looks like a winner!

Brian

dionicia
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what was the controller you used for you skull?

kostyun
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I used the DMX Servo controller I created based off of Hendrik's design.

ctmal
01-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Here is "Mr Bones #1" - I don't know if I'll get #2 done with the surgery comming up - but - at least I have one!!

I know this is an old post but I'm looking into building one of these and the pictures aren't coming through. I've been reading about how to build the 3-axis neck but it seems that you need to be able to mill some of the parts to get them to work. Does anyboy know of any parts that wouldn't need milling? Also, if anybody knows where you can find the swivel rod ends in local stores(maybe a chain store?) I could take a look at some parts and see if I can get something to work.

kostyun
01-18-2010, 02:08 AM
I got the swivel ends from ebay, all else from the local ace hardware.

ctmal
01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I got the swivel ends from ebay, all else from the local ace hardware.

Great, thanks.

Greg in Canby
01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I am also thinking of creating a flying crank ghost - as they look pretty simple (and I have everything to make one!!!!)

You won't be disappointed if you do. GREAT effect for the $ (even better that you have the parts) and the time.

Greg

Sparkey
01-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I know this is an old post but I'm looking into building one of these and the pictures aren't coming through. I've been reading about how to build the 3-axis neck but it seems that you need to be able to mill some of the parts to get them to work. Does anyboy know of any parts that wouldn't need milling? Also, if anybody knows where you can find the swivel rod ends in local stores(maybe a chain store?) I could take a look at some parts and see if I can get something to work.

Hey there, Sparkey here.
I just started building mine right after Christmas. Goto igus.com and ask for a "free sample" of part "KARI-03" this is the same [Rod End Bearing] part (except it is poly -hold 45lbs long term- not steel =hold 1,112lbs long term=) by dimensions as found on McMaster-Carr (going for 4.38 each). Igus sells them for about 1.95 each I think. I've also found a few other substatutes that work. {http://www.igus.com/IGUBAL/IGL3.ASP}
Best of luck

ctmal
01-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey there, Sparkey here.
I just started building mine right after Christmas. Goto igus.com and ask for a "free sample" of part "KARI-03" this is the same [Rod End Bearing] part (except it is poly -hold 45lbs long term- not steel =hold 1,112lbs long term=) by dimensions as found on McMaster-Carr (going for 4.38 each). Igus sells them for about 1.95 each I think. I've also found a few other substatutes that work. {http://www.igus.com/IGUBAL/IGL3.ASP}
Best of luck

Nice! I'll give them a try.

Keith R
01-27-2010, 03:34 PM
****Success****
Have got the mini-SSC plug-in to work with the SSC-32 controller. The baud rates were the problem. The fastest that both will run is 38.4K. I still have slightly jerky movement at the slower rates and I don't quite get 180 degrees movement (I'm at about 100), I am working on a fix. This is great news because now I can control my lighting and other things I had planned for the quartet.
Keith

XmasInGalt
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
****Success****
Have got the mini-SSC plug-in to work with the SSC-32 controller. The baud rates were the problem. The fastest that both will run is 38.4K. I still have slightly jerky movement at the slower rates and I don't quite get 180 degrees movement (I'm at about 100), I am working on a fix. This is great news because now I can control my lighting and other things I had planned for the quartet.
Keith

Keith,

That's great news. I have a SSC-32 controller and haven't had the time to work on it. I really want to do the skull thing for Halloween but the wife says "Don't waste your time on that. There's alot of other things you want to do for Christmas and you don't have the time for everything". Of course she is right but I really wanted to play around with the animatronics stuff. Maybe instead of skulls I can add animatronic elves to my Christmas display. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting and sharing.

Sparkey
01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi all,
Those of you needing help with the 3AS (3 Axis Skull)
look here: http://www.graveyardskulls.com/assembly/

{no disrespect to this site but the data is already over there}

You will find: several tutorials, assembly help, how
to hook up the SSC-32 and VSA Programming 101.

I've got my servos moving about. I'm getting my bolts
machined professionally from a friend. Soon I'll be able
to try and put some things together once I cut my lexin.

Side note: The original plugs used to connect the SSC-32
control box were from places like Mouser Electronics. One
set would cost about $8, I've decided to just use solder
cup DB-15 Sub-D [90 cents per set M/F at mpja.com]
connectors [with AWG 22 wire which has a current rating
of 7amps for chassis wiring or .92amps for power transmission]
as the unit uses less than 6VDC.

Best of luck to all!!
Sparkey

toy keeper
01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
I've just built a 3 axis kit that I've had for a while. Now its time to start sequencing. I tried the Waveform add in, but keep getting an Add in error "The type initializer for 'FMOD.VERSION' threw an exception". Any one else encounter this? I've tried on several versions of Vixen and the only one that seems to work is 1.1.11.

