PDA

View Full Version : Newby......Help

joshlisa
09-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Please help me. I am a little over my head here. :confused::confused:
I have just finished building my 4 olsen 595 boards. I bought the CO-OP board and all the parts from mouser according to the parts list on the wiki.
I have put the LED's on wires as I want to mount them on a board with the ger behind. I have only managed to get the LED's done for one board so far plus 8 on the second board.
I am getting my power form the PC'c supply via a molex connector using the red and first black wires. This is as I believe 5V + and neg.
The Pos is going to the square pin at P1. I have a shunt installed at J1 and between 1+2 near the chips.
I have put the LED's in with the larger section (in the LED) on the flat side of LED mark on the PCB (the one with the square). I have put this in as I could not find any definitive indication anywhere.
The control cord I have made is from a network cable. Following the Pinout on this site I have wired it but wanted to check looking into the male DB25 connector with the smaller amount of pins to the bottom, Pin one is in the top left corner and counts around clockwise. The DB25 I got was marked different.
Firstly I connected my first 595 up and got some random LED's on. One 595 got hot. I checked. In backwards. DOH. I changed this and the ULN out for new ones. I plugged this back in and got random LED's.
It seems that I do not have control. Could this be a problem with the port? is there a way to check? I have checked all the BIOS settings and nothing. The Power LED's light and stay on.
Oh there was this one thing. when I was removing the RJ45 to look at it the LED's changed from all on to some on then when wiggled they changed again.
I have tried removing all the chips and just adding one set at a time but to no luck.
I am using Vixen 1.1.1 with the Olsen 595 plug in.
Sorry for jumping all over the place but I just wanted to cover it all.
I have basically zero skill at this stuff so basic language pleeeeeeeease
I am lost and any help would be great.
Josh

prof
09-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Some of the markings on the DB25 connectors can be a bit confusing at times but the pinout is standard. Your cable wiring should match with this diagram. http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_GRINCH_Controller#Connection

Is you plugin set up similar to the pic (using lpt1 and a single board)

klanger
09-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Josh,

When you first plug in the 595 you will get random leds lighting up, this is normal, dont worry I had the same scare when I first powered mine.

If you have set up vixen, run a small test sequence, the sequence should end with all the channels set to off. This should settle the leds down. It will flick random leds on whenever you plug it in.

If when you run a sequence and nothing happens we will then look at something else.

Kev.

joshlisa
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I am at work now but the wiring pics look like what I have but I will double check when I get home. Not great when products are marked different.
Klanger. I have tried running a test programe and tried the channel test putting just a few on and tried the all on all off options. I have set vixen up like your example. I did not run a short test ending with all off. I will give this a go tonight and cross my fingers. Just a thought. The PC i am running this on is a freeby from a work mate. An old P3. I have not had anything running off the printer port to make sure it works and I do not have an old printer or anything laying around to test it. Windows says it is working OK but is there any way to test that it is working for sure????
I have another PC inside but for some reason Vixen wont run on this so I cannot test with this:mad:.
Thanks for your help thus far.
Josh

joshlisa
09-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Oh my. I had the control cable wrong.

Slap Forehead repeatedly.

A combination of Klangers and Profs advice and well....Blinky flashy:D:D

Now all I need to do is build these SSR's before Christmas. Wright my show. Programme it. Set it up.... how long till show time?????

Thanks for all your help guys and thanks for putting up with us newbys.

Josh

klanger
09-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Glad to hear yopu got it sorted, it is that problem usually that people trip over, dont feel bad, your not the first and wont be the last. And now you can add your tips to the next person who asks why theirs wont work.;)

Macrosill
09-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Glad to hear it is working for you.