PDA

View Full Version : If a 595 can be done thru a REN c , why not a REN ?

TERBObob
09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Ok , might have missed this somewhere down the line .
But , I was wondering . If you can dim a 595 thru a REN c , why , then , could you not simple use a REN ( say 16 , or 24 or ) to comtrol the 595 also ?

TimW
09-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Hi TERBObob

The Ren C is a board that takes in serial port data and converts it to something that can talk to the 595/Grinch. To the 595/Grinch, RenC looks like a parallel printer port. It does some fancy work to get the board to dim by looking like a much faster parallel port than the PC can probably supply (and some other stuff) ... but it interprets the serial data into control lines that the 595 understands as if they came from the usual parallel port.

The other Renard boards have outputs that drive SSRs. They still interpret the serial port renard code - but their output is for a different purpose.

Another way to think about it is that the Renard boards actually provide a dimming signal to the ssrs - a Ren C provides control signals to the 595 so it can provide a dimming output to the SSRs. So same input - but different type and purpose of outputs.

Does that answer the question? I'm not sure I didn't just confuse it more!

Tim

P. Short
09-23-2008, 01:16 PM
If you just want to turn the 595 lights on and off (no dimming), the PIC on the Renard can be made to do that. However, you or someone else would need to write the firmware to do that, as I do not intend to do so (no point to it, IMO).

The dimming function of the Ren-C makes essential use of the CCP module in the PIC16F627A chip on that board. The PIC on the Renard does not have a CCP module, and I don't have any idea at this time on how to get the code to execute fast enough without that feature.