PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for creating simple images for a matrix

ChristmasBuddy
01-20-2016, 03:46 PM
While I am building my matrix I thought I would throw out some
ideas that I had for creating simple images for my specific matrix
configuration. I know you can send an image to a matrix but I
wanted to have simple graphical images for displaying in my song.
Here is a link that I found.
http://www.text-image.com/convert/matrix.html

After I saw the capability I took a simple Christmas Tree coloring page
and had the site process it. Here is my example. Not bad.

Another simple method that I thought about was using a Lite Brite
toy. Searching in Google images for "lite brite christmas templates"
I saw some neat images. I think we have one of these in the attic.

I then thought about hanging my matrix (turned off) and then displaying
an image to using an overhead projector. Marking the appropriate pixels
and then turning them on. I hear that "overhead projectors" are fairly
affordable on eBay so I might spring for that.

Anyone else?

angus40
01-20-2016, 06:37 PM
You will need to play with that some on your actual lights .

From experience creating various images etc , the tree image that you posted will be hardly if at all viewable on a matrix

best of luck with your testing .

DrNeutron
01-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Try Piskel
http://www.piskelapp.com/
I found this to be an awesome tool for creating pixel art and very easy to use. Doing any kind of animation on a low resolution matrix is super easy using this tool as well.
For sample images just google some and reproduce them on the size canvas you set (L x W of matrix), search for pixel art.

ChristmasBuddy
01-21-2016, 06:44 AM
That's awesome Phil.

I'm thinking this one may be the best path.

Buddy

DrNeutron
01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
You'll be working for Disney doing animation in no time flat!
:thup:

That tool was a real gem for me this year and last. It allowed me to size things correctly for my ray tree (12 X 30) and the animations were spot on. Xlights has the effect assist window as well that will allow you to edit images (or create them) and this works great, but I found Piskel to be best for making animations as it is easy to copy the image and move it on the canvas and then save it and add another same as you would make a comic strip.
Have fun!

toozie21
01-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Try Piskel
http://www.piskelapp.com/
I found this to be an awesome tool for creating pixel art and very easy to use. Doing any kind of animation on a low resolution matrix is super easy using this tool as well.
For sample images just google some and reproduce them on the size canvas you set (L x W of matrix), search for pixel art.
Could you elaborate on what you were googling and reproducing (I am being dense this morning)? Are you saying that to google something you want, and then redraw it by hand on the canvas to try to mimic it? Or was there something else you were driving at?

Gilrock
01-21-2016, 10:55 AM
You'll be working for Disney doing animation in no time flat!
:thup:

That tool was a real gem for me this year and last. It allowed me to size things correctly for my ray tree (12 X 30) and the animations were spot on. Xlights has the effect assist window as well that will allow you to edit images (or create them) and this works great, but I found Piskel to be best for making animations as it is easy to copy the image and move it on the canvas and then save it and add another same as you would make a comic strip.
Have fun!

Yes I'm actually using Piskel as my inspiration for how the picture drawing tool works in xLights. I recently added the copy/paste tool so you can copy sections of a picture and paste it elsewhere on the picture. I want to add transparency and I want to be able to create GIF animations so the stuff you can do in Piskel is on my wish list to be built in to the Pictures Effect Assist window. Here's a short video showing that latest feature I added plus it gives you an indication of the capabilities we have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkzS8RDqBK8

toozie21
01-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Yes I'm actually using Piskel as my inspiration for how the picture drawing tool works in xLights. I recently added the copy/paste tool so you can copy sections of a picture and paste it elsewhere on the picture. I want to add transparency and I want to be able to create GIF animations so the stuff you can do in Piskel is on my wish list to be built in to the Pictures Effect Assist window. Here's a short video showing that latest feature I added plus it gives you an indication of the capabilities we have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkzS8RDqBK8
Is it possible to just incorporate Piskel directly into XL? It is opensource and has an offline version (though I haven't played with it)?

Gilrock
01-21-2016, 11:16 AM
I don't know if it's possible but I'm far enough along writing my own stuff that I'm not going to look into that. For one it would need to be multi-platform code that runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and it would need to fit into our framework and use the wxWidgets base code for drawing the panels. The base code I use to draw the underlying grid is common to more than one effect. Currently I only use it for the Morph and the Pictures effect but others may come later. I actually created the grid drawing for the Morph positioning capability first and then added the Picture drawing capability later using the same base grid drawing class. You can see in this video below how I use the same grid to assist with positioning the Morph effect on a display element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNqOI9ECzA

ChristmasBuddy
01-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Eeeewwwwwww!!! I like that Gil.

Is that drawing window configurable? I haven't loaded XL in a while so I did not know that was a feature.

At some point, whether it is in my 2016 show of 2017 show, I hope I will have my 12 window matrix's built because I want to do the 12 days of Christmas with animated images for each day.

Buddy

DrNeutron
01-21-2016, 01:31 PM
Could you elaborate on what you were googling and reproducing (I am being dense this morning)? Are you saying that to google something you want, and then redraw it by hand on the canvas to try to mimic it? Or was there something else you were driving at?

Exactly...
If I wanted a picture of a minion, I would google Minion Pixel art.
This usually gives me some pictures with a grid over laid and gives me something to start with.
Pixel art is actually still a hot thing to do and even my daughter (13) loves making images......comes from a love of minecraft.

DrNeutron
01-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Love what you are doing GIL
This is exactly what I was hoping would have been incorporated into a sequencer to make creating images and animation that much easier.
Awesome Work!

Gilrock
01-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Eeeewwwwwww!!! I like that Gil.

Is that drawing window configurable? I haven't loaded XL in a while so I did not know that was a feature.

At some point, whether it is in my 2016 show of 2017 show, I hope I will have my 12 window matrix's built because I want to do the 12 days of Christmas with animated images for each day.

Buddy

I guess it depends on what you mean by "configurable". It is a dockable panel just like the effects, color palette, and other windows so its size and position is saved with the perspective. If you look under the Settings menu for the Effect Assist option there are 3 options: Always On, Always Off, and Toggle Mode. "Always On" means you always see the window and "Always Off" means you never see it until you choose a different option. "Toggle Mode" causes the window to only appear when you click on an effect that supports or uses that window so right now in Toggle mode the window would only appear if you click on a Morph or Pictures effect.

Gilrock
01-21-2016, 02:18 PM
So I guess one thing that's not clear is that you can't just open a tool and start drawing a picture. It's designed so that you are actually editing the picture attached to the Pictures effect. So really all you gotta do is drop a Pictures effect and click on it and as long as it's not set to "Always Off" you will get the picture drawing editor window where you can load and resize existing images or create/draw new ones.