Sky-Lights
02-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Ok , BIG question ...
Has anybody besides myself , got those "free" samples from IGUS ( along with the 10 lbs of brochures and catalogs :lol: ) yet ?
( I also ordered a few other items , which was paid for so I wouldn't feel too "cheap" )

I received mine the other day , and I know this sounds like looking a gift horse in the mouth , but , maybe rather than sound like I am complaining about a "freebie" part ( actually two of them ) , I would rather it come out sounding like I am trying to forewarn anyone before any purchases goes on .

The parts listed above ( KARI-03 ) for starts , is too small , AND , they STICK when trying to rotate . Not just one , but both units do , and in the same manner .
I already called the company and inquired if this was normal for this particular item and they told me that it does sometimes occur . ( granted , they did tell me that they get a couple more out to me in the mail.... So , to me .... these are worthless if using for the pivot for a 3 axis due to them sticking and not allowing a smooth natural movement .

Keith R
02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
For the most part, I am a DIY guy, so I like to try to do everything myself to save money. I also ended up buying the VSA software, not out of need, but out of necessity because the vixen software was very jerky and did not give me the desired effect that I wanted.
But for a pirate that only moves in one axis and talks, Vixen would work fine.
I called a dealer of plexi-glass in town and ask for a sample of 1/4" lexan. I got a 2' x 4" piece for nothing. Enough to do about 10-15 skulls. I struggled with the bolt, but ended up buying one to make sure that I was being consistent with what everyone else was doing.
The rod ends I bought from McMaster Carr. I could have gotten the 5.00 ones, but I bought the Stainless ones to be sure. They were tight to begin with. I put a piece of all-thread 10-24 and bolted it on both sides. Put the all thread in a drill, with a little Mother's Wheel polish, and I had that puppy loose in no time. I wouldn't go for a free sample here.
I also bought a case of Hitec 425's on eBay for 150.00. Big expense, but looking down the road, I paid 6.00 apiece for mine (not 15.00) and I can do 6 skulls.
I do what I can do, and what I can't do, I will buy....but I will always try to do it first.

So for those trying to save some bucks I would try something simple like 1 axis (head turn and talk), and use Vixen. It works, and is effective. You can get those rod ends at Northern Tool, also, for about 4.00. You could even use an elevator horn (instead of making the metal piece) to make the head turn.
What I had a hard time trying to figure out is the sizes of everything to get. That's where I wasted some money. I bought 4-40 stuff and didn't need it.
That bolt is 3/8" coarse drilled and tapped for 10-24. you stick a piece of all-thread in the end of it and locktite it, then drill and tap the 10-24 for 2-56.
That is the best info I can give you. Had I known that from the start, I would have saved about 100.00.

If you have the money, buy the kit...I understand that they are producing some 150.00 skulls this year.
If not, Halloween Bob's tutorial is very good on www.Halloweenforum.com, but I found that it was incomplete and until you get started, you will finally figure out the whole story.
Keith

NowThisIsScary
02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Those cheaper skulls from GYS are supposed to be $175.00 with cheaper (non-HiTech) servos not $150. If they turn out anything like the eye kits they came up with last year, they will not work well at all. All their parts have gone way up in price this year.

If anyone is interested, I have a few skull servo plates, steel tie rod brackets (similar to the bracket HalloweenBob made) and tie rod ends for sale.

Sky-Lights
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Any chance of getting you to post the prices ? ( or a PM with the prices ? )

NowThisIsScary
02-04-2010, 09:59 PM
PM sent.

NowThisIsScary
02-06-2010, 01:52 AM
I have about 12 sets of parts left now.

Laser Cut and Drilled Servo Plate for Lindburg Skull = $13.50
HQ Steel Tie Rod With Matching Jam Nuts (2) for Mounting = $5.00
Laser Cut and Drilled "A" Shaped Steel Tie Rod Mounting Bracket = $8.00 (Mounts under rear Servo)

PM me if anyone else is interested.

51fordf2
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Got the parts today! These are exactly what I needed to get me going. Thanks!

I also received some eyes that I got off ebay - the auction is for 10 eyeballs, $10, and $1.50 shipping. Not a bad price! But, on opening, it's 10 SETS of eyeballs, or 20 eyeballs, in 4 different colors! This is an excellent price for them, and I asked her if she has a lot, and if I could announce it here. She said that's fine, and she has a lot of 24, 26, and 28mm ones. I got the 26 mm. They are the full-round ones, with the "cones" out the back, as seen on Halloween Forums. Fit the Gemmy perfectly!

http://www.globaldolls.com/images/glasseyes/eyesglass-mthblwn.jpg

Anyway, thought I'd pass it on - her auction is here:

10 eyeballs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180389637888) ... tell her Roger sent you! :)

Thanks again, for the parts...

