PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl as a Matrix Cover

smccoy
05-19-2016, 07:00 AM
I am building a large (8x8) matrix and of course, it is larger than a standard 4x8 sheet of polycarbonate. I was thinking of using clear vinyl as a cover for the front and have found references to it on a few threads but was wondering if anybody used it last season and how it worked? Also, if you did, how did you mount it?

james70818
05-19-2016, 08:39 AM
Polycarbonate as well as other clear plastics can be purchased in larger sheets. A local vendor here keeps 5x10 and some 6x10 sheets in stock. So it might be worth a few phone calls if you want that type of lens.

James

smccoy
05-19-2016, 09:24 AM
I would much prefer a rigid front less and was thinking material might be available in larger sizes. Time to make some calls!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

arw01
05-19-2016, 10:48 AM
I have been considering the shrink wrap window film material to cover the front of mine, but didn't make it out to production last year with pretty much anything besides James mid-mini trees.

smccoy
05-19-2016, 10:51 AM
I hadn't thought of that. Great price for the material so would be worth testing out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Phrog30
05-19-2016, 11:15 AM
I am building a large (8x8) matrix and of course, it is larger than a standard 4x8 sheet of polycarbonate. I was thinking of using clear vinyl as a cover for the front and have found references to it on a few threads but was wondering if anybody used it last season and how it worked? Also, if you did, how did you mount it?
I am going to order some, will let you know how it goes. I have asked others, so far I can't find anyone that has tried it.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Driver
05-21-2016, 06:15 AM
I used 0.5mm clear table-cloth vinyl as a cover on my 5x5 P10 setup last year and it worked perfect. Was stabled to the back of the frame and pulled tight like an art canvas.

jnealand
05-21-2016, 10:54 AM
I looked at shrink wrap window material but it is only 1.6 mil. I am going to try a clear shower curtain. They are really heavy, inexpensive, and available at every Walmart and other stores.

didjareally
05-21-2016, 01:55 PM
I looked at shrink wrap window material but it is only 1.6 mil. I am going to try a clear shower curtain. They are really heavy, inexpensive, and available at every Walmart and other stores.

My 2 year old likes to poke his fingers through those and then continue to rip them. And thats just with it hanging in our shower, not pulled taut over a frame. Not convinced it would hold up well outdoors and in the weather, but maybe.

Phrog30
05-21-2016, 04:28 PM
There are different thicknesses available. If a 2 year old is able to poke at it and cause a hole, then it's obviously not thick enough.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk