PDA

View Full Version : BBB rev C or BBB rev B, when working with P10 panel matrix?

NkySpike65
02-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Is there any real need to use the newer BeagleBone Black Rev-C (4G) over the BeagleBone Black Rev-B (2gb), when working with Octoscroller and sixteen P10 panel matrix setup?
I'm seeing around a $5 price difference between the two. I was thinking if the BBB Rev-C is an over kill for my sixteen P10 panel setup, I might as well save myself some money (shipping) and just get the BBB Rev-B (2gb).

Thanks for any info,

David

tucsonlights
02-16-2016, 05:18 PM
I would stick with the REV C. The image for the FPP is around 1.9 Gb. If using the eMMC option for loading the FPP you will run into issues. If using the Usb option of loading the FPP then it shouldn't be a problem but then you lose your USB port.

NkySpike65
02-16-2016, 05:39 PM
I would stick with the REV C. The image for the FPP is around 1.9 Gb. If using the eMMC option for loading the FPP you will run into issues. If using the Usb option of loading the FPP then it shouldn't be a problem but then you lose your USB port.

Thanks for the info!

CaptainMurdoch
02-16-2016, 10:50 PM
We are working on getting the install image smaller but I would still go for the Rev C for future proofing. :) I have a single B and all my others are C's even though I do boot some off the SD card.

mrGrumpy
02-17-2016, 12:12 AM
So, if I have a BBB rev B, (sealed) is it possible to load FPP eMMC, or do I need to sell it and buy rev C. I use USB for WiFi, and I don't want to hang a hub on it.

CaptainMurdoch
02-17-2016, 02:36 AM
I believe the eMMC image will only work on a Rev C. We intend that the new eMMC image for FPP v2.x later this year will work on the Rev B with 2GB eMMC. We are already working on the new images which will be the basis for the v2.x versions.

dkulp
02-17-2016, 09:06 AM
A BeagleBone green should work for the octo if you need to save a few dollars.

djl7780
02-17-2016, 11:59 AM

I run my Matrix off of a Beagle Bone green, booting off of the eMMC, no issues at all.

CaptainMurdoch
02-17-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanks, I keep forgetting about those. I need to pickup one sometime.