PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Dirty mini trees

Jeff Millard
09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Wanna solve the GFCI problem? Make a bunch of 'em in a short period of time? See all the lights? The wife had a great idea!!!! Stretch Wrap!

Jeff

Jeff Millard
09-07-2008, 06:36 PM
The rest of the pictures.... Just need to be wrapped with 300 minis now!

omzig
09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Cool!...I know I've got a big roll of the stuff somewhere.

How do you attach the lights?

Jeff Millard
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Wrap 'em and wire ties. I poked it right through. It didn't take near as many as usual. The wire sticks to the stretch wrap and stays put. I'm so glad i tried it when Dawn suggested it. I've got six assembled so far. I don't want to use up any more multi set as I only have enough for another project. I'm considering making these both white and multi... I can't wait until the mini lights hit the shelves at Lowes.

Photovor
09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Redneck version:
Use the colored saran wrap that comes in the pink/red or green colors. Insert 1 white flood underneath tree, and you're done :-).

Actually... I'd be interested in seeing how this looked with just the clear saran wrap, and 3 rgb MR16's underneath controlled by a dimming controller.

lbro
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Actually... I'd be interested in seeing how this looked with just the clear saran wrap, and 3 rgb MR16's underneath controlled by a dimming controller.

That sounds like it would be cool! but may need to use something stronger han saran wrap.

Photovor
09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
That sounds like it would be cool! but may need to use something stronger han saran wrap.

I was kinda starting to think pallet wrap (like you can get at staples or officemax). I know it weathers better, and has higher heat resistance... If I had some at home, i'd try this. I need to pick up some of those MR16's./

WWNF911
09-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Wanna solve the GFCI problem? Make a bunch of 'em in a short period of time? See all the lights? The wife had a great idea!!!! Stretch Wrap!

Jeff

Jeff Your wife is a genius!!! Saves me from wrapping the bottoms with pipe unsulation.

Now to get out the hose and do the rain test. :shock:

Leon

Virtus
09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Now to get out the hose and do the rain test. :shock:

Leon

Quick and Dirty mini trees

I see how these are "quick" but I didn't see the "dirty" part...but I must be wrong because Leon's getting out the hose! ;)

mwo040
10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Redneck version:
Use the colored saran wrap that comes in the pink/red or green colors. Insert 1 white flood underneath tree, and you're done :-).

I think using this method with 3 different colored floodlights and the clear saran wrap would give even more options as opposed to the colored saran wrap. I also have to agree that using the shipping wrap from Office Depot or the like would be better in the weather. Big plus is if you need somewhere to store them you can always take them apart and use them to grow Tomatoes during the summer. That will always make the Wife happy with fresh tomatoes .

kychristmas
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm a noob and am not aware of GCFI problems with these trees. What causes the problem and how does the wrap fix it?

Trip
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm a noob and am not aware of GCFI problems with these trees. What causes the problem and how does the wrap fix it?

The trees are made of metal which touch the ground and water is a good conductor. Plastic, not so much good of a conductor.

Cburg
01-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I recall from my catering days (a long time ago) that restaurant wrap is heaver that household saran wrap and came in colors.

Looks, like I have a new project! (Thanks Dawn)

dadams14
05-22-2009, 07:52 AM
how do you keep them from blowing over?
Thanks

IdunBenhad
05-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi:
I've never seen stretch wrap in colors, but that means nothing, as I don't see too much stretch wrap anywhere!

Why not wrap the colored Saran Wrap around the form first and then cover it with the stretch wrap? Now we got color and strength.

Just a suggestion.

Idun

rkhanso
05-24-2009, 01:48 AM
How about a layer of stretch wrap, a string of red lights, a layer of stretch wrap, a layer of green lights, a layer of stretch wrap, a layer of clear lights (and so on...)
You get strength and separation of lights without having to 'tie them down' to the wire frame - the plastic holds the lights down.

But - this is coming from someone who has not built any light display yet, just my first year. The SS24 boards are built and working, though.

ErnieHorning
05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
How about a layer of stretch wrap, a string of red lights, a layer of stretch wrap, a layer of green lights, a layer of stretch wrap, a layer of clear lights (and so on...)This could put a damper on your self esteem if the string goes out on the inner most layer and you have to peel off three layer to fix it..:(

rkhanso
05-25-2009, 02:29 AM
But - this is coming from someone who has not built any light display yet, just my first year.
See what I mean.

chilloutdocdoc
05-25-2009, 10:37 AM
See what I mean.

we all started at the beginning. so don't worry, just saves the long way of having to fix that bottom string, Unless you were creative enough to build them in layers so that you could just lift of the entire color, then that'd be an awesome idea LOL

dadams14
05-29-2009, 07:15 AM
My trees must be anchored into the ground or the wind plays havoc with them ...
I don't see where anybody addresses this problem.
What do you do about keeping them in place?
Thanks in advance
Dennis

dnesci
05-29-2009, 08:49 AM
My trees must be anchored into the ground or the wind plays havoc with them ...
I don't see where anybody addresses this problem.
What do you do about keeping them in place?
Thanks in advance
Dennis

See post #51 here http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455&page=6

ppohlman
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
See post #51 here http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455&page=6

There are actually a bunch of different ideas in that thread. Read through the whole thing to get some good ideas.

51fordf2
05-29-2009, 10:06 AM
4,000 lights on each!! They'll stay down in anything short of a hurricane...

http://www.crbest.com/lmao.gif

kidding aside, thanks for the link! I was concerned about the same thing. Mine are actual artificial 3' trees, basically, "wind sails"!

R

John Benedict
08-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Tent Stakes! I have been using them for a few years now. The aluminum ones from coleman are the best for me.