PDA

View Full Version : 4K Clear View

angus40
06-28-2016, 06:37 PM
If you are building a pixel strip matrix and need it to be see through , the twin wall panels are excellent .

They are completely water proof and remove the need for silicone sleeves , further reducing the cost of your pixel strip .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq6-oDxvvDA&feature=youtu.be

jchuchla
06-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Nice effect. I was always wondering how well that would work.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keebler
06-29-2016, 02:10 AM
If you are building a pixel strip matrix and need it to be see through , the twin wall panels are excellent .

They are completely water proof and remove the need for silicone sleeves , further reducing the cost of your pixel strip .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq6-oDxvvDA&feature=youtu.be

could you please write out what kind of material you are using?

the military killed my hearing - thank you

markrvp
06-29-2016, 02:20 PM
could you please write out what kind of material you are using?

the military killed my hearing - thank you

It appears to be something like this: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/easy-ship-2-ft-wide-twinwall-polycarbonate/greenhouse-polycarbonate-sheets

TWIN WALL GREENHOUSE PANELS

angus40
06-29-2016, 02:51 PM
It seems to go by various names . Here is the supplier I used .

http://goindustrial.ca/index.php/en/products/14/12/plastics/plastic-substrates/multi-wall-sheet-detail

DrNeutron
06-29-2016, 02:53 PM
I have to ask......what did you pay per sheet plus shipping (if any).

angus40
06-29-2016, 03:54 PM
I have to ask......what did you pay per sheet plus shipping (if any).

Unfortunately I do not have a retail price to post . They are local so no shipping was involved .
I will add that the panels I have are 3/8 x 1/4 flute size and accommodate the 60pixel/m perfectly and by leaving a flute between strips the spacing is ideal .

jchuchla
06-29-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure what he's using is 10mm twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse panels. It's basically just clear coroplast, but it's a polycarbonate plastic instead of acrylic. It's generally sold as greenhouse panels. My Menards carries it in a few colors and sizes. The 4x8 sheet of 10mm clear is around $80.
One thing to keep in mind is that the flute size is a non-critical dimension for the intended use of the product. So this dimension can vary somewhat between manufacturers. But it's generally fairly constant from run to run from the same factory. (Because it comes off the same machine). Bottom line is to check the fit of the strip inside the flute before committing to the project.
They also make a triple wall. It's more expensive because there's more plastic In a sheet. But the flutes are not as deep and it may help to keep the strip from bending along the length of the flute.
Another thing I'd be interested in seeing is how the smoke or bronze colors work. These would greatly boost the contrast ratio of the matix and might produce less glare and even help it hide in the display better. It could also help to dim down the whole matrix a bit. And anyone who's done a strip matrix knows that too much brightness is often a problem.
One concern i have with this concept in general is heat dissipation. 5050 LEDs burn up fast when they overheat. And these greenhouse panels are specifically designed to retain heat. I'd really be interested in hearing the long term results of this design.

--Jon Chuchla--

angus40
06-29-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure what he's using is 10mm twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse panels. It's basically just clear coroplast, but it's a polycarbonate plastic instead of acrylic. It's generally sold as greenhouse panels. My Menards carries it in a few colors and sizes. The 4x8 sheet of 10mm clear is around $80.
One thing to keep in mind is that the flute size is a non-critical dimension for the intended use of the product. So this dimension can vary somewhat between manufacturers. But it's generally fairly constant from run to run from the same factory. (Because it comes off the same machine). Bottom line is to check the fit of the strip inside the flute before committing to the project.
They also make a triple wall. It's more expensive because there's more plastic In a sheet. But the flutes are not as deep and it may help to keep the strip from bending along the length of the flute.
Another thing I'd be interested in seeing is how the smoke or bronze colors work. These would greatly boost the contrast ratio of the matix and might produce less glare and even help it hide in the display better. It could also help to dim down the whole matrix a bit. And anyone who's done a strip matrix knows that too much brightness is often a problem.
One concern i have with this concept in general is heat dissipation. 5050 LEDs burn up fast when they overheat. And these greenhouse panels are specifically designed to retain heat. I'd really be interested in hearing the long term results of this design.

