PDA

View Full Version : Template How to for Snowflake Wireframe.

nailhead_ford
02-03-2016, 01:14 AM
I have seen a few posts on this board on how to physically construct a snowflake jig for a wireframe, but I have not seen anything (or that my searches have led me to) that shows how to construct the template on MDF that is the basis for the jig. So here is how I did mine.
This is for an approximately 36” snowflake. This snowflake will require 216 pixels at 1” spacing or 126 pixels at 2” spacing.

Items needed:
1. Minimum 36” X 36” piece of Ύ” MDF
2. Straight Edge > 4’ (I used a 4’ for drawing and 6’ for cuts)
3. Protractor
4. Bar Compass
5. 4’ section of 1” pixel node strip from Holiday Coro
6. Pencil

Step 1
Draw a line down the center of the MDF. Mark the center of the line. This center mark will be the reference point for your spokes. Now go to both ends of the line and make ½” marks on both sides of the line. With your straight edge, draw a line connecting the dots to make two lines. These lines will be 1” apart (1/2” apart from the center line).

nailhead_ford
02-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Step 2

Place your protractor on the center line with the reference point on the protractor on your center mark. Mark off 60 degrees and 120 degrees. Rotate your protractor 180 degrees and again mark 60 degrees and 120 degrees. With your straight edge make two lines using the 60 degree markers through the center mark. As in step one, make 1” parallel lines like you did for the first two spokes. Lay the 4’ section of 1” pixel node strip onto one of the spokes to where the center line of the three parallel lines bisects all the holes. Hole number 19 will be the center hole. Trace all 37 holes onto the MDF (18 left, 1 center, 18 right). Rotate the 4’ section of 1” pixel node strip 60 degrees and repeat the process (2X)

nailhead_ford
02-03-2016, 01:17 AM
Step 3

Place the reference on you bar compass on the center of the snow flake. Use your bar compass to make circles that bisect pixel holes 11, 12, 17 and 18. These circles will be used to construct the branches.

nailhead_ford
02-03-2016, 01:24 AM
Step 4

Count down 7 pixel holes from the end and mark with an X. Rotate the pixel node strip at the pixel hole marked with an X until the last hole on the pixel strip bisects the circle at circle at connect hole 17s. (you could technically use your protractor again and mark a 60 degree angle. I did not do this since my 4 year old ran off with my protractor. This method will also net you 60 degrees and is not really any slower. It also allows you to visualize where the pixels will be. You don’t want the any of the outside parallel lines in the any of the pixel holes. This is where the hanger wire will be and it is rather difficult to run pixels through hanger wire.) Mark the center of the circle on the where it intersects the hole 17 circle. Repeat process for the other side of the spoke. Repeat for all other spokes. Use a straight edge to connect the reference hole on the spoke to the intersection mark. Repeat the process in step 1 for the 1” parallel lines. Place the pixel node strip on the branch with a hole on the spoke reference hole and trace out 6 holes. Repeat for other side of spoke. The repeat for all other spokes. You now have the 12 outer branches.

nailhead_ford
02-03-2016, 01:25 AM
Step 5

Count 6 pixel holes from the snowflake center and mark with an X. Use the same process in Step 5 but referencing the circles at pixel hole 11 and 12. The only difference is you only trace out 3 pixel holes for each inner branch compared to the 6 on the outer branches.

Step 6

Now that you have all your spokes, outer branches, and inner branches laid out with all the pixel hole locations identified. It is time to layout the bracing. I made bracing for the inner branches and the outer branches. For the inner branch bracing I used my bar compass to draw a circle between pixel holes 8 and 9 on the spokes. Before I drew the line I went around making sure the bracing line did not intersect any hole on any spoke or branch. This is why drawing all 216 pixel holes is advantageous. It is hard to run a pixel through hanger wire. When you have found a radius that doesn’t intersect the pixel holes, draw your circle. I repeated the same process for the outer branches drawing a circle between spoke holes 16 and 17.

nailhead_ford
02-03-2016, 01:26 AM
Recommendation. When using a spiral cutting tool. Make sure the bit is spinning towards your guide. If not it WILL wander off. And you will have a bad line. Lesson learned.

I hope this thread will help someone out.

Thank you.

MikeKrebs
02-03-2016, 10:50 AM
How much of the wood did you cut away?

nailhead_ford
02-03-2016, 11:13 AM
How much of the wood did you cut away?
The depth of my guide was at 1/8". My spiral cut bit was a 1/8". A 12ga hanger wire fits nice and snug.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

nailhead_ford
02-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Just an in process picture

nailhead_ford
02-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Just have to clip the excess hanger wire and button up the wiring. What the jig template above will get you.