PDA

View Full Version : Brazing heavy copper wire

arw01
03-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Wifey wants a peacock made up, since shipping to buy it would be quite high thought I would try making it.

How is copper to braze/solder with a map gas torch?

Alan

MartinMueller2003
03-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Since a simple soldering iron at 150W can solder two 0 AWG (yes zero) wires, I suspect your torch may be a bit of overkill. I simple propane plumbing torch is more than you need.

arw01
03-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Was thinking something tougher than plain soft solder to hold the wires.

rstehle
03-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Was thinking something tougher than plain soft solder to hold the wires.

Solder is not really soft once it forms a joint. Have you thought about using 1/4" rolled steel rod? Cheaper than Copper, fairly easy to bend or cut, welds easily too. Don't buy it at Lowes or HD, find a metal distributor, about 25% of the big box store price.

Dougp
03-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Depending on the size that you want and where you are located, it might not cost that much to have someone make it and ship it to you. The frame can be made into 2 sections to be bolted together after you receive it to save shipping cost.

ukewarrior
03-27-2016, 02:44 PM
I don't see where your original question was answered.

Yes, map gas is more than sufficient to that task. Better than just propane but not quite as good a pure acetylene.
I would use a solid 60/40 or 63/37 tin/lead solder (without internal rosin flux.)
This is the type used by stained glass artisans. You can get it a hobby lobby !
Wifey wants a peacock made up, since shipping to buy it would be quite high thought I would try making it.

How is copper to braze/solder with a map gas torch?

Alan