--Jon Chuchla--

I agree 100% on making sure your strip will fit prior to purchase .

As far as heat is concerned , I have not noticed any thing considerable in testing so far .

I am yet to light the entire panel though . That said , 60 % intensity is more than enough at this density so any heat concern for me is minimal at best .

jchuchla
06-29-2016, 05:39 PM
The only reason I bring up the heat concern is because I've managed to overheat more than one strip just by lighting it up while still on the spool for 10 minutes or so. I'm not really sure where the threshold is but it seems to be a lot lower than I like.

--Jon Chuchla--

Skunberg
06-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Menard's here doesn't carry it. But you can order it to the store without a shipping charge.

Skunberg
06-29-2016, 06:10 PM
There is a band using it as a back drop. Saw it on one of the forums.

angus40
06-29-2016, 07:02 PM
The only reason I bring up the heat concern is because I've managed to overheat more than one strip just by lighting it up while still on the spool for 10 minutes or so. I'm not really sure where the threshold is but it seems to be a lot lower than I like.

--Jon Chuchla--

Curiosity has got me now , was the strip that over heated 5050 with the ic internal ?

as in 2811 or 2812b etc ?

I have noticed that in some cases the silicone sleeve is stuck to the surface of the 5050

Also with some strip I cannot believe the Chinese manufacturer actually managed to get the strip into the sleeve because it was so crooked once removed .

whitebuck
06-29-2016, 07:13 PM
I have looked at this several times, wondering how the ends are closed off to keep water out? Or are they ?

angus40
06-29-2016, 07:58 PM
I have looked at this several times, wondering how the ends are closed off to keep water out? Or are they ?

You will have other worries that will answer your question .

Like > how will you apply tension to the strip to keep it nice and flat ? :)

jchuchla
06-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Curiosity has got me now , was the strip that over heated 5050 with the ic internal ?

as in 2811 or 2812b etc ?

I have noticed that in some cases the silicone sleeve is stuck to the surface of the 5050

Also with some strip I cannot believe the Chinese manufacturer actually managed to get the strip into the sleeve because it was so crooked once removed .

The ones I had problems with were actually dumb RGB. 60/m 12v potted(no sleeve)

--Jon Chuchla--

didjareally
06-29-2016, 10:01 PM
got any video of it lit up and in action? definitely a neat idea, but all i can think of is how much of a pain it'll be when a pixel goes out and is in the middle. Cause you know it'll be a middle one that goes out. lol

angus40
06-30-2016, 12:21 AM
The ones I had problems with were actually dumb RGB. 60/m 12v potted(no sleeve)

--Jon Chuchla--

The dumb rgb 60/m will burn out just looking at it the wrong way .I have dozens of rolls of them and even zip ties burn them out

if you dont treat them just right .

angus40
06-30-2016, 12:39 AM
got any video of it lit up and in action? definitely a neat idea, but all i can think of is how much of a pain it'll be when a pixel goes out and is in the middle. Cause you know it'll be a middle one that goes out. lol

No rush for video , I am taking my time and making certain I cover all my bases for ease of setup , maintenance and tear down .

Replacing a strip during show time will be much easier than replacing a string on my pixel string matrix which is being repurposed .

angus40
11-11-2016, 07:33 PM
6 universes , not power injection > no problem for perfect full white .

I am using 12 % output and 100% test pattern with the e682 .

Just in case anyone was worried about power draw > yes power injection is not required with ws 2812b 60/m strip .

Tried tested and works great .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Uz5NOXMyg&feature=youtu.be

4586shaggy
12-12-2016, 09:57 PM
ok... i've been debating my options for a matrix, and happen to have 4 rolls of 2812 60/m strips... have any real world results yet?

angus40
02-26-2017, 08:28 PM
ok... i've been debating my options for a matrix, and happen to have 4 rolls of 2812 60/m strips... have any real world results yet?

