PDA

View Full Version : Wire Frame Skating Bear

FishKing
02-03-2016, 11:27 AM
I'd like to add a bear in different positions skating across my yard made out of wire frame forms. Has anyone done this before or can someone point me in the right direction on the best way to do this. Thanks, Dale

flstc_93
02-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a time consuming job but can be done. what I have done is find the image you want to work with. I google images of what I am looking for, using only non copywrite images. in your case find a skating bear. print the image, trace the outline that would be used to make your frame. perhaps you can photoshop the legs and arms to adjust their position. I then scan my traced image/s at high resolution, enlarge the traced image to desired size, then print on wide format printer. that gives me a template to cut and bend my wire to. I use 1/4 steel. weld away, a couple coats of rust-oleum, attach lights and your good to go. depending on the size you desire you may need to print in 2 parts (1/2) for each position and tape the halves together for your template. Most wide format printers I have access to limit me to 24" width. I have done a life-size Santa that walks across my roof, snowmen having a snowball fight, snowmen sliding down a hill and a large train and many others using this method.

THurrle
02-05-2016, 10:15 AM
I find the images I want load them in the computer and project them on a piece of plywood using Paint and then adjust the projection to the size I need and trace it. You can also trace on a large sheet of that brown paper that you can get at the store in rolls. You just tape what ever amount you need together and trace away. Then lay it on plywood put screws into the wood through the paper around the drawing and bend your rod to the shape of your drawing. Takes time but you will be pleased with the result of your work if you take your time doing it. You can find some good buys on used projectors on ebay. Sometime local schools have them for sale. I picked up a used Mitsubishi for $50.00 on ebay.
Terry