PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Question

Kev7274
02-15-2016, 06:23 AM
I see that Eth0 and Wlan0 need to be on different subnets,does that mean that either wired or wireless needs to be used at any given time? Both can't be used at the same time? I'm going to be using wifi for testing purposes only.

Wlan0 192.168.0.xxx
Eth0 192.168.1.xxx

JCook
02-15-2016, 07:09 AM
The eth0 sends the data to your controllers, the wlan0 will let you talk to the pi only then. On the wifi you couldn't talk directly to the controllers, they are on different subnet. I added a wifi access point on the same subnet as the controllers so I can pull up their config pages on my iPad. My eth0 and access point are connected to a 8 port switch, along with my 6 controllers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCook
02-15-2016, 08:21 PM
My layout is in this thread, download the pdf, the last page has how i connected the pi, switch, wifi, controllers etc.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?41966-First-Year-Layout

MartinMueller2003
02-15-2016, 09:08 PM
First off, both eth0 AND wlan0 CAN be on the same subnet (That is how my network is set up). Next, eth0 and wlan0 CAN both be up at the same time (it takes a little extra configuration to turn off the code that enorces the wlan vs eth0 rues). However, it is not very usefull to have wlan and eth on the same subnet and turned on at the same time. It is usefull to have them turned on at the same time when they are on different subnets. This is all personal opinion. I have had both wlan and eth turned on and on the same subnet. The bridge code in the PI will use the eth interace over the wlan interface but that to can be changed with config settings.

Kev7274
02-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have a Ubiquiti AP sending my Wifi signal from my main wifi router in my house to my work shed and I use it for basic internet video streaming,etc.
I don't have an extra RJ45 jack available on the AP to connect a PI,etc so I can get into the interface,that's why I was trying to get Wifi working so I can actually get into the interface to do some testing.
I guess I could get a wireless router to connect to my AP and use it for the wifi and the ethernet connection.

Kev7274
02-15-2016, 09:17 PM
First off, both eth0 AND wlan0 CAN be on the same subnet (That is how my network is set up). Next, eth0 and wlan0 CAN both be up at the same time (it takes a little extra configuration to turn off the code that enorces the wlan vs eth0 rues). However, it is not very usefull to have wlan and eth on the same subnet and turned on at the same time. It is usefull to have them turned on at the same time when they are on different subnets. This is all personal opinion. I have had both wlan and eth turned on and on the same subnet. The bridge code in the PI will use the eth interace over the wlan interface but that to can be changed with config settings.

Could I use the eth0 on the same subnet when needed and then change that subnet to a different subnet so I can use the Wifi to do testing on the correct subnet?Hope that makes sense.
I have actually had eth0 and wlan0 worikng at the same time,but once I unplug the ethernet cable and reboot,wifi doesn't work.

MartinMueller2003
02-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have a Ubiquiti AP sending my Wifi signal from my main wifi router in my house to my work shed and I use it for basic internet video streaming,etc.
I don't have an extra RJ45 jack available on the AP to connect a PI,etc so I can get into the interface,that's why I was trying to get Wifi working so I can actually get into the interface to do some testing.
I guess I could get a wireless router to connect to my AP and use it for the wifi and the ethernet connection.

I use a cisco media bridge to get eth cable connections via wifi at a variety of locations (read feed f16v2 via wifi). That would give you some wired devices at a remote location. However, if you power up a properly configured PI with just a wifi adapter, you should get connected without problems.

Kev7274
02-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Guess I should try to get connected in the shed using the wifi adapter first,no ethernet.
Then get some sort of hub that I can connect to the wifi,but give me hard wired options.

MartinMueller2003
02-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Could I use the eth0 on the same subnet when needed and then change that subnet to a different subnet so I can use the Wifi to do testing on the correct subnet?Hope that makes sense.
I have actually had eth0 and wlan0 worikng at the same time,but once I unplug the ethernet cable and reboot,wifi doesn't work.

yes but dhcp would do this for you automatically

Kev7274
02-15-2016, 09:42 PM
yes but dhcp would do this for you automatically

So just let the router assign the iP?

JCook
02-15-2016, 09:49 PM
So just let the router assign the iP?

Yes you can use dynamic ip, you may want to consider setting a satic one later.