Being that I have not destructed this matrix yet , I am going to revive this project . The HinksPix16 controller will be replacing the e682"s in a new configuration .
I will decrease pixel spacing and increase the pixel density to account for the aspect ratio's height appearance wise .

I had originally thought that it was best to keep the pixels uniform by spacing every second row , but in testing my thinking was proved wrong .
Further testing to follow .
I will provide you video of the end result .

angus40
10-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Still re working this matrix and getting close to completion .

I resolved the strip replacement issue by creating an independent tension strip .

The biggest pain is tapping all the holes and cutting set screws .

I also remove the strip spacing and increased the pixel count to 5712 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGCK8JvG48&feature=youtu.be

angus40
12-09-2017, 10:54 PM
I finally have this matrix working with 96 strips of 84 pixels ! woot

It is now an 8k run by 1 HinksPix16 controller and 1 60a 5v power supply .

The HinksPix16 replaced 4x e682 controllers 8x 5v 60a power supplies and miles of excess wiring pig tails etc .

The HinksPix controller impressively simplifies connectivity without the need for extra boards or wares .
Truly an amazing controller currently running 48 Universes flawlessly.

I am looking forward to the future with this controller and larger pixel projects .

I can now confidently retire the majority of my e68*s and replace with the Easy lights controllers .

angus40
12-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Here is 1/2 of the 8k pixels under set screw tension .

It is well worth the effort to stretch the pixel strip tight .

A tip for anyone considering this if you are doing a zig zag layout as I have .

I found it best to align the pixel from the center out , it takes a bit of back and forth adjusting but again it is worth the effort .

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKzk10e-Oc&feature=youtu.be

toozie21
12-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Looking really nice. Will it be making it outside this year?

Also, what are you estimating the end cost for the whole up system, about $1.5k?

angus40
12-12-2017, 09:58 AM
My goal is to have it out for the coming weekend .

The 17th of Dec. is are annual xmas street fair , so I make that my all lights and audio on day .

Two weeks of chaos traffic wise is enough on my neighbors .

You are with in reason at 1.5k not considering the endless hours of your time .

I plan to build another but using smaller leds 35/35 rather than 50/50 .
Also higher density 144/m rather than 60/m

A special thanks to Joe Hinkle for creating the HinksPix controller and HLS , which the two combined
simplified the control of a matrix this size.

Computer - HLS sequencer , Hinkspix controller and a single 5v 60a power supply . just amazing !

Cheers

toozie21
12-12-2017, 10:33 AM
It looks great, it is just crazy how these things add up. My matrix from about 3 years ago is 72x20 30/m strips and I estimate about $750 for everything (including material to actually build it), so I was thinking since you bought direct from overseas, that was a savings, so I just doubled my cost. Look forward to seeing some stuff run on it!

LightUp
12-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Will your display be bright enough to be used as an outdoor (billboard) sign? I've been toying with the idea of building one for our church but will need two to be viewed from either road direction.

angus40
12-12-2017, 04:40 PM
The pixels are 5v WS2812b which do not produce nice color like the Tls 3001 but come close .

@ 50 or Higher brightness level , I think all 8 bit pixels are about the same.

With the clear view twin wall that I put the pixels in , the images can be viewed from both sides

The fcb the pixels are mounted on does not offer much of a barrier to the led light.

I am using 10% brightness with 8k pixels is more than adequate , and will still cause issues if viewed for long periods of time .

Once I get it out , I will video at various distances to see what the limits and benefits are .

angus40
12-13-2017, 02:48 AM
A must do diy fuse :)

angus40
12-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Day time video , the sound effects were a pure bonus :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO4iROozLJE&feature=youtu.be

LightUp
12-21-2017, 07:42 PM
That is a large display!