PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Frame with small light count per channel (what to do with extra lights?)

imbluenote
01-15-2016, 01:53 PM
I picked up this wireframe from a seller on craigslist for $7.50.

It is a nicely built frame (1/4" rod), i was surprised when i picked it up. Regardless, my original intention was to just restring it and use as a static element, but after getting it there is a lot of space in the beard/mouth area that i am now thinking of trying to modify and add mouth positions to have a singing santa.

Working it through my head the one problem i keep coming back to is that some of the channels would likely be very short (like 10 lights maybe shorter). Since i have them i was planning on using Clear Incandescent on white string. other than using black out caps and having 40 extra lights blacked out and hiding the extra somewhere, (which would wind up getting messy) are there any other suggestions or techniques for a doing this?

I could possibly use LED and shorten the strings with the string shortening boards, but i don't have any LED's on white strings and i don't really want to buy any more.

Thanks

algerdes
01-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Someone on the site put together a "singing snowman" using an old screen door (great job, but the way). A close inspection of this showed a small plastic box on the back where all the "extra" lights were put to get them out of view. The top was closed and they had all the lengths of lights showing with all the extras neatly tucked away. A very good idea, for sure.

toozie21
01-15-2016, 02:04 PM
What about something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-String-White-Cord-Clear-lights-Light-Strand-10-count-/262180852074?hash=item3d0b32516a:g:husAAOSw5VFWJDS i

imbluenote
01-15-2016, 02:13 PM
You both gave me good ideas, I remember seeing the screen door thing, I forgot about the boxes that would conceal better.

I am also planning on converting some candy canes with 20 ct clear strands to rgb so I could use those as well so I don't have to at least hide as much.