Roger

NowThisIsScary
02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Good deal. I've built a few dozen so-far and it is fun. Now working on getting my controllers tested and built.

I've used those eyeballs before, they used to be really cheap over at http://www.madmartian.com/ in their Eyeball museum. There is a good write-up on using those over at Halloweenforum by Evilbob: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/78185-jumping-two-axis-eye-band-wagon.html

Sparkey
02-21-2010, 11:58 AM
It's Aliveeeeeeee! 02.21.2010
I've just finished my first 3AS (3 axis skull) and tested out each servo. FYI I'm using the SSC32 controller and VSA on an old computer for controls. I've also kit-bashed an old PC power supply for my power center. Now I'm off to figure out how to make VSA run with an audio file and make the routines look smooth. Here are a few of the first pics. Sorry about the quality but who buys an expensive digital when you can buy toys for Halloween and Christmas? -->insert evil laugh here<-- MOOO-HA-HAAAA!.
Best of luck to all,
Sparkey

NowThisIsScary
02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
It's Aliveeeeeeee! 02.21.2010
I've just finished my first 3AS (3 axis skull) and tested out each servo. FYI I'm using the SSC32 controller and VSA on an old computer for controls. I've also kit-bashed an old PC power supply for my power center. Now I'm off to figure out how to make VSA run with an audio file and make the routines look smooth. Here are a few of the first pics. Sorry about the quality but who buys an expensive digital when you can buy toys for Halloween and Christmas? -->insert evil laugh here<-- MOOO-HA-HAAAA!.
Best of luck to all,
Sparkey

Good job. I remember my first born skull also. I got him running on VSA and then got some help from EvilBob's Parlay and a joystick, now I use Trackskull and Helmsman. Make sure you checkout http://www.monkeybasic.com and Nelson's great (and free) VSA utilities, it will make life with VSA tolerable. I keep hoping that someday VSA will get a magor overhaul and bring it up to date.

Sparkey
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Good job. I remember my first born skull also. I got him running on VSA and then got some help from EvilBob's Parlay and a joystick, now I use Trackskull and Helmsman. Make sure you checkout http://www.monkeybasic.com and Nelson's great (and free) VSA utilities, it will make life with VSA tolerable. I keep hoping that someday VSA will get a magor overhaul and bring it up to date.

Thank you for the kind words. It did take a bit to figure out but boy does it feel sweet now that I've got it done. I'm not sure if, due to money, I'll make a few more for this year or if I'll get a few of the cheaper Gemmy Skulls I've heard about and use those as 2 axis units for back-up talkers/singers.

Not only the cost (I've a few other haunt ideas I want to setup so I need to budget accordingly) but, and this may sound funny, but I think I'll need more time to plan out a quality show with VSA than it takes to build the 3AS.

Yes, I think VSA is going to have a much steeper learning curve than VIXEN. I need to find some how-to documents on PARLAY and VSA. I've never heard of TRACKSKULL or HELMSMAN though I have heard about MONKEYBASIC (thanks for the link, I'd forgotten and now I'll go back to look at it). Who is Nelson and what utilities are you talking about? Any info. would be appreciated.

All the best,
Sparkey

NowThisIsScary
02-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Thank you for the kind words. It did take a bit to figure out but boy does it feel sweet now that I've got it done. I'm not sure if, due to money, I'll make a few more for this year or if I'll get a few of the cheaper Gemmy Skulls I've heard about and use those as 2 axis units for back-up talkers/singers.

Not only the cost (I've a few other haunt ideas I want to setup so I need to budget accordingly) but, and this may sound funny, but I think I'll need more time to plan out a quality show with VSA than it takes to build the 3AS.

Yes, I think VSA is going to have a much steeper learning curve than VIXEN. I need to find some how-to documents on PARLAY and VSA. I've never heard of TRACKSKULL or HELMSMAN though I have heard about MONKEYBASIC (thanks for the link, I'd forgotten and now I'll go back to look at it). Who is Nelson and what utilities are you talking about? Any info. would be appreciated.

All the best,
Sparkey

Nelson is the guy from HalloweenForum that created TRACKSKULL and HELMSMAN and runs monkeybasic.com.

Trackskull is a utility that allows you to easily create VSA routines with either a joystick or a TrackIR device (it tracks your head movement). You make the routine and then import it into VSA. Trackskull shows you a 3D representation on the screen as you create your routine, it is really slick.

Helmsman gives VSA options similar to Vixen and allows multiple routines with multiple audio tracks to be triggered by switches or sensors connected to pins on your parallel port. Lots of options VSA should have had built-in.

He has several nice video tutorials to show you how to use them on his site. Before you would have to buy rather expensive hardware to do those things and his free software works great.

Parlay from EvilBob is good stuff but Trackskull is like Parlay on steriods.

Sparkey
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Nelson is the guy from HalloweenForum that created TRACKSKULL and HELMSMAN and runs monkeybasic.com.

Trackskull is a utility that allows you to easily create VSA routines with either a joystick or a TrackIR device (it tracks your head movement). You make the routine and then import it into VSA. Trackskull shows you a 3D representation on the screen as you create your routine, it is really slick.

Helmsman gives VSA options similar to Vixen and allows multiple routines with multiple audio tracks to be triggered by switches or sensors connected to pins on your parallel port. Lots of options VSA should have had built-in.

He has several nice video tutorials to show you how to use them on his site. Before you would have to buy rather expensive hardware to do those things and his free software works great.

Parlay from EvilBob is good stuff but Trackskull is like Parlay on steriods.

AWSOME! Thanks for the info. I'm off to go look at this stuff right now!

MonkeyBasic
02-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi guys, this is Nelson from MonkeyBasic. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy!

Sparkey
03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi guys, this is Nelson from MonkeyBasic. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the offer. I just d/l the trial and now, before I use it, I need to find a joystick. >insert embarrassed smile here< OK, so I'm not a gamer I'm a "tinkerer". Hence I need to find something that feels right/works for me. So, in the meantime I'm just running/playing with VSA to get a feel for it. There must be some kind of magic "ah ha" moment when the "I get it" comes about because this software sure feels strange to me. (It was easier to learn C than this!) Thanks again.
Sparkey

MonkeyBasic
03-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Any cheap USB joystick will do. Some people like the Logitech Extreme 3D because the 3rd axis is the twisting action of the joystick instead of the throttle.

Sparkey
03-13-2010, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nc4S9QmQbw&layer_token=fd076355cb45126f

I tested out a cable length of 90' using 22AWG stranded (just the jaw servo for the test) and everything worked fine.

The reason for this test is I plan on using a central control station and running various props and effects from this one location. Kind of like the star topology in networking. Just letting you all know that the SSC32 can work on a wire that long.

Good luck with your projects,
Sparkey

NowThisIsScary
05-17-2010, 10:27 PM
I have created a web site for 3 Axis Skull parts kits. I will be adding items (controllers, 2 Axis Eyes...) to the page as they are developed in the very near future.

Have a look here: triaxialskulllabs.com

Sparkey
05-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Well lookey what I did.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Lj1bvH-Zc

hehehehehehehe
I'm getting ready for Halloween (and Christmas), are you?

ppohlman
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Looks EXCELLENT!!

Sparkey
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks!
The wife saw this as the 'finished demo' then turned, looked me right in the eyes and said: "So you ARE making the backup singers - Right." hehehehehe What a way to get the ok from the finance department!

ppohlman
06-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks!
The wife saw this as the 'finished demo' then turned, looked me right in the eyes and said: "So you ARE making the backup singers - Right." hehehehehe What a way to get the ok from the finance department!

Ha ha ha !!

That's exactly how it works. Give them enough that they can start to see what's going on and they will jump in. It was the same with my wife and blinky/flashy. She was a little concerned and thinking that I was crazy at first. Then when see saw the first song completely done on the previewer, she got a little more excited. Then after the first year, she was all in and thinking of new songs to sequence to. It's always nice to have the finance department backing you up.

Actually, my next step was to start doing some 3 axis skulls for Halloween as well. I was waiting for the Ren Servo controller to get finished up, but that's been postponed indefinitely. I really loved the idea of a Ren controller because I could just put it inline with the rest of my stuff without having to build a different control setup just for the skulls.

Sparkey
06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I just jumped on the bandwagon and used the SSC-32 Servo Controller (http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=395&CategoryID=52). The nice thing about it is, being serial, I can run this (up to 32 devices) and my Grinch or Kit-74 at the same time. I'm thinking of using my old Kit-74 for "Show Lights" during the Halloween program so I can keep my controllers separate. I like to build modular so setup and tear down and storage are all easy. I'm starting to re-build my C3 (Christmas Command Center). I'm upgrading to 2 Grinch controllers for sure and possibly 2 Ren64-XCs also, for Christmas. Everyone needs a hobby and I've been hooked!

Sparkey
09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Cool news for those of you who have an IPhone. Get the new HELMSMAN from MonkeyBasic. He's got it so you can start your routines by IPhone remotely if you want. I've just got Helmsman figured out to run my routines and audio files. I plan on using it for sequencing.
Best of luck